Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I just came across an interesting article on CNN
    http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...needs-android/

Do you think Palm should give up its own OS and become a smartphone designer/manufacturer like HTC?
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    For crying out loud - I totally believe Palm should scrap their OS & go with Android.

PALM, if you're reading...give it up, thx for the golden years but the smartphone landscape has changed drastically. I've been hoping for a Palm & Google partnership and even better HTC & Palm! Palm could use some of HTC's creativity and future vision, which they lack.
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
    For crying out loud - I totally believe Palm should scrap their OS & go with Android.
    And what would the point in that be They would then be competing with HTC who of course are an OEM/ODM for Palm, so in effect HTC competing with itself. To compete they need an edge and they wont have that if they're just another Android producer.
    My point was to have Palm & HTC collaborate on phone design, since Palm has a weak R&D. HTC phones are brilliant, but Windows Mobile platform ruins it!

Palm alone can't compete against other Platforms at this stage...I don't want Palm to be lost & forgotten.
    I agree. Let palm be palm. What is with this desire to have everyone on the same OS? Palm doesn't have a prayer unless they get back to having their own OS.
    It all comes down to software developers making money! Which platform will they choose? They won't waste time/money on a Platform that doesn't sell.
    Have you guys thought about why Google make the mobile OS? The answer can be applied to Palm.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Have you guys thought about why Google make the mobile OS?
    Google aim to make their money through direct advertising on the phone, same way as they do via the web.

I haven't used an Android based phone and I'm guessing no one here has either, yet people seem to have given it the winners medal already.

I'm waiting to see how good Nova is before making a judgement on whether Palm have done the wrong or right thing.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Google aim to make their money through direct advertising on the phone, same way as they do via the web.

I haven't used an Android based phone and I'm guessing no one here has either, yet people seem to have given it the winners medal already.

I'm waiting to see how good Nova is before making a judgement on whether Palm have done the wrong or right thing.
    That's the problem with Palm...we are still waiting...now we find out that 1st quarter delivery has slipped to first half of 2009, while I too would want a Palm specific OS, I would not be surprised if Palm came out with an Android based device as some point...Palm just doesnt have the resourses anymore to compete in the real world against the likes of Google, Windows and Apple
    That's nonsense really. It's not as if google will be able to issue out updates very quickly since its an OS for a million cellphone makers. Same with WM.

Apple's core weakness is a lack of basic features with huge controls in place by apple & at&t and being restricted to at&t.

There's PLENTY of room to compete and even the old palm OS is still competitive if not still superior in some ways to all of the "modern" OS's.

Yes, it's an uphill battle. Yes, Palm should've had it out yesterday. Yes, palm's name brand isn't the best right now after taking a bashing in the last few years. But staying the course with their own OS is their best bet to regain anything like they had.

If palm went android, they'd be one among the many who appear to be coming out with such devices. In addition, this google OS has not proven to be anything worthy of such hype yet. Honestly, i look forward more to see what palm has going than any android device.