Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by smci View Post
    I'm just astonished that you all seem to be happy accepting Palm killing off legacy Treo support BEFORE the Nova replacement for PalmOS is launched.
    That's really the core issue. For almost a year now, developers have avoided considering POS while waiting for Nova or jumping ship. And because no new software comes out for the Treo, it becomes a less compelling platform. With no roadmap for POS devices, Palm is basically telling the world that Palm is dead without the help of their detractors.

And let's face it. Even if Nova is a spiritual experience, there's probably too much momentum behind Apple's, RIM's and Google's platforms for it to gain traction quickly enough to have a real impact. As much as I respect Rubinstein's overall stewardship in product development, this whole, "We're over incremental improvements" philosophy is making the public forget Palm's existence due to a slow release cycle in face of iPhones and G1s.
    Though I like shiny new gadgets as much as the next person, my current Treo (I have a 680) has everything I want in a smartphone ;
    Chatteremail, 4cast, tasks memos and calendar, Callrec, GoogleMaps, IPcalc, Minuteur2, TomTom, QuickNews, StockManager, TomeRaider (with the now quite old Wikipedia), and Metro.
    Not sure that the iPhone can match that just yet, I've started a switchers thread so iPhone users can tell me what comparable apps there are.

So whilst the iPhone certainly looks attractive (Being able to really synchronize anything wirelessly without having to use Exchange would be incredible), but does it really have anything important that a Centro/Treo doesn't?

Perhaps an active developer community is that important thing and it's such a pity Palm didn't nurture the one they had.

(I've been a devoted Palm user (consumer/tinkerer) since I bought a PalmIII back in '96)
    Last edited by tomtastic; 10/23/2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Now, if the Storm isn't to my liking (and I have a feeling I will be solely disappointed by some aspect of it that POS still excels in, such as PIM functionality or battery life)
    Battery life for RIM devices has always been much better than for PALM devices so I doubt you would be sorely disappointed. BB PIM functionality is adequate but not as good as 3rd Party PIMs on POS.

Your more likely to be dissapointed by the Storms's messaging functionality. The email client is not as good as Chattermail if you don't have a corporate email server. SMS messages aren't threaded either.
    I am a little confused: I thought that PalmOS was owned by Access and that Palm owned the hardware (treo, centro, whatever).

Is Palm supposed to make the changes to the PalmOS (garnet)?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm has a perpetual license to Garnet from Access to basically do whatever they want with it and to it.

Right now, no one can be bothered with making any kind of improvements to a moribund OS like FrankenGarnet...
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Has anyone use the 3rd party todo app that's available on the 3G?
    How does it compare to the native Palm todo/task app and 2day by ShSh?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post

TIA
    Anyone?
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Palm has a perpetual license to Garnet from Access to basically do whatever they want with it and to it.

Right now, no one can be bothered with making any kind of improvements to a moribund OS like FrankenGarnet...
    LOL; FrankenGarnet
    I have been watching the comments here and there are many parallels here that I have noticed.

I have seen companies literally force their customers move from one release to the next and then the next in sucession. The clients do it because they like the product.

Then there is a change in the mind set of the client.

Sooner or later the clients realize that it is all software and they are the Client. No Software is the end all and be all of software.

So in the end the Clients get tired of no response from the C Level people. No response from the customer service people. No response from anyone that can make a difference. So you ask what happens?

Over the years with C level change overs there are changes where the client numbers were 2000, then 1600, then 1200, then 800 and they C level people say we are still leading in our markets and verticals. But over all they have lost over half of the client base. What is wrong. The Chairman of the Board and the Board is what is wrong. Who is ultimately responsible for the plight of where things are?

The Board of Directors. They are who should have their feet held to the fire. When Wall Street has ceased to be an impact and those that are making money are only the upper crust and the board, then you have to ask what exactly is going on? Who is really running this show and exactly what are their goals?

If providing an Innovative Product that Wows the industry is not the answer and I beleive that is the furthest thing from their minds at this point in time, considering how the clients and customers are being treated and the partners and the developers outside the company are being treated. The legal approach and reproaches delivered speaks volumes.

Palm as we knew it is Dead. It long since left the market place before ALP and the Sale of Garnet. That was the signal that the direction had been lost. Now bringing in a new architect at the 10:30 hour is in my estimation a day late and a dollar short. Especially when the true reigns of power appear to be in Korea and not California and Cupertino.

Until some signs of life of the OLD Palm reveal themselves and they MUST reveal themselves YESTERDAY, I would say that this company is the victim of a Foreign Take Over that was undeclared and that the stock holders should seriously consider an indepth investigation as to exactly what they are getting for their invested money.

Those that are driving this ship are not in touch with their base and not happy with the current direction.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post

TIA
    I was a Palm / Treo user from the beginning with the last being the 650. I have had my own business for 30 + years and loved the Palm OS. A few months ago I went with the 3G. I am a moderate email user and seldom text. It has been a tough adjustment, the Palm OS spoils you but I am really enjoying the iPhone. It certainly has its limitations like all of you have said. I use Toodledo for my task manager, Memengo Wallet to replace memos the 'private portion and a combo of the google calendar with the MS calendar to sync. It's a pain in the you know what. I looked at the Pro but not yet. Would I come back? I think with the development of the Android G1, the Nokia 97 and the BB Storm that Palm for me is history. It's sad because like most of you I was a die hard Palm person. I forced my self to learn the MS OS and that has opened the door to all smart phones that use MS. My 650 still sits in its cradle next to my Tungsten and the iPhone. I look at it and think what could have been. Well enough ramblings, hope this provides some insight.

Jerry
    Are you a Mac user? Because you don't really need to force yourself to learn the WM OS that much. It's a miniature version of the desktop, so once you realize that, it's a lot easier to deal with(sort of, lol).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by glsda View Post
    I use Toodledo for my task manager, Memengo Wallet to replace memos the 'private portion and a combo of the google calendar with the MS calendar to sync. It's a pain in the you know what.
    Jerry
    Tks for the info.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Are you a Mac user? Because you don't really need to force yourself to learn the WM OS that much. It's a miniature version of the desktop, so once you realize that, it's a lot easier to deal with(sort of, lol).
    I have to disagree. I'm a Windows user, never owned a Mac.
    I'm currently using the Samsung Omnia i910 (WM 6.1), coming from the Treo 700P.
    It isn't the OS that's the problem, it's the features and its behavior.

For instance, with the threaded messaging on the 700P, I can tell it to only use threaded messaging after the recipient has replied. On the Omnia it's on or off, so every message I send immediately starts a chat and goes into my sent folder as well as my inbox, I also can't resend a message.

The email client doesn't remember previously entered addresses. Every time I want to send an email, I either have to go into contacts and select to send that person a message or I have to start typing the recipients name and hit check names.
    I don't have to do any of that on my desktop or on my 700P.

Another difference with WM is the X in the right hand corner of the applications. It just minimizes the programs, it doesn't close them. Therefore you either have to go into task manager and end the task, or get a third party app that changes the X from minimize to close.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I am a PC user. There is this tiny ray of hope that Palm will come out with the device that 'knocks your socks off'. Like the Treo 600 and then the 650. I guess that phrase dates me. I don't know the current lingo for that in todays young people speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I have to disagree. I'm a Windows user, never owned a Mac.
    I'm currently using the Samsung Omnia i910 (WM 6.1), coming from the Treo 700P.
    It isn't the OS that's the problem, it's the features and its behavior.

For instance, with the threaded messaging on the 700P, I can tell it to only use threaded messaging after the recipient has replied. On the Omnia it's on or off, so every message I send immediately starts a chat and goes into my sent folder as well as my inbox, I also can't resend a message.

The email client doesn't remember previously entered addresses. Every time I want to send an email, I either have to go into contacts and select to send that person a message or I have to start typing the recipients name and hit check names.
    I don't have to do any of that on my desktop or on my 700P.

Another difference with WM is the X in the right hand corner of the applications. It just minimizes the programs, it doesn't close them. Therefore you either have to go into task manager and end the task, or get a third party app that changes the X from minimize to close.
    You are aware that this is common on the desktop too? I look under task manager constantly to shut down stuff that never really shut down on the desktop.

And on my device the threaded text messaging is automatic. And I have Samsungs too. Resend a message by copying and pasting it if need be. And my device does remember previous addresses, especially if entered more than once. Did you put your settings on "suggest text"? Sometimes that helps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You are aware that this is common on the desktop too? I look under task manager constantly to shut down stuff that never really shut down on the desktop.

And on my device the threaded text messaging is automatic. And I have Samsungs too. Resend a message by copying and pasting it if need be. And my device does remember previous addresses, especially if entered more than once. Did you put your settings on "suggest text"? Sometimes that helps.
    The apps on my desktop are closed when I hit X, they are not in my running tasks. The only time they aren't closed is when they are hung, and that usually only happens with Mozilla.

Yes, I can resend by jumping through hoops, but on the 700P I could just save the text message hit resend. I used it all the time when sending messages to my pool team.

My Treo remembered addresses in messaging as well as email, my Omnia doesn't. I don't use the word completion because it annoys me while typing.
    That's not true, look under task manager to see just how much stuff keeps running. Adobe runs even after the reader is supposedly shut down, Nero runs depending on the program, WMP still runs. I could go on.

As for messaging, you can just copy and paste in 2 seconds then resend to the same number. It's true you can't resend the same exact message, unless it's in your drafts, but even then you still may have to reenter the number. And that's certainly a flaw.

Word completion can indeed be annoying but it certainly helps when the machine remembers stuff I'm too lazy to reenter or look up, LOL! Like long email addresses.

That's not true, look under task manager to see just how much stuff keeps running. Adobe runs even after the reader is supposedly shut down, Nero runs depending on the program, WMP still runs. I could go on.

As for messaging, you can just copy and paste in 2 seconds then resend to the same number. It's true you can't resend the same exact message, unless it's in your drafts, but even then you still may have to reenter the number. And that's certainly a flaw.

Word completion can indeed be annoying but it certainly helps when the machine remembers stuff I'm too lazy to reenter or look up, LOL! Like long email addresses.
    Yes there are a lot of background processes that are always running, but I'm talking about the apps.
    If I hit the X while using Mozilla and I go to running tasks, Mozilla is not there.
    If I hit X on the cmd window and go to task manager, it's gone.
    It's the same with Putty, IE, Palm Desktop, windows explorer, outlook, control panel, Paint, notes, DVD player, etc.

Hitting the X on any of the apps on Windows Mobile they are only minimized but they are all still running.
    The unnecessary background processes and programs eat up either memory or CPU, and also on Vista sometimes prevent me from removing hardware until I shut them down in task manager. Just as annoying as the "no true close X" on WM if you ask me. They are almost the same IMO, unnecessary stuff running even when you thought you'd shut them down.

The unnecessary background processes and programs eat up either memory or CPU, and also on Vista sometimes prevent me from removing hardware until I shut them down in task manager. Just as annoying as the "no true close X" on WM if you ask me. They are almost the same IMO, unnecessary stuff running even when you thought you'd shut them down.
    Maybe that's a difference within Vista. Maybe that's one of the many things that has given Vista a bad rep.
    I don't have that issue on XP. X closes all of the apps on my desktop, X doesn't close any of the apps on WM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123