1.    #1  
    Do we know if Palm's upcoming operating system, Nova or whatever it will be called, will come with a Palm Desktop equivalent - maybe called Nova Desktop?

I know some have complained about Hotsync'ing and probably about Palm Desktop, but whatever problems there have been, I think the theory is sound - and essential.

I don't have Outlook on my personal computers and even if I did, I'd want an application that's MADE for my Treo. I'd want to be able to edit memos, calendar items, contact information, etc without worrying about buying third-party software OR wondering is it would be FULLY compatible. For instance, I don't want to have contact categories on one device that don't/can't exist on the other device.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Unknown. In all likelihood, Palm is going to try and cobble together an in-house iTunes-style app, that has some kind of integrated media browser/manager + Palm software store integration + the usual Palm Desktop classic PIM/Sync capabilities. Possibly some kind of social networking capability built in as well. I agree that if Nova ever appears in a shipping device, Palm will need something more than just Outlook that is specifically tailor-made for their next generation devices & services.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    MobileMe style
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    MobileMe style
    What?
    I'm thinking palm will focus on the cloud. Why hook up to the computer when you can sync wirelessly? Even the iphone (lets just say it, this is the most simple device for people) requires being synced and its a pain. It really is.

How about a device where you don't have to hook it up to the computer ever? It syncs with what you put in the cloud (or basically online storage). Screw itunes..this isn't the best solution.

You need a file? Have it reach through the cloud to your pc at home. Why waste storage on a phone if its even possible to just access it in the cloud?

This is just what i think Palm is focusing on. It's a way to make it their "palm thing"

Then again, i may just be very wrong..lol
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm thinking palm will focus on the cloud. Why hook up to the computer when you can sync wirelessly? Even the iphone (lets just say it, this is the most simple device for people) requires being synced and its a pain. It really is.

How about a device where you don't have to hook it up to the computer ever? It syncs with what you put in the cloud (or basically online storage). Screw itunes..this isn't the best solution.

You need a file? Have it reach through the cloud to your pc at home. Why waste storage on a phone if its even possible to just access it in the cloud?

This is just what i think Palm is focusing on. It's a way to make it their "palm thing"

Then again, i may just be very wrong..lol
    Well, first of all, thanks for correcting my unspoken misunderstanding of "the cloud." I've heard Dieter mention it on the TreoCast, but I guess I didn't get what he really meant.

I've gotta say, though, that I don't want my phone to be dependent on any connection to retrieve the things I would sync with my computer. If I'm ever offline, I want these things to remain accessible.
    Hey i'm not sure what cloud means to various others. To me, it means online..wireless..storage. I'm not sure i like the idea either.

For example, i used google's firefox plugin (before version 3.0) a lot to keep things synced between computers. They simply stopped supporting it in 3.0 and they didn't update it. But i would say all the passwords/bookmarks were stored in a cloud somewhere and now its useless to me because i can't access it.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    The cloud assumes data access, something I refuse to pay VZW's high rates for. For me, my treo (with DateBk6) IS my planner, contacts, etc. It also happens to be a phone as well, allowing me to carry only one device. Hotsyncing to my desktop provides another layer of backup protection and allows me the ability to more easily do some PIM work there rather than on the Treo.
  9.    #9  
    Hey i'm not sure what cloud means to various others. To me, it means online..wireless..storage. I'm not sure i like the idea either.

For example, i used google's firefox plugin (before version 3.0) a lot to keep things synced between computers. They simply stopped supporting it in 3.0 and they didn't update it. But i would say all the passwords/bookmarks were stored in a cloud somewhere and now its useless to me because i can't access it.
    My mouth is hanging open. wow

That never would have occurred to me.
    Cloud also means data access as in available signal. I have no problem with that at home but at the office I have no signal in the basement and to walk upstairs and leave the building to sync something that could've been done at the computer via bluetooth is silly.

Saving my shortcuts to the cloud is fine but passwords?!?!? Until there is guaranteed neutrality and nonpossessiveness by the cloud provider on your cloud data, I'm not going to go there with anything more critical than bookmarks and copies of reference books.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    What?
    Here is Apple MobileMe (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/)

I really like the concept. I think the original idea of Palm was similar to MobileMe. Maybe they do not have enough resources to support it.

For data access, I don't want to rely on the connection. I want the data is available whenever I want it.
    As a user of MobileMe I can say, reliability issues aside, it's a great concept and is very easy to use. Your stuff is never far away. I've been a Mac user almost forever, so my opinions on this are likely to be biased though.

As for Nova, I don't believe we'll ever see it. Time to embrace the horror of Windows Mobile! That's the present and future for Palm. I still hold out hope they'll get on the Android train, but I don't see that happening for years. If Palm even lasts that long.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    As for Nova, I don't believe we'll ever see it.
    Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Why is that?
    One would think that is a valid question. But, this is Palm Inc we're talking about here. The ONLY indication that we have for a Linux based platform code-named "Nova" are the statements of corporate officials.

I'm sorry to say this, but that is absolutely in NO way credible evidence of a shipping product. This is that same company who owned over 70% of the mobile handheld device market only a few short years ago. With all the pomp and circumstance imaginable Palm managed is now on the verge of seeing it's revolutionary "economy" mothballed. With a merger of their own original visionaries they recently held homecourt advantage in the burgeoning smartphone space. They have all but pi$$ed this away. Their hardware design is moving at a glacial pace. They gave away control of their own platform allowing it to be literally killed. They have no Apple-esque OS/hardware synergies any more. They are left with "me-too" (2nd rate) WinMob smartfones and low margin POS smartphones for the moment.

Their recent track record is abysmal at best. The same voices who 1.5 yrs ago said that " PC guys (read Apple) are not going to just walk in to the smart phone space", are already trailing this "upstart" phone maker in market share!

Palm in no way deserves the right of "innocent until proven guilty". Wise money will hold this company's statement as "guilty until proven innocent".

IMHO, statements doubting Palm's visions of grandeur are much more comfortable than those which hold high expectations. I say all this as I stare over at my 2 year old Treo with Pilot 1000 midi alarms, 1K clipboard limit, and 0.3 megapixel camera and realize ... it's the top of the line GSM smartphone in existence with Palm OS. That says something.
    Patrick Horne
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    IMHO, statements doubting Palm's visions of grandeur are much more comfortable than those which hold high expectations. I say all this as I stare over at my 2 year old Treo with Pilot 1000 midi alarms, 1K clipboard limit, and 0.3 megapixel camera and realize ... it's the top of the line GSM smartphone in existence with Palm OS. That says something.
    Did you mean 1.3 megapixels? If not, I'm wondering what Treo you mean.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Actually your passwords and bookmarks should still be available on all of your PCs in the state they were when you upgraded. It's not like they ONLY existed at Google. They're not in sync anymore, of course. And they're probably still floating around in Google somewhere, waiting for you to access them with FF 2.something.
    I've seen this script played out by Palm too often. They release some demo footage of the OS, but it turns out to be only renders and some stills of what the OS is "expected" to do. Then they announce delays. Both have happened. Next will be a shakeup in the software division. Some key people will leave and some new folks will be brought in to "get the project back on track". Then they announce more delays. Finally, the head of the software division will resign, doing the ceremonial "falling on his sword" routine. A week or two later Palm will make some kind of Folio-esque announcement that they have abandoned Nova in favor of <insert OS here>. They'll either stick with Windows Mobile or, if I had my way, go Android.

Please don't take my pessimism as any kind of inside info or as some great insight. I'm just a former Palm fanboi who's been disappointed too often.
    Palm has never displayed demo footage of an OS.

It was PalmSource that demoed Cobalt and later their acquirer Access that showed off ALPo. Funny that both displayed Memos.