Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Is there going to be a PalmOS driven Treo soon. I am with ATT and I have my 680, but I have not seen any viable rumours of the next device.
    I think ATT gets a centro...

No more POS phones for me. I dearly miss it, but I'm converted to WM and I'm not looking back.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drabusharr View Post
    Is there going to be a PalmOS driven Treo soon. I am with ATT and I have my 680, but I have not seen any viable rumours of the next device.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $will$ $be$ $no$ $more$ $PalmOS$ $devices$ $after$ $Centro$. $The$ $prosumer$ $line$ ($Treo$ $Pro$ $etc$) $will$ $be$ $WinMo$. $The$ $consumer$ $devices$ $will$ $be$ $Palm$'$s$ $next$ $gen$ $OS$, $which$ $is$ $based$ $on$ $Unix$.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    If PalmOS is going to die with Centro and rebirthed with a Unix-based OS in a new non-WinMo device, what can a die-hard Palm OS user do to preview this new platform? Are there any betas out there or should I just give up on this platform and go RIM or WinMo?
    Why would you "give up" before seeing what the new Linux-based platform is capable of or compatible it is with the legacy Palm OS applications? Unless, of course, you don't believe it is going to happen.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    It sure would help if Palm would give its loyal users some clues about the new OS and when we might expect to see it on the market. With all the hype about Apple and RIM, Palm has got to be bleeding customers and I suspect many would wait and see the new OS from Palm if they had any idea about capabilities and time table.
    I think the centro will continue to do well and probably have minor hardware updates. The new palm OS will be a new animal though in its infant stages. Don't let that steer your current path. If you want to try WM or RIM, you've got plenty of time if thoughts of Nova is the only thing keeping you from it.

Most say mid 2009 but that could easily be push back...again. By that time, apple is getting more mature, wm7 will probably be seeing light, android will be seen, etc. It will be difficult for palm to all of a sudden contend with these.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    It sure would help if Palm would give its loyal users some clues about the new OS and when we might expect to see it on the market. With all the hype about Apple and RIM, Palm has got to be bleeding customers and I suspect many would wait and see the new OS from Palm if they had any idea about capabilities and time table.
    I totally agree. They don't have to be specific as to give away some kind of unique feature but could give some teasers if any. No news signals they have nothing..
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I totally agree. They don't have to be specific as to give away some kind of unique feature but could give some teasers if any. No news signals they have nothing..
    There's supposed to be some sort of preview (SDK?) late this year or so (not clear if they're going to wait until after the holiday season--which would mean January). Nice fuzzy elastic timeline...

They've dropped a few hints here and there, including Colligan mentioning new form factors. I'm hoping those were far enough out that Rubinstein could rework those rather than cancel them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    No more POS phones for me. I dearly miss it, but I'm converted to WM and I'm not looking back.
    Me too. I cant wait for the Treo Pro. I may go ahead and get the 800w to hold me over until it comes out.

And when you say "No more POS phones for me" is that Palm OS, or piece-of-st phones?
  11. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I am kind of curious about the new OS, should it ever come out. I have a Centro and I love it, but I am wondering what the next step is.

Unless Apple parts ways with AT&T/GSM, I will probably never own an iPhone. And for a die-hard Mac user...that's really hard to do!

But I won't go the way of WinMo because of all the stability issues. Just can't wrap my head around it when I know my POS is stable.
    I believe HTC is building the new Palm hardware, and if that's correct, the devices should be very good. On the operating system side, I expect it will need to meld the virtues of the iPhone and Android, while maintaining the 3rd party developer base, to be successful. Palm is playing catch-up, but with the announcement of a delayed WM7, Palm might find a sweet spot in the smartphone economy if they can come to market early in 2009 rather then later.

I bought a Centro to hold me over for a year since AT&T and T-mobile won't work well for me given where I travel.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    How about Palm licenses Android and puts it on a Treo Pro type device?

aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)