Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am "reliably" told that there are now test units out in the field.... Surely there'll be more "leaks" to come by the end of the year?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Wohoo! I'm going to ride my 755 right on by WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I am "reliably" told that there are now test units out in the field.... Surely there'll be more "leaks" to come by the end of the year?

The question is how do I become a Palm Nova OS beta tester? I'd volunteer in a heartbeat. And it's not like I've got anythign to lose. Nova buggy? crashes? Well, I've got that already in my 650 and 680. So bring on the new one. And it's a chance to help Palm out.

I just did a 5 minute search of the Palm site, didn't find anything even close to a link for beta testers or even contact opportunities to volunteer. Let's collectively try to search and figure this out, yes?
    -- Josh
    i bet you if there was a beta they will not tell us because they will be flooded with applications. about time they have devices in beta.
    I'm sure they would feel confident that no one would slap any shots on TC in 6-8 hours after receiving their devices.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    there is/was a beta link on palms website.

I signed up years back. nothing ever came of it.

I think with phones they are basically tested by employees of the cell phone company's now a days. (but not sure)
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    there is/was a beta link on palms website.

I signed up years back. nothing ever came of it.

I think with phones they are basically tested by employees of the cell phone company's now a days. (but not sure)
    I guess so. With the secrecy involved, that makes sense.
    -- Josh
  8.    #8  
    I think Palm could do with a little more hype... a little leak or two won't hurt
    I think Palm could do with a little more hype... a little leak or two won't hurt
    They're reportedly at least 6 months away from release of Nova OS and new devices. That's too long a horizon to make leaks helpful. Leak something cool, and by the date of release, a competitor will have made sure to add it to their offerings. Leak something less flashy, and get negative press, more Palm-bashing, more jumping ship, more investors scatter, etc. So I don't see how saying anything about Nova now helps them.
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Sorry for the dumb question - but, how is Nova and the 850 different?

Is Nova a new Palm OS platform, replacing WM for thier flagship devices, while the 850 is a smaller form factor touchscreen WM device?
    Exactly! Nova will be a Linux based OS.
    All for One and One for All!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    So I don't see how saying anything about Nova now helps them.
    -- Josh
    It'll prevent a hoard of us from jumping to the iPhone 3G
    Anyway they could do with more hype, Apple-style. Just stating commitment may not be enough

http://www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/palm-os-map.jpg
    It'll prevent a hoard of us from jumping to the iPhone 3G
    Anyway they could do with more hype, Apple-style. Just stating commitment may not be enough

http://www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/palm-os-map.jpg
    Well- while Apple had basically clued people in that the iPhone was coming many months out - six, wasn't it- when it actually came out, it lived up to the hype.

I doubt they want to set users up for a major disappointment - I am still smarting from being a forced beta tester for the 650.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    The problem with Palm leaking future plans is that they tend to not follow through. That just leads to bad press and anger/disgust in the user community... I wish they could get their act together, but I've been feeling that way since we were waiting for the TT3 follow-up product. <sigh>
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    The problem with Palm leaking future plans is that they tend to not follow through. That just leads to bad press and anger/disgust in the user community... I wish they could get their act together, but I've been feeling that way since we were waiting for the TT3 follow-up product. <sigh>

i think the past few leaks have been pretty accurate. I would go as far as saying as Palm is getting a stronghold on leaks and that they leak the leak themselves.
    I like the unknown. Just keep saying its coming though Palm. Sometimes leaks have the opposite affect especially if its underwhelming.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I heard a rumor from someone who seems to pick up rumors that are true, that the Linux OS has been pushed back to 2010. Not a pretty picture if its true.
  18.    #18  
    No it won't be a pretty picture. Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion Palm will stumble in the execution of the Nova platform.
    Ultimately Google will buy over Palm and we'll be seeing Treos running on Android.
    No it won't be a pretty picture. Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion Palm will stumble in the execution of the Nova platform.
    Ultimately Google will buy over Palm and we'll be seeing Treos running on Android.

Android on a Treo Pro would be a "dream"
    If Google bought Palm, we could see our Treo Pro's in 3-4 months (with the power of google, (even in a struggling economy)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast