Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    No it won't be a pretty picture. Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion Palm will stumble in the execution of the Nova platform.
    Ultimately Google will buy over Palm and we'll be seeing Treos running on Android.
    If Google bought Palm, we could see our Treo Pro's in 3-4 months (with the power of google, (even in a struggling economy), is this chat called "dream cast??"
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    If Google bought Palm, we could see our Treo Pro's in 3-4 months (with the power of google, (even in a struggling economy), is this chat called "dream cast??"

well ya, you can do anything if you throw enough money at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I like the unknown. Just keep saying its coming though Palm. Sometimes leaks have the opposite affect especially if its underwhelming.
    The problem, though, is that it's like asking the kid behind the counter at McDonalds where the Egg McMuffin you ordered 10 minutes ago is, and him saying, "It's coming . . ." When Colligan announced that in September of 2007 that Nova would be another 12-18 months, it was the equivalent of being told "it's coming" a third time. You walk across the street to Burger King, or grab an iPhone.

I happen to think that Palm could've bought a few more months with a spruced-up Garnet Treo release -- say, an Ultimate Phone-style UI, a 3.5mm audio jack, a flush screen and 128MB RAM.

If Palm doesn't have anything worth leaking by now (which I don't think is the case), especially having EOL'ed Garnet Treos, then they deserve to fail. Early Android demos were awful, but in the end, Google delivered. Even if Palm doesn't actually demo Nova, they should at least engineer leaks of some of its best features.
  4.    #24  
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Interesting indeed!

Now can anyone teach me how to buy Palm stocks? it's $2.94 now..
    You should be able to buy Palm stock through pretty much any broker. If you don't already have an account, you could open an account with an online discount broker, like eTrade, or Scottrade. I wouldn't open an account just to buy Palm stock, but this is probably generally a good time to buy equities if you are willing to hold onto them for a while (like a couple years). I think the ticker symbol for Palm is PALM.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Hmmmmm very interesting indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    They're reportedly at least 6 months away from release of Nova OS and new devices. That's too long a horizon to make leaks helpful. Leak something cool, and by the date of release, a competitor will have made sure to add it to their offerings. Leak something less flashy, and get negative press, more Palm-bashing, more jumping ship, more investors scatter, etc. So I don't see how saying anything about Nova now helps them.
    -- Josh
    The tricky thing for them will be the construction of the time machine they
    will need in order to travel back to 2005, when the nova OS might
    have helped them.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    "no va" in Spanish means "it doesn't go."
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    "no va" in Spanish means "it doesn't go."
    that reminds me that urban legend about Chevy Novas not selling in Latin America because of their name.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    The question is how do I become a Palm Nova OS beta tester?
    Easy. Wait until Palm deems them ready for sale, buy one, and viola! - you will officially be a beta tester (as usual with Palm)...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I think with phones they are basically tested by employees of the cell phone company's now a days. (but not sure)
    That seems to be the consensus. Also explains why so many obvious and radical errors were completely missed in "beta" and yet caught by so many actual Palm users within a week of release. Example: NVFS fiasco of the Treo 650, and Palm's continual and strong denials and then admission a week or so later.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Palm boneheads have the same clueless clowns testing the devices that have blown it for them myriad times before.

Hint to Palm: if I have an precious and irreplaceable pet squirrel who is sick, I'm pretty stupid to trust someone who works on horses to give me the best answers because he says, "hey, they're all animals." You can bet your bippie that I'll include in that mix some folk that are obsessive about squirrels, who spend their free time drawing and feeding squirrels, who can recite to me the ailments that befall squirrels and incorrect diagnoses made of squirrels, who know the internal organs and proper care of squirrels, etc.

But I'm willing to lay money on the guess that Palm gave the usual suspects their beta models again, asked them how pretty the colors are and if they liked the size of the things, asked if they could hear anything through the speaker, had them load a game and play it a couple minutes, and left it at that.

Microsoft was smart - when they were trying (in vain) to make Pocket PC usable, they used to pluck obsessive Palm user group members and bring them to Redmond to download their brains and listen to them. As much as I still hate WinceMob, it's come a long way from the garbage it once was. On the other hand, Palm seems to have complete neophytes "test" their phones and then get MAD and DENY when their end users point out obvious problems with the phones. I mean - how could Palm EVER have released the Treo 650 without testing to see if it held AT LEAST as much data as the phone it was to have replaced?!? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    That seems to be the consensus. Also explains why so many obvious and radical errors were completely missed in "beta" and yet caught by so many actual Palm users within a week of release. Example: NVFS fiasco of the Treo 650, and Palm's continual and strong denials and then admission a week or so later.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Palm boneheads have the same clueless clowns testing the devices that have blown it for them myriad times before.

Hint to Palm: if I have an precious and irreplaceable pet squirrel who is sick, I'm pretty stupid to trust someone who works on horses to give me the best answers because he says, "hey, they're all animals." You can bet your bippie that I'll include in that mix some folk that are obsessive about squirrels, who spend their free time drawing and feeding squirrels, who can recite to me the ailments that befall squirrels and incorrect diagnoses made of squirrels, who know the internal organs and proper care of squirrels, etc.

But I'm willing to lay money on the guess that Palm gave the usual suspects their beta models again, asked them how pretty the colors are and if they liked the size of the things, asked if they could hear anything through the speaker, had them load a game and play it a couple minutes, and left it at that.

Microsoft was smart - when they were trying (in vain) to make Pocket PC usable, they used to pluck obsessive Palm user group members and bring them to Redmond to download their brains and listen to them. As much as I still hate WinceMob, it's come a long way from the garbage it once was. On the other hand, Palm seems to have complete neophytes "test" their phones and then get MAD and DENY when their end users point out obvious problems with the phones. I mean - how could Palm EVER have released the Treo 650 without testing to see if it held AT LEAST as much data as the phone it was to have replaced?!? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Amen, and I'd say you're dead on about the field testers.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Ha. I see what you did there. ;-)
    :-P

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Android on a Treo Pro would be a "dream"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexilis View Post
    Ha. I see what you did there. ;-)
    :-P
    What if that Treo Pro 850e on Sprint is the new OS? man, i would kill for that phone
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    What if that Treo Pro 850e on Sprint is the new OS? man, i would kill for that phone
    I wouldn't lay money on it. No inside knowledge here, just getting cynical that there's anyone left over there doing anything except shrinking battery capacity and picking out new Centro colors. Palm, feel free to prove me wrong. Please.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12