1.    #1  
    Last night a friend showed me his Iphone 3g, telling me he'd owned treos and the centro previously. He told me he didn't like the treos or the centro and that the Iphone 3g was the better all around phone. Not being an owner of a smartphone yet, I asked why. One pet peeve he had was the claim that the treos and centro cannot be powered down or off. I'm suspicious of this claim. So I ask you here at treocentral discussion if it is true - - as I intend to buy at the very least a centro.
    Treos and Centros never really power off unless you pull the battery. When you turn them 'off' they go into sleep or standby mode. When you turn them back 'on', you are exactly where you left off.

Since they are true PDAs, you can completely turn the phone function, or radio off seperately, but the PDA function is always sort of 'on.'

The PDA function only drains about .5% - 1% of battery life per hour when on standby mode, so I don't see this as being much of an issue.
    I don't think there is a consumer phone/pda/computer/electronics gizmo that has been made in the last 3 to 5 years that can truly be turned off without disconnecting the battery and/or power plug. Does anybody still use a mechanical slide switch anymore?
    the radio, both BT and phone, can be turned off. the PDA function does not really get turned off - more like sleep. The screen turns off but the calendar/alarm and other background functions still are operating. Think of it like you computer that is disconnected from the internet and the screen off.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you for info. That guy was really showing off with the iphone 3g, trashing Palm devices. I'm still going to get a Centro or 750 regardless.
    Thanks again.
    The iPhone has so many failings when compared to a true smartphone. Your friend clearly has no idea. It's a beautiful device, and I would imagine is particularly appealing as "my first slightly smart phone" but there is no way people should even compare the two. The iPhone is more or less an iPod with a poorly functioning phone attached.
    Next time you see him, ask him to do ANY of the following things. All of which you can do on a Treo or Centro.

Here goes in no particular order.
    1) forward a text message
    2) forward a text message as an email (you'd be surprised how useful this)
    3) distribute a calendar event as an email or text message without retyping it (No cut and paste doh)
    4) choose which calendars to sync
    5) add a contact from a text message
    6) view sent items in text messages (unless there is a chat initiated or you've sent 2 messages to the same person you can't do this ie: no sent messages view)
    7) add something to his To Do list and sync it with the phone.
    8) beam (wireless or otherwise) a contact or Cal event to or from another device
    9) send a contact to or from another device (text or email)
    10) Find a contact quickly
    11) keyboard Help? On my palm, if I hold a key down, I get the capital, if I tap that key twice I get the shifted character
    12) edit docs, exel etc
    13) attach files to mail
    14) wireless sync with the computer
    15) Mount the device and use it as storage (ie: be able to carry and share a subset of documents with other computers using the device)
    16) Send an MMS
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    The iPhone has so many failings when compared to a true smartphone. Your friend clearly has no idea. It's a beautiful device, and I would imagine is particularly appealing as "my first slightly smart phone" but there is no way people should even compare the two. The iPhone is more or less an iPod with a poorly functioning phone attached.
    Next time you see him, ask him to do ANY of the following things. All of which you can do on a Treo or Centro.

3) distribute a calendar event as an email or text message without retyping it (No cut and paste doh)
    6) view sent items in text messages (unless there is a chat initiated or you've sent 2 messages to the same person you can't do this ie: no sent messages view)
    8) beam (wireless or otherwise) a contact or Cal event to or from another device
    11) keyboard Help? On my palm, if I hold a key down, I get the capital, if I tap that key twice I get the shifted character
    12) edit docs, exel etc
    13) attach files to mail
    15) Mount the device and use it as storage (ie: be able to carry and share a subset of documents with other computers using the device)
    16) Send an MMS
    Thanks again - - Good stuff! Hopefully I'll have mastered all these things you list before I meet up with him again!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

12) edit docs, exel etc
    13) attach files to mail
    16) Send an MMS

I was also told by two friends that own iPhones, that it can't receive MMS messages without going to a website.
    Not turning the PDA part off is a major feature - if you use it as a PDA you don't WANT it off.
    I I have a meeting, I *WANT* the PDA to remind me about it, even if I turned it "off" on the flight just before and did not remember to turn it back "on".