1.    #1  
    Seems the Pro is Palm trying to hold out until the new devices. Getting really excited about what this new phone next year will be.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...t-treo-pr.html

Since 2006, Palm has declined in U.S. market share each year. And it won't be the Treo Pro that reverses this trend; rather, Palm's next new offering -- about which little is known -- is the company's last hope, said Tero Kuittinen, a telecom analyst at Global Crown Capital.

"At the moment, Palm is just trying to keep the company going before this hopefully revolutionary new device arrives," he said.

Just two years ago, Palm was the leader in the U.S. smartphone market, but since then the company has fallen behind its major competitors HTC and Research In Motion (RIM). And Apple is hot on Palm's heels.

Kuittinen said the Treo Pro's major downfall is its pricing in the United States, where Palm is only offering the smartphone for $549 -- unlocked and without carrier subsidy. He explained that the handset's lack of subsidy will turn off many consumers, especially when taking into account Apple's recently slashed prices of the tremendously popular iPhone 3G.

"The problem here is the pricing structure has changed: The iPhone went down to $200; the Samsung Instinct went down to $230," Kuittinen said. "This is no longer the same phone market we had a year ag
    Yep. I share the same opinions. It will be interesting to see how the treo pro fares in the current conditions given the lack of carrier subsidy.
    The Treo Pro will be a bust in comparison to what it would be if ATT sold it in B&M stores. That being said, they should get a little more profit margin off unlocked versions. That being said, we're not sure that ATT is not going to come online soon. The 750 is long in the tooth. The "problem also is" that Palm's products have been nothing less than underwhelming for the past 4 years regardless of the price points, and others have driven past them for miles. I currently use the best GSM / Palm OS Treo available and it has a VGA camera!!! That's 0.3 (not 3!) megapixels!!! Those kinds of things can have a slight effect on market share.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    The Treo Pro will be a bust in comparison to what it would be if ATT sold it in B&M stores. That being said, they should get a little more profit margin off unlocked versions. That being said, we're not sure that ATT is not going to come online soon. The 750 is long in the tooth. The "problem also is" that Palm's products have been nothing less than underwhelming for the past 4 years regardless of the price points, and others have driven past them for miles. I currently use the best GSM / Palm OS Treo available and it has a VGA camera!!! That's 0.3 (not 3!) megapixels!!! Those kinds of things can have a slight effect on market share.
    " Well-spoke"
    I am a 680 guy....unlocked gsm and have a hankerin' for something new and the fact that Palm is doing the Pro thing has me thinking hard.

Now I don't really have a need to upgrade but want is up there. But I really want to avoid Mr. Gates' evil empire on my phone....if I can. A quandry to say the least. I want NOVA and I want it now. I am not a super early adopter as a rule...but gee wiz factor is killing me.....

Please Palm Please. Before I drink the cool aid

your faithful customer

Skigs
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I am a 680 guy....unlocked gsm and have a hankerin' for something new and the fact that Palm is doing the Pro thing has me thinking hard.

Now I don't really have a need to upgrade but want is up there. But I really want to avoid Mr. Gates' evil empire on my phone....if I can. A quandry to say the least. I want NOVA and I want it now. I am not a super early adopter as a rule...but gee wiz factor is killing me.....

Please Palm Please. Before I drink the cool aid

your faithful customer

Skigs
    Amen!