Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Hey as much as i hate the "looks" crap that seems to have taken over in the phone industry (over comfort & features), I think they got the centro right. I'm ok with the centro being where palm ultimately went with the old palm OS.

Again, the article was concerned with what has palm done in the last year. Considering where they were at a year ago and what they didn't do in prior years (basically nothing and the support for the 700p was a total nightmare) , i'd say the last year has been great for them. For them.

Let's now see the articles from gadget man concerning what apple or MS or BB has done in the last year.

I don't care for BB..the Bold or whatever they got going doesn't do anything for me. Screens are too small. No stylus or touch (don't care if they are coming). If you only email or text, you're good to go.

As for microsoft..is 6.1 much different? PIE still sucks. It's still a rough system to navigate even if palm's treo helps it out as much as possible.

Apple took a winning iphone design and made it look cheap with the 3g iphone. Plastic back prone to scratching. GPS that isn't really gps. 3G that isn't really 3g. Carrier raised cost of plan. Itunes more bloated with syncs that take hours, many apps are worthless, bad battery life. Where's the innovation? Still looks the same as last year but worse quality now. How come it wasn't thinner? Where's the slider kb? Why wasn't the screen improved? Wahhh...wahhh...wahhhh They should replace that Jobs guy..

HTC still is making useless touch wm phones that noone can input info on.

The instinct was marketed as a multimedia feature phone that has one of the worst browsers ever made.

I could argue that in the last year, palm probably has improved the most. Considering where they were at, it didn't take much and IMO it was surprising It's easy to pick on devices and gripe all day about something.
    The "looks crap" comment is just a sour grapes attitude toward what is inescapable in today`s smartphone design biz. You can cry all day long about it, that`s just the way it is. Learn how to deal. By the way, don`t look now, but if a company is actually competent enough, they can make a device functional, comfortable, AAANND (stop the press!!) good looking all at once!! The treo concept! Woah, big revelation there.

Its funny that you think the BB Bold`s screen because is "too small". LOL. The bold has a HUGE, gorgeous 480 x 320 screen compared to the centro miniaturized square blip of 320 x 320. If you`re going to cry about small screens I`d say palm where you should direct your criticism, not BB.

I`d think most folks can see why the engadget man didnt write an article on what rimm or apple have done in the past year. Its because they`ve absolutely dominated the market during that time. Apple and rimm have raised the bar to produce the phones to beat today. The competition is trying to come up with iphone killers, not centro or treo killers. That should tell you something.

Incidentally, the centro was palm`s answer to the blackberry pearl, not vice versa. Palm`s big idea there was actually an idea borrowed from blackberry`s strategy. Rimm has dominated the corporate space for years now and are succeeding without interventions by the likes of Rubenstein or others. They dont need desperate help. Palm obviously DOES, hence the article AND the 25% investment stake by elevation. LOL.

Waah... waaah... waahh about the 3g iphone. Its easy to pick and gripe on devices which are outperforming palm`s all day long. You could make the same complaints about gps not being true gps on the 800w just the same. In fact, there is a thread on it. Centro and treo screens scratch just like the iphones would as well, thats why some companies make a business out of selling screen protectors for palm devices. Battery life sucks on the 800w, centro and just about any treos running evdo on the standard palm battery. It is limited by battery technology currently, so unless some battery company makes tremendous innovations, all devices will be plagued by similar charging issues.

Replace the Jobs guy? Yeah, sure if he ran the company close to complete and utter failure as colligan has done, but as you know, he hasn`t. Millions of iphones are selling worldwide BY THE MONTH and are undisputed hits with the public. Aapl stock is worth $176, Rimm`s is $130 or so. Those ceo`s are getting the job done. Palm`s stock is... giggle.... $8.50? Nuff said.
    Last edited by logmein; 08/24/2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    I love my Centro and feel it is far from a POS. I'm not a newbie either-I've used Palms ever since the Palm IIIx. Sure iPhones, WM devices and the like look pretty...but what good are looks if it doesn't do the things you need it to do very well?
    My wife loves hers too, despite all the crashes and resets going on each day. Looks and function are accomplished by rimm. The bold is exhibit A. Apple`s iphone has some issues to work out and, in time, Im sure they`ll accomplish those tasks MUCH more expeditiously than palm has been known to. What did it take palm, a year or more to update the 700 lag issues and STILL there were problems? One might make same complaints about the well known 600, 650, 700p and 755p`s lag and crashes, or the lack of true gps on the 800w or its reduced screen brightness and poor speaker quality. What good are looks if it doesnt do the things you need it to very well, or crash and reset on you at the most critical times? The same may be said about palm.
    Last edited by logmein; 08/24/2008 at 10:26 PM.
    Looks and function aren't accomplished by rimm. The Bold? It looks like every other kb phone at first glance. Pretty small screen. No touchscreen? That's sad. Where's the slider? Could've made it thinner too..looks like a brick like every other BB phone before it. The Treo Pro is pretty competitive and actually "looks" much better and runs a real OS. Pretty good for a company with (how much did you say the stock was? 8.50?) LOL Hope you bought some a while back.

Apple's iphone has SOME issues? What happened to the slider kb (remember..you want this) ? No innovation? Why did they cheapen the iphone by putting plastic on it? No real 3g or gps? What's up with that? This phone isn't even in the same ball park as the Treo Pro or Bold for business use.

Just face it, you'll gripe about anything palm because you're determined to do so. I think the Centro has crashed like once in the last year i've had them and you mention "crashes and resets going on each day" LOL Sure..

Here's what to do if i were you. Ebay the palm. Go buy a brick from BB and then flame their forums crying about bricks, daily crashes (lol), sliders (lol), or whatever..
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/25/2008 at 07:34 AM.
    By the way, don`t look now, but if a company is actually competent enough, they can make a device functional, comfortable, AAANND (stop the press!!) good looking all at once!! The treo concept! Woah, big revelation there.>>>>

Here's the funny part. YOU bought one. Judging by your posts, you still use a 755p or so. Your wife uses the Centro.

Where's the smiles? If BB or apple are just sooo much better, then why haven't you left the party at palm? If i felt like you, they'd be on ebay tomorrow. You could then go gush at the Bold brick or buy a buggy iphone. Then you'd know what daily resets and crashes are about Oh i know, you're waiting for thinner, more innovation, and definitely a slider..
    Anyways, this all had to do with improvement in a year since this same time last year. I disputed gadget man's assessment of that. If you can't acknowledge that palm hasn't improved since then, then i think we're done here.

Most of the trauma you refer to had its roots before last year and i think it was universally agreed that palm was in the toilet. Any moron could've written an open letter to palm at that time. Palm deserves a bit a credit for pulling out of that though and actually getting it together somewhat.

Nowhere did i say that palm was back on track or doing well. Heck, most of us had them going out of business, me included a year ago. They've done well in the last year, surprisingly well, to be in a position to perhaps compete with the big boys...was the point i was trying to make. But no, they're not there yet, not even close yet. Palm has turned its old OS into a beginner line quite successfully and breathed some life into its business end which is still up in the air. Have to see sales on that later. But still, the biggest question mark remains in Nova as it has since palm first announced they were going to work on new OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    My wife loves hers too, despite all the crashes and resets going on each day. Looks and function are accomplished by rimm. The bold is exhibit A. Apple`s iphone has some issues to work out and, in time, Im sure they`ll accomplish those tasks MUCH more expeditiously than palm has been known to. What did it take palm, a year or more to update the 700 lag issues and STILL there were problems? One might make same complaints about the well known 600, 650, 700p and 755p`s lag and crashes, or the lack of true gps on the 800w or its reduced screen brightness and poor speaker quality. What good are looks if it doesnt do the things you need it to very well, or crash and reset on you at the most critical times? The same may be said about palm.
    Excuse me, but my Centro has reset maybe twice since I've had it. (Been almost a year) Both were the result of a conflict with a third party app, which was removed. It's never locked up, crashed, or forced a hard reset. Have you ever actually used a Palm? The Palm OS is probably the MOST stable of any mobile OS. You have a rotten attitude and a superority complex as well. Please get over yourself.
    The OP posted what Palm is trying to do to get back its lost business. It is not about how bad Palm devices or technology stack up against the iPhone or BB's or any other WM devices, you all know about that already, no sense repeating it over and over. Will Palm survive with the times, I don't know but opinions may differ.

For anyone wanting to compare which one platform is better than the other please put your post on the Cross Platform forum.
    Looks and function aren't accomplished by rimm. The Bold? It looks like every other kb phone at first glance. Pretty small screen. No touchscreen? That's sad. Where's the slider? Could've made it thinner too..looks like a brick like every other BB phone before it. The Treo Pro is pretty competitive and actually "looks" much better and runs a real OS. Pretty good for a company with (how much did you say the stock was? 8.50?) LOL Hope you bought some a while back.

Apple's iphone has SOME issues? What happened to the slider kb (remember..you want this) ? No innovation? Why did they cheapen the iphone by putting plastic on it? No real 3g or gps? What's up with that? This phone isn't even in the same ball park as the Treo Pro or Bold for business use.

Just face it, you'll gripe about anything palm because you're determined to do so. I think the Centro has crashed like once in the last year i've had them and you mention "crashes and resets going on each day" LOL Sure..

Here's what to do if i were you. Ebay the palm. Go buy a brick from BB and then flame their forums crying about bricks, daily crashes (lol), sliders (lol), or whatever..
    Face it. You're a palm fanboy who can't stand hearing any criticism of the company. You gripe about anyone who points out valid weaknesses and faults in palm's devices. It seems to eat you up.

I didn't buy palm stock. But I DID buy a healthy portion of apple stock at $40 / share, and rimm at $65 / share a ways back. Currently, apple is $172 and rimm is $130 or so. Not too shabby Oh look, a smilie for ya.

Bold? Awesome 480 x 320 res screen. Nice and big. Screaming fast processor with fantastic interapp switching. World's best email client.

Centro? "Pretty small screen". If YOU want to talk about "pretty small screens", the centro has a REALLY "pretty small screen" LOL.

Want sad? look at the 800w screen. nuff said.
    Last edited by logmein; 08/26/2008 at 01:16 AM.
    By the way, don`t look now, but if a company is actually competent enough, they can make a device functional, comfortable, AAANND (stop the press!!) good looking all at once!! The treo concept! Woah, big revelation there.>>>>

Here's the funny part. YOU bought one. Judging by your posts, you still use a 755p or so. Your wife uses the Centro.

Where's the smiles? If BB or apple are just sooo much better, then why haven't you left the party at palm? If i felt like you, they'd be on ebay tomorrow. You could then go gush at the Bold brick or buy a buggy iphone. Then you'd know what daily resets and crashes are about Oh i know, you're waiting for thinner, more innovation, and definitely a slider..

Yes, I DID buy one, but the funny thing is I WILL be moving to a blackberry once I am eligible for the upgrade later this year. There ya go. See the smilies?!

The bold is very similar in thickness to the treo pro. In fact the treo pro was aimed to compete directly with the bold. So if the bold is a brick by your standards, well, that makes the treo pro, by definition, A BRICK! lol. makes me laugh.

Look, I have complimented the treo pro as palm's first technologically competitive device in years. You seem to have missed that. I've said it has just about everything under the hood. My criticism concentrated around palm's product execution regarding lack of associated carrier contracts and therefore no carrier marketing for it. As we all know, a $600 unlocked device may struggle in this economy against cheaper, equally capable alternatives.

But I know, you just can't help the fanboy defensiveness tendencies.
    Nothing negative can ever be said about palm going forward now, right? Despite the regression back to itty bitty keyboards and the "pretty small" screens. You don't need looks, larger screens or comfortable, spacious keyboards on your smartphones, do you? You definitely wouldn't want a 480 x 320 res screen on a treo either, would ya? nah.
    Last edited by logmein; 08/26/2008 at 01:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    The OP posted what Palm is trying to do to get back its lost business. It is not about how bad Palm devices or technology stack up against the iPhone or BB's or any other WM devices, you all know about that already, no sense repeating it over and over. Will Palm survive with the times, I don't know but opinions may differ.

For anyone wanting to compare which one platform is better than the other please put your post on the Cross Platform forum.

I took the article as a grade of how palm has done since the last article a year ago. I felt it made some very good points. The other poster disagreed and hence the thread's detour into pitting aapl and rimm vs palm and business strategy.

I will say at this point that palm HAS achieved some badly needed changes in their product lines while additional improvement still needs to be made in certain areas.

As we all know there are always strong opinions on both sides of this topic and usually lead into exchanges that reflect convictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    Excuse me, but my Centro has reset maybe twice since I've had it. (Been almost a year) Both were the result of a conflict with a third party app, which was removed. It's never locked up, crashed, or forced a hard reset. Have you ever actually used a Palm? The Palm OS is probably the MOST stable of any mobile OS. You have a rotten attitude and a superority complex as well. Please get over yourself.

Get over YOURSELF. You're the one delving into personal attacks here, not me!! Therefore it is YOU who is sporting the rotten, nasty attitude.. I'm sensing control freak here. We are talking about palm devices which have been known to crash from time to time.

Have I ever even used a palm device? Please, I've owned palm devices since the treo 300. My wife's centro was stable for the first 2-3 weeks and now it is suddenly crashing on her around 4x per day. There are no third party apps loaded on the phone. This DOES happen you know, why are you taking this so personally?

The phrase "your mileage may vary" is very appropo with palm's phones. We all know this, so you can stop the personal attacks and attempts at psychobabble blather. It's not helping your case.
    enough of this. thread closed
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12