Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You "upgraded" to the Centro from using palm treos in the past?

I mean you spent hundreds of dollars on the Treo ( i know i did on the 700p although i got sub prices for the ones before). The accessories, the 3rd party apps and such.

Only to find out that the Centro, the one you ultimately upgraded to, is being marketed as a beginner smartphone for teenagers and women? Other tech sites keep referring to it as a nice phone to get if you're new to smartphones.

So after all the years using treos, they turned you into someone who screams " cheap noob" to other smartphone users. I wonder if this in itself compelled some people to leave palm OS.
    Many of us long-time Palm users, many of whom have had Treos, like the Centro. I knew, months before buying mine, that it was being marketed as a low-end smartphone. I also knew a lot of Treo users consider it an upgrade from their Treos, and I don't really care what the "other tech sites" say about it. It works fine for me.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    It didn't bother me at all. I upgraded my 3 year old 650 to the Centro. I did get my monies worth out of the 650. All the shareware apps I used were upgraded by the developers. The free ones that are abandoned were traded in for working apps. The Centro is better than the 650. More internal memory, 68.8 megs verses 23 megs. Centro reads bigger than 2 gig cards. The Centro has EVDO. The Centro is quicker than the 650. Speed is 940 % verses 912 %. Slimmer form factor. Centro is better all around. You can't judge the package by the marketing. It falls into Palms view of upcoming devices. No regrets at all with getting the Centro. It has been rock solid.

I paid full boat price for the 650 in '04. I got the Centro for 99 bucks in Oct '07. A good deal for a better device.

I added a second line in May '06 and got the 700p. Still using it. It is also better than the 650 in many ways. I got the 700p for less than 300 bucks.

I am still deciding on what to replace the 700p with. Go WinMo and 800w. or port my 700p number to ATT and go 850 Pro.

Or wait till 2nd or 3rd quarter '09 and get a new Palm OS device.

I think most people that start a thread like this one, have no idea what the Centro is capable of doing.

4.    #4  
    It wasn't started to bash the Centro. I think its a great device..worthy of an upgrade from the 700 series.

If anything, i'm bashing palm for turning it into a "beginners smartphone" which only served to make the perception of the palm OS as inferior to the others.
    I took it as a bash at first, but then I saw another post by you that sounded like you like the Centro, so I edited my reply.

Palm is making the same kind of mistake as Tapwave, which marketed one of the best Palm OS PDAs ever made (the Zodiac 1 & 2) mainly as a game console and oh, by the way, it's a PDA too. (With 2 SD slots, up to 128MB of RAM, metal case, Bluetooth, HiRes+ screen, ATI graphics chip, Yamaha stereo sound...) Sure, the Centro is relatively cheap and small and all that, making it a great beginner's smartphone, but it's also a good choice for us Palm OS "veterans" who don't necessarily want to learn another mobile operating system yet but wouldn't mind a smartphone that won't break the bank and won't be too big a pain in the **** to migrate our data and apps to.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    It didn't really bother me either that Palm labeled it as a beginner smartphone. I had read the reviews and saw the photos and knew that I wanted one. I'm glad that I got one because I really do like it. It's thin and light and looks great and does all kinds of stuff.

I still have my Treo 680 but haven't really used it since the day that I bought my Centro. I'll probably hang onto the 680 for review purposes.
    Last edited by Jennifer Chappell; 08/22/2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: extra word
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It wasn't started to bash the Centro. I think its a great device..worthy of an upgrade from the 700 series.

If anything, i'm bashing palm for turning it into a "beginners smartphone" which only served to make the perception of the palm OS as inferior to the others.
    I think they did that to make more sales. If they marketed it like the Treo, they may have had lackluster sales. I do agree that the Centro is a good alternative to the Treo if you wish to remain on the Palm OS. I looked at one and it's just as much of a smartphone as the Treo!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise View Post
    Many of us long-time Palm users, many of whom have had Treos, like the Centro. I knew, months before buying mine, that it was being marketed as a low-end smartphone. I also knew a lot of Treo users consider it an upgrade from their Treos, and I don't really care what the "other tech sites" say about it. It works fine for me.
    I do not have a Centro, however I'm glad I am not the only one who simply doesn't care what others think about my choice in smartphones. The purpose for the device is not to impress others.

L8R
    Though I've nothing bad to say about the Centro, I do feel let-down in the same way the OPer has mentioned. One spends tons of money for a premium device (and accessories) and out comes a cheap variant, that's much more than the older device.

The low cost has to do more with competition from Apple etc. Left to themselves, Palm could have easily priced this more. (The black/ dark-grey Centro, does look more professional than the other colours).
    My Centro rocks. I couldn't care less about what Palm's marketing plan is.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  11.    #11  
    My wife uses the centro mostly these days. It's still a great device. Here i am trying to find a bday present for her and i honestly can't come up with any phone that is much better (on sprint) for her. The Instinct is a flop imo and the 800w doesn't offer much more and has a learning curve. Time to look at other things. Now this either implies sprint doesn't have much or the Centro continues to be the little palm OS phone that the others can't touch.
    There is 1 Treo 700P, 2 Centros and 1 800W in my family and my favorite - the black Centro; however, I want multi-tasking and the 800W does well with it.
    I switched back to POS with the centro - hadn't used palm since I had a palm and an Apple Newton But, I know the marketing, but my response is, yeah, and it's the size/weight of a regular cell phone. I got tired of the brick...
    After what I went through with the treo 650s and 680s I got a very bad taste in my mouth regarding Treos. I waited a long time and read through the forums to get the general consensus of people already ventured into the Centro world. Then I had to have one!

I thin its o.k. to market to beginner smartphone users because it IS a great device and if many folks had the same issues I did, they certainly wouldn't get another one! The Centro is a solid device that can be a business workhorse, a gadabout town, and a cool entertainment device- all in one affordable package!

What else would they do remarket to those of us burned by the run of poor quality treos?:
    "Oh hey, Please try us again- we have a better device now than the one you had before?"

Nope- I think marketing to new folks shows that they were confident new people would be pleased and this would bring back others.

I finally have my reliable palm pda and a solid phone and my entertainment all in one unit that looks great, is easy to use and doesn't weigh a ton!

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    HELLO,

I am a newbie here. A IT student.

Well upgrading to the Centro from using palm treos was a great experience.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    The only thing that I find odd about the "beginner" concept, is where is the "advanced" version? I've owned the 600, 650, 700 & now the Centro. The Centro is the best of them (more stable & faster), & has at least equal (maybe better) functionality. Sooo...if this is basic...where's Palm's high end?
    I don't care how they market the centro, all I know is that I'm very happy with it. I owned the Treo 650, 700p, and the Centro has made me forget about the 2.

It's all trickle down technology...

My old PC in the closet has got nothing on the new high end stuff today, but give it to someone who's just been using a calculator and it'll still impress.

All high end tech becomes main stream at one point. It's a good thing.

The Centro also "fixed" a lot of problems with the older Treos. Great phone, absolutely love mine.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/02/2008 at 08:19 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    It didn't bother me at all. I upgraded my 3 year old 650 to the Centro. I did get my monies worth out of the 650. All the shareware apps I used were upgraded by the developers. The free ones that are abandoned were traded in for working apps. The Centro is better than the 650. More internal memory, 68.8 megs verses 23 megs. Centro reads bigger than 2 gig cards. The Centro has EVDO. The Centro is quicker than the 650. Speed is 940 % verses 912 %. Slimmer form factor. Centro is better all around. You can't judge the package by the marketing. It falls into Palms view of upcoming devices. No regrets at all with getting the Centro. It has been rock solid.

I paid full boat price for the 650 in '04. I got the Centro for 99 bucks in Oct '07. A good deal for a better device.

I added a second line in May '06 and got the 700p. Still using it. It is also better than the 650 in many ways. I got the 700p for less than 300 bucks.

I am still deciding on what to replace the 700p with. Go WinMo and 800w. or port my 700p number to ATT and go 850 Pro.

Or wait till 2nd or 3rd quarter '09 and get a new Palm OS device.

I think most people that start a thread like this one, have no idea what the Centro is capable of doing.

I'm surprised that the smaller capacity battery wasn't an exception to your "all around" comparison, but if it fits your needs, that's all that counts. I sure don't buy my phones for anyone but me.

But yeah, even my 755p's stock battery isn't enough for me. It's just the minimum I'll accept. I drain the heck out of that thing.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I walked in to the black Centro with a bit of experience with my wife's red one, so I ordered the device and the battery at the same time from Sprint. With the extended battery I had no problems with it making the day. With the 800W I have battery life is now at about 6 hours - no complaints, as again, I new what I was getting in to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast