Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I just read the specs on the TreoPro. Very very very nice. Lots of cool bells & whistles.

I want those features (and the form factor is nice too) in an UPDATED Palm OS smartphone. Hey Palm: WTF?????

How about a little focus on your core PALM products?

~(becoming a little less) aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
    I just read the specs on the TreoPro. Very very very nice. Lots of cool bells & whistles.

I want those features (and the form factor is nice too) in an UPDATED Palm OS smartphone. Hey Palm: WTF?????

No Wifi is possible on the existing PalmOS. We'll see if Palm manages to release the new PalmOS before it goes out of business. I guess that there's no reason that they couldn't have a high-megapixel camera under PalmOS, but who would pay big bucks for it when they can have a Centro?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Obviously, the OS needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, incorporating the features we love and adding the ones that are becoming commonplace.

Frankly, I could give a cr@p about the camera. Not that I don't use mine ever, but it is not even on the list of features that compelled me to buy the Treo 600, Treo 700p or the Treo 680. In fact, I went out of my way to get the 600 without camera. I need a business tool and the camera has the potential to be a hinderance (some facilities don't like camera phones).

I did not know that Palm OS will not support WiFi--even more reason for it to be updated considerably.

I know most of you share my frustration. I guess we all have to wait for the planned 2009 updated OS and whatever device gets packaged with that or get an iPhone.

~avid
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    With the Palm OS you can't have WiFi or 3G. Garnett is dead and Windows Mobile it the future. I personally don't believe Palm can make Palm OS 2. It's vapor-ware. There was a story yesterday on Engadget Mobile about Palm's slippage in producing Nova or whatever it's going to be called. That's the first step in a scripted saga that ends with a reorganization of the software division and the admission that Nova is their Copeland. Time for Palm to embrace the Android solution!
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    That's the first step in a scripted saga that ends with a reorganization of the software division and the admission that Nova is their Copeland. Time for Palm to embrace the Android solution!
    Or maybe Nova is their Cobalt.. again.

Actually though, I would not be in favor of Android, because its largely unimpressive. They have the backbone for a good touchscreen-only device, but Palm's smartphones are all about the keyboard, and for good reason. Considering Android has a Linux base and Nova has a Linux base, the amount of work dedicated to implementing good keyboard support, getting a push email client in there, improving the subpar PIM features, seems like it'd be akin to just making their own OS in the first place.

Not to mention that not all of Android is required to be open-source, from what I understand, and Palm's already made the mistake of not owning the OS they're using in the past with the whole PalmSource/ Access debacle.
    As far as I'm concerned, "early 2009" and "first half of 2009" are pretty much the same thing.
    then again, what would you do with wifi? The web browser on the centro wouldn't be any faster. Sprint's network is fast enough.

Most of the stuff on the treo pro can be done already with the centro. In a lot of cases..done better. You'd have to have specific purposes (which isn't many people) to actually need what WM offers.

Just admit it, you're bored with palm. It's not that you need or want wifi or gps, you simply are bored. You've installed all you can, hacked it to death, and you're ready to move on....that wifi is calling you "upgrade to me...upgrade to me..i'm wifi and i'll make all your problems go away..things will run super quick and Blazer will be super duper quick" LOL If you are in a wifi spot, may as well pull out the netbook or lappie..

If they smacked a full living breathing gps with turn by turn on centro or iphone i still would NOT use it. It's much better to have a standalone gps which i've had for years. In the end, you still want your phone to be a phone and not tied up.

I'm sure those mad multitaskers who want to play a game while reading email will join in, but in the end it comes down to what you use or would use. Too many look at other features and simply have to have them..no matter what.

My nephew wanted a psp when they came out. I told him..bad idea. You wouldn't use it when you got xbox, ps3, etc at home and that the only place really would be short trips in car as a passenger. What's the point? Sure enough, he got it, played around with it for a day (games only) and he hardly used it. Claiming a lack of good games, he sold it on ebay. But it sure looked pretty...
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/22/2008 at 06:52 AM.
    Because PalmSource failed to deliver much of anything beyond basic OS5 since 2002 and Access isn't in the business of improving much on Garnet. Hopefully Palm's efforts (without the hindrance of all the legal go-arounds with their former spin-off) on Nova will deliver.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Just admit it, you're bored with palm. It's not that you need or want wifi or gps, you simply are bored. You've installed all you can, hacked it to death, and you're ready to move on....that wifi is calling you "upgrade to me...upgrade to me..
    OK, I'll admit that my year-old 680 (which replaced a year old 700p) doesn't excite much anymore. It works well, with the exception of some freezes, etc. It's not 3G, so its not too fast on the data side. I have dropped it a few times (oops) but it keeps going.

WiFi would be useful. Eventually, the technology will allow calls over WiFi (Sprint or T-Mobile is already doing this). The OS needs upgrades, while being faithful to the rock-solid core PIM apps. I'd like to see the ability to sync with MobileMe wirelessly like the iPhone (I realize that this one is more complicated) (yes, I am a devoted mac user--20 years now).

The fact is that I rarely make it two full years with a phone (or with a Palm device for that matter). So, when I need to upgrade, where do I go?

I would switch to the iPhone in a heartbeat, but for two killer things (for me):

(1) DateBk 6 (come on, Steuart, can't you write it for iPhone?) (I rely heavily on the advance warning count-down feature in particular)

(2) Physical keyboard (I have tried the on-screen iPhone keyboard and I can't get the speed or accuracy that I do with my Treo)

System-wide cut/copy/paste for the iPhone will come (that is a BIG missing feature there--what's up with that?).

As far as whether Palm can write an OS, let's not forget that they actually wrote the OS in the first place. That they foolishly sold off that technology should not greatly hinder them in coming up with the next generation OS (I hope).

So, there you have my $.03.

~aviduser
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    WiFi and GPS are HUGE!! I use WiFi constantly to download content and mail, and surf the net. It's really cool to use it overseas too as you incur 0 data charges. And GPS has bailed me out of jams on more than one occasion. Pulling up a sat map at Penn State got us across campus and to the correct building in time, and it's also rescued me when my buddy, who was driving, woke me up from a sound sleep to announce "we're lost". Pull over, fire up GPS, and we're off again. 5 minutes total and we're no longer lost.

You can't minimize the importance of these 2 features. Saying "good enough" is what got Palm into this predicament in the first place. They saw no need to keep innovating and spend years resting on their laurels. And like the hare in the fable, as they napped, tortoises like RIM, Apple, and more passed them by. Think about it: while Palm napped, Apple went from The Newton to the iPhone! That whole time, what did Palm do? Chop off the antenna from the Treo 650? Apply about a bazillion patches to Garnett? Windows Mobile? That's not innovating. Now they're simply playing catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post

Ditto.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    then again, what would you do with wifi? The web browser on the centro wouldn't be any faster. Sprint's network is fast enough.

Most of the stuff on the treo pro can be done already with the centro. In a lot of cases..done better. You'd have to have specific purposes (which isn't many people) to actually need what WM offers.

Just admit it, you're bored with palm. It's not that you need or want wifi or gps, you simply are bored. You've installed all you can, hacked it to death, and you're ready to move on....that wifi is calling you "upgrade to me...upgrade to me..i'm wifi and i'll make all your problems go away..things will run super quick and Blazer will be super duper quick" LOL If you are in a wifi spot, may as well pull out the netbook or lappie..

If they smacked a full living breathing gps with turn by turn on centro or iphone i still would NOT use it. It's much better to have a standalone gps which i've had for years. In the end, you still want your phone to be a phone and not tied up.

I'm sure those mad multitaskers who want to play a game while reading email will join in, but in the end it comes down to what you use or would use. Too many look at other features and simply have to have them..no matter what.

My nephew wanted a psp when they came out. I told him..bad idea. You wouldn't use it when you got xbox, ps3, etc at home and that the only place really would be short trips in car as a passenger. What's the point? Sure enough, he got it, played around with it for a day (games only) and he hardly used it. Claiming a lack of good games, he sold it on ebay. But it sure looked pretty...
    I like your thinking. I could use GPS, could care less about multi-taksing. If I could have a Palm OS that didn't crash, didn't have lags, with a sexier form factor (but not tiny like the Centro) I'd be really happy.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    palm OS has compatibility problem, it's advantage in GTD, not fancy entertainment functions.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    i want the form factor with my current OS. These new thin form factors are what we should of have from the 700 series. I can't get excited for 3 year old tech in a 2009 model anymore.
    I admit it, I'm bored. Ive had Palms since the m130 first came out. Went from the m130 to a Tungsten E to a Zire 72 to a Tungsten E2, to a 650 to a 700p to a Centro to a 755p, and my eye is beginning to wander. NOT because I'm not satisfied with my Treo, it does everything I want it to(although A2DP that I don't have to pay extra for would be friggin' nice), it's more like the 7 year itch or something. Come to think of it, it's been about exactly 7 years since I got the m130. It's like, you love your mate & they meet your needs, but... oh hey, look at that Mogul... my my it looks pretty! I've done everything I can do with my Treo, short of putting full blown Linux on it & I'm just BORED now. I'm probably gonna buy a discounted Mogul off ebay to play with for a while.

I wish that Palm would come out with a Treo with the sliding form factor like the Mogul. THAT would make my day
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Oh Perry, please come back! Who champions the hopes/dreams for the Treo 900 without you? I am tagging on your hopes for it although I do not post much (follow TC though). Please campaign for both CDMA & GSM versions. You use the former, I believe. You might want to join us on the GSM camp sometime (:
    I admit it also, I'm bored. I switched to a BlackBerry Curve because I wanted something new to play with. I didn't want to use an upgrade on a brand new 755p, coming from a 700p. There wasn't much of an upgrade, just a little thinner. I wanted a lot thinner, sexier, maybe even a new OS, new features, something.

So, I'm with a Curve, until something new comes out. I miss Palm OS, and I would buy one within a week if a new one launches on Sprint. Until then, it's the Curve...until Apple has an iPhone on the Sprint network.
    Im an angry Palm OS Fan. Upset about this windows crap. But this message above is true. The Palm Treo phones can do everything, and we conquered everything with it. But we are mad because we see other phones with this wifi gps. Us palm OS users are jealous. Palm treo were always ahead of its time, and we are used to it. I loved showing off my phone to corny blackberry users. Now we are getting our asses kicked
    I've had Palms since the IIIx and I still love them. Jealous? I have unlimited EVDO, a mobile broadband USB modem and two laptops with built in WiFi. I don't need WiFi on my phone. GPS isn't important to me either but then again I am unable to drive due to poor vision. My point is that not all Palm users are angry, nor do they all want/need WiFi.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I think one of the reasons why some users are angry at Palm is that Palm and its OS was the top dog a few years back and now its the underdog. The Palm OS seems so stagnant that its just waiting to die.

They (Palm the company) also refuse to acknowledge the hardcore fanbase as one of their main customers source. Which I find ironic as if you're a hardcore Palm fan, you would (almost) buy ANYTHING that they dish out (yes, including the Foleo). Not because its the best device or the coolest device, but because you're a Palm fan and you believe in their Zen. And let me clear when I say "Palm fan", that Palm here is the brand and not the company.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast