1.    #1  
    The New York Times
    Printer Friendly Format Sponsored By

August 20, 2008
    Palm, Once a Leader, Seeks Path in Smartphone Jungle
    By LAURA M. HOLSON

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — If anyone knows how best to survive a corporate near-death experience, it is Jon Rubinstein.

In 1997 the former Hewlett-Packard engineer was asked by Apple’s founder, Steven P. Jobs, to lead the hardware engineering division at the company, which was then struggling. Apple was wallowing in financial losses and the Mac’s appeal was waning. Mr. Rubinstein agreed, and over the next nine years he and his team of engineers breathed new life into the company by helping develop the iMac and the iPod.

Those experiences should serve him well as he seeks to resuscitate Palm, whose roots in Silicon Valley go back to the PalmPilot, the revolutionary handheld computer, and the Treo, which turned heads as one of the first smartphones.

<For complete article, see patchs post below for link. - ron>
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 08/20/2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Edited out for copyrights
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/te...gy/20palm.html

Good piece, and we know the Pro is officially coming out later today.
    Makes me anxious for the new Palm OS 2 phone.
    Maybe there is hope for the future?
    It was interesting when they described how Jon Rubinstein simply asked to make the fixes so the phone (Centro) wouldn't lock up as often, and the plastics stop squeaking.

Really trivial stuff. Shows how much rot and complacency there was at Palm, and their situation is hardly surprising in that light. I'm glad he's on board and I'm optimistic.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Thank God he wants to make a great Palm product, not an iPhone clone. That should shut up some of the posters on this board.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    To be honest, apple copied palm in a lot of ways before you start harping once again on palm doing an "iphone clone." Palm had the touch screen. Palm had the highest resolution screen. Palm had the simple icon based userface. Palm had the web browser. Palm had the virtual keyboard although was crap because a stylus was needed.

Apple took it a step further and eliminated the need for a stylus while putting in a nice browser.

So when talk of palm needing to do similar is brought up..it's simply talk of palm going (or evolving) where they should have. It really has nothing to do with apple or the iphone. The iphone is very limited but it has shown a few possibilities of what a real smartphone (which the iphone still isn't IMO but barely manages to do enough) could have. Now we're just waiting for palm to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Thank God he wants to make a great Palm product, not an iPhone clone.
    Agreed, way too many companies are trying to make their products into iPhones. This gives me a little more hope for Nova though, so I hope they don't disappoint
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

More, More delays? What happened to the great company that bought us the Palm V. Palm's OS Two delayed yet again. What's the deal Palm, bring out the 755p or the centro on the new platform design!!!!
    <merged>

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Actually ilovedessert posted this way before patchs.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    <merged>

Actually ilovedessert posted this way before patchs.
    Thank you, take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I doubt the iPhone would be having all these problems if Rubinstein was still around.

And as for Apple copying Palm, I think you're forgetting the Newton. That's what started the entire PDA craze. The Newton, in all it's 1.4 lb. glory!
    Attached Images Attached Images