Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope so!

Treo_mock2.gif
    Last edited by johncc; 08/24/2008 at 10:40 PM.
    nova won't even resemble the windows treos IMO.

Think iphone...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Think iphone...
    I hope you're wrong on this one. There's a million other options for OSes that have been designed around a touchscreen, but not a single one that has been built around a keyboard. Garnet has come the closest, but all in all, everything out there has been concentrating on the touchscreen. Android, WM7, the iPhone, now Symbian, they all are concentrating on a touchscreen.

On the other side of things, what makes Palm stand out is the keyboard on the front of the device. Designing something around that would make much more sense for them. I like having a touchscreen, but it's much easier to have a solid foundation for one-handed use with a keyboard, and THEN put touchscreen support on top of it, than it is to stand with the touchscreen and then add in keyboard support (look no further than WM for an example of that.)
    Here is what a lot of folks are waiting for. Palm doesn't have to go and re-invent the wheel. Just give us the option of the big screen and exclusive touchcreen / 5way navigation.
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...oPro-Turbo.jpg

... or most everyone would go for this enhancement immediately. Stretching the SSS to the edges and QWERTY as well. Why this is not the starting point for every Treo is beyond me still.
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...reoProPlus.jpg
    Patrick Horne
    ** Think iphone... **

Hah. Nahhhh, think Nova exclusively. Here's a leaked screen shot on a solid white unit with multiple windows and what looks to be a system crash ...

http://tinyurl.com/6qp2fc
    Patrick Horne
  6.    #6  

Think iphone...
    Not if they want to sell to me!

Think Treo - Think harware keyboard.

Like this (320x400 on 850 image)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johncc; 08/18/2008 at 01:26 AM.
    If you want the kb, your phone is out there..the 800w. If gsm, wait til the treo pro. If the old palm OS, those too.

Why on earth would palm make something the same with a completely different OS?

Absolutely the dumbest thing they could do would be to release a device that looks even remotely like the Treo (square screen with qwerty kb underneath it) with their upcoming new OS.

Palm's kb was great but a touch screen kb can serve the same purpose. Where palm really excelled with the old palm OS was the ability to add apps, not be beholden to what palm or carrier would let you install, simple navigation, etc.

You may yawn and question why they'd go after making one but that's because there is no great solution yet. Apple cripples what you can do not to mention lacks some basic features. Sprint or verizon really doesn't have much to offer period in that category that has a decent OS or apps. This is the market to go after and you won't make a dent with an old treo lookalike.

Again, think widescreen. Think no qwerty kb.
    If you want the kb, your phone is out there..the 800w. If gsm, wait til the treo pro. If the old palm OS, those too.

Why on earth would palm make something the same with a completely different OS?

Absolutely the dumbest thing they could do would be to release a device that looks even remotely like the Treo (square screen with qwerty kb underneath it) with their upcoming new OS.

Palm's kb was great but a touch screen kb can serve the same purpose. Where palm really excelled with the old palm OS was the ability to add apps, not be beholden to what palm or carrier would let you install, simple navigation, etc.

You may yawn and question why they'd go after making one but that's because there is no great solution yet. Apple cripples what you can do not to mention lacks some basic features. Sprint or verizon really doesn't have much to offer period in that category that has a decent OS or apps. This is the market to go after and you won't make a dent with an old treo lookalike.

Again, think widescreen. Think no qwerty kb.
    There's no great solution yet for the keyboard devices either. WM has major limitations in that area because it was originally designed around a touchscreen, hence why many say that Garnet has a higher usability and is more intuitive than it. And I think hopefully that a touchscreen only device from Palm will come eventually... but not in the first device. Most of the die-hard Palm fans (aka the only ones actually interested in Nova on the first device its released on), want something similar to the Treo, with a more intuitive OS than Windows, with great one-handed use. Sure, installing tons of applications is one of Garnet's huge advantages, but the one thing that the original Palm set out to do first and foremost was be a good organizer, just like that'll be an afterthought for Nova. I think that eventually, in future devices, we'll see touchscreen only Palm smartphones, but its much easier to have great keyboard support and just ignore the lack of a keyboard when one isn't present than it is to tack it on after the fact.
  9.    #9  
    Again, ..... Think no qwerty kb.
    There is no indication that that Palm shares your opinion and I hope it stays that way.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    WM has major limitations in that area because it was originally designed around a touchscreen,
    Did you leave out a NOT?
    Last edited by johncc; 08/18/2008 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Did you leave out a NOT?
    It depends on what version you're talking about. WM Standard, was designed around having hard keys, and in many ways is more intuitive than a WM Pro device.

WM Pro was designed around a touchscreen and very few hard keys. Sure, it might not have any flashy interface or even be designed as a touchscreen interface to use by finger, but it always was meant to be used as a touchscreen.

And for the record, from my playing around with the Android emulator, that looks like it'll be exactly what cardfan wants. A pretty touchscreen interface with no limitations in third party apps. They're too busy trying to compete with the iPhone to be what many of us Treo users want.
    Palm's kb was great but a touch screen kb can serve the same purpose.
    Thanks for playing.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    android isn't worth talking about. I'll let you know when it is ..if ever..

Again, why would palm make two very similar devices with two totally different OS's on them? That's pretty stupid.. Not to mention, they've been there..done that.
  14.    #14  
    My expectation is that Palm have embraced WM in the short term to allow them to produce competitive smartphones and maintain their place in the market until Nova is mature enough to be their sole operating system.
    Last edited by johncc; 08/19/2008 at 08:00 PM.
    I like my Treo 680, but I'll tell you this. As soon as Palm OS arrives in connected form with a real display, I'll jump. The Treo fans love the KB, and I like it to. I hope the new Palm OS finds it's way into the "Treo" FF, b/c it's useful to many. But for those of us who began to live large (literally) on the TT3s beautiful screen, we can never be satisfied with the pathetic SSS of the Treos and certainly not the Centro.

Apple created nearly exactly what many have been begging Palm to deliver for years now. Yeah, it's super slick, but also not yet ready to be the workhorse of a true PDA. Palm, please deliver your new OS with some killer HVGA or VGA displays. Movies, spreadsheets, photos, internet and a host of others will jump dramatically in value.
    Patrick Horne
    well said. That's why there's room for palm to do an iphone like device (not completely iphone like). Because the iphone is more multimedia than pda. I'd drop the iphone in a heartbeat if palm does one well.
    I agree. A stable OS that is built from ground up that can handle rich multimedia (DVDs, youtube, flickr, TV output, 3+MP camera, etc), is a mean music machine (iPod/touch but with the freedom to use unrestricted MP3s), is highly customizable, has the efficiency of the Palm OS, capable of handling some of the basic enterprise stuff (exchange, office, etc) that sits on a form factor that has a large HVGA or VGA touch screen with a treo slider keyboard (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=170006) would be awesome!
    There's something I haven't found the answer to yet.
    Is the new Nova OS that is suppose to come out for the next Treo (POS)
    Will I able to carry over all of my 755p apps???
    Is nova going to be something completely new that doesn't work anything like POS??
    And if it is going to be different, my main concern is, that what happens to all of that money I spent on my app for my old 650 and my current 755??
    Your treo is referred to as a beginner smartphone targeted toward women and kids. Now go get that centro

I doubt the current palm apps are compatible with the new palm OS. I doubt you'd want them to be...if palm's wish is to amaze anyone.
    Actually, supposedly back when they started they were going to do something similar to what Access is doing with ALP, in that it'll be a completely new OS based on Linux, but have a Palm compatibility layer (sort of like a more native version of Styletap).

Of course, we haven't really heard many details since, so who knows.

I didn't think the Pro was being wasteful when I thought that it still had actual softkeys, but now that space below the screen does seem wasteful to me, knowing that it doesn't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast