Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Your treo is referred to as a beginner smartphone targeted toward women and kids. Now go get that centro

I doubt the current palm apps are compatible with the new palm OS. I doubt you'd want them to be...if palm's wish is to amaze anyone.

I doubt you'd want them to be...if palm's wish is to amaze anyone

I don't know about all that..
    I have over 50 apps on my phone that I use daily.
    Not unless they have apps that simulate what they do, I can't see leaving pos.
    granted that apps like takephone 2day, 4cast, pTunes, Kinoma, and Core Player would all be replaced on a WOS.
    there are other simple apps that are so crucial that I use like: callfilter, BluePill, agendu, Chatter, teallock ect.. that I need.

Also, Ive never owend a windows os phone. So I don't know how they compare to a pos.

Are there a lot apps for treo windows os??

Your treo is referred to as a beginner smartphone targeted toward women and kids. Now go get that centro

I thought Centro were geared towards soccer mom's (no offense to the soccer mom's)
    and teenage girls.
    I actullay waited untill the centro dropped and when I went to the store, it was the same as the 755.
    The 755 just looked more like a profesional phone.
    I don't know I might be wrong but it seems like the centro is to the 755
    like the BB pearl is to the BB curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fully_Amazing View Post
    granted that apps like takephone 2day, 4cast, pTunes, Kinoma, and Core Player would all be replaced on a WOS.
    there are other simple apps that are so crucial that I use like: callfilter, BluePill, agendu, Chatter, teallock ect.. that I need.
    Assuming that there is actually support for Garnet applications in the new Palm OS, some of these have very little chance of working, since they use very specific APIs. For example, Chatter is very very unlikely to work. However, Marc was hired by Palm, so that can only mean good things for the built-in email program.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Assuming that there is actually support for Garnet applications in the new Palm OS, some of these have very little chance of working, since they use very specific APIs. For example, Chatter is very very unlikely to work. However, Marc was hired by Palm, so that can only mean good things for the built-in email program.

Cool
    Thanks for all your support.
    The reason I'm asking all these questions is because Whats the point of waiting on a POS phone that is "RUMORED" to come out in March, If I'm not going to be able to use my POS apps.
    If the POS changes what does that mean for Palm treo??
    Am I going to have to learn how to use a new OS??
    Because if thats the case, I might as well start with the Pro.

What a good estimate of POS Apps that work with Styletap??? ( can you give me a ballpark figure)
    and is that app [Styletap], Good??
    I haven't heard much people talk about it.
    and if it works well, how easy would it be to use your POS apps with a treo WOS phone???
    Just speculating, but i'm assuming the new palm OS would be a bit different geared toward finger touching which would make old palm apps pretty hard to use. Icon based, definitely but probably not like apple's.

To be honest, it's anyone's guess on what palm has cooking in the Nova end, gsm or cdma or both, palm store?, etc.. It will be interesting i'm sure though
    For those wanting the KB AND the big screen, here is a possible solution (crude drawing) for NOVA devices. You get the huge value of one handed use and a simple landscape option that preseves KB functionality. Whachathinkabaddit?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...aith/Roteo.jpg
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    A large touchscreen with a Linux version of the Fitaly keyboard would also be great. Fitaly stamp on my old Handspring Visor Deluxe was super fast.

http://www.fitaly.com
    If they run a vm session for each legacy palm OS app that is launched, a lot of the older apps will work just fine. The apps won't even know they are running in emulation.
    nova won't even resemble the windows treos IMO.

Think iphone...

Keyboard please like the motorola q, 800w or Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I have suggesting this for some time now. Move all the buttons to the screen and make them soft ala iphone but keep the keyboard.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I wonder if we'll see "innovative" designs for Nova - Think about a Clie NR70-esque design.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    I have suggesting this for some time now. Move all the buttons to the screen and make them soft ala iphone but keep the keyboard.

What do you guys think?
    Hmm, I really like the hard send/end buttons as well as others. A d-pad is also necessary as far as I'm concerned.

However, maybe you could put a small d-pad there, or one of those tiny little optical things, and get buttons next to it as well as on the sides of the device. Maybe like the green send key on the actual left face of the device and the red end key on the right face of it, with start and ok buttons shaped like the 750's soft keys surrounding the optical directional directly below it.

(Just throwing ideas out there, I actually like the Pro as is, though there is that slight bit of wasted space where there should be actual buttons as soft keys, or at least the screen should be made just slightly bigger to fill.)
    My home, email and calendar buttons are the most worn buttons on my unit. I would sooner give up the keyboard than those buttons. Why increase the steps it takes to look at your calendar when or email?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    My home, email and calendar buttons are the most worn buttons on my unit. I would sooner give up the keyboard than those buttons. Why increase the steps it takes to look at your calendar when or email?
    Agreed! Leave the hard keys (and keyboard). I turn on with the button for the application that I want. (BTW I'd also like to be able to go straight into the launcher.) Used to mostly turn on with calendar button, but now it's Takephone on the green phone button.
    Whew, I don't know how you guys can handle Takephone. Tried it for a week and thot I would go crazy it was so cumbersome. To each his own tho.

Now, here comes RIM with a full screener. Hmmmm ...
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos...boxed/1003011/
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Whew, I don't know how you guys can handle Takephone. Tried it for a week and thot I would go crazy it was so cumbersome. To each his own tho.

Now, here comes RIM with a full screener. Hmmmm ...
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos...boxed/1003011/
    Very nice - the blackberry storm, that is. Ya gotta love how rimm is branching out with new form factors and large screens. Its all about diversity and choice and rimm is definitely capitalizing on opportunity. Looking forward to this one.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Again, think widescreen. Think no qwerty kb.
    I won't buy one as such.

I tried a mogul with a slider keyboard for 6 months.

I will NEVER buy a phone without a front facing qwerty again. for email its essential in my mind. (guess maybe i'd just stick to the WM Treo line....)

there's still TONS of room to improve the os to make front facing kb better. windows mobile has plenty to like as opposed to palm os 4 AND and plenty NOT to like- a new os that has the best of everything would be a big improvement.

the only beef I have with the current treo/centro form factor is the square screen. make it rectangle and life is good.- my preference would be high rather than wide- the balckberrys witht the wodescreen are more like tablet pc's than candy bar phones....
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

I doubt the current palm apps are compatible with the new palm OS. I doubt you'd want them to be...if palm's wish is to amaze anyone.
    not sure at all but there's tons of examples where hardware vendors put emulators in to give one software one generation back compatibility.

current palm os I believe is a prime example allows programs that were written for the old processor family.

gambeoy advance played gameboy games.

ds plays gameboy advance games

wii plays gamecube (and actually about 3 or so other OLD platforms by download)

varis play stations played older games.

xbox plays old xbox games

blue ray players play dvd's

and on and on.

so my *guess* would be the palm will allow current gen programs to emulate on nova.

access already said their new linux palm os (renamed I think since palm bought the name back?) will allow the old programs.

so there's no reason to now do it- and it allows you to launch a new gen of hardware with tons of software availible which is likely why its done all the time.
    Palm would be making a huge mistake if they don't make nearly all current Palm OS apps work with their new Nova OS. What, pray tell, would a new Nova OS Palm smartphone have going for it?
    1) slick new interface and functionality (we hope!) (but there's lots of slick out there already)
    2) thousands if not tens of thousands of add-on 3rd party software apps ready to make your device extremely functional
    3) waning loyalty of Palm users

Let's look at this from two points of view: the user and the software developer.

Me, as professional who uses Palm: I have tons of medical software which I find indispensable for my everyday practice of medicine. If Palm goes to the new Nova OS which can't run all my medical software, Palm will go from being able to host thousands of software app titles down to an immediate zero app titles until developers start writing new ones for Nova. I can't wait a few years for a new set of excellent PDA software apps to be written for my professional work. I'd either keep using my Treo, dump Treo for a dumb phone and a Tungsten E2, or jump ship to iPhone with what will be by next spring a growing list of medical PDA software. If, on the other hand, the new Nova OS runs all my current Palm OS medical software, I'll eagerly jump to the new device with great functionality in my professional work right from day one.

Now, how about the software developers. Well, if I'm a developer (and who says I'm not!), and I think the Nova OS is a brand new venture starting from scratch with no backwards compatability to older apps, I have to worry that few users will get the devices. Why would I, as a developer, want to invest tremendous programming time and costs to write apps for a new OS with questionable viability? On the other hand, if Nova is compatible with older Palm software, then I as a developer have more confidence that old Palm users will march forward to become new users. I'd be tempted to write for the new Nova OS.

By the way, I am a developer at this point. And since I cannot be confident in Palm's future, I have started looking at ways to write software projects that work on other platforms. I am a very novice programmer with little skill. But what I have written has been on PDA Toolbox, a Palm-only integrated development environment. I am now looking at CASL's development environment software because with CASL, one can write apps and then "compile" them into Palm OS apps, Win-Mobile apps, and Windows PC apps. I am NOT a fan of Windows anything (I'm a big Apple Mac user and Palm user). But I have more confidence in Windows' longterm viability than I do in Palm's.

Anyway, backwards compatability is a MUST. There is no way that Palm would turn their back on thousands of software titles which is one of the great strengths of Palm if not the great strength.
    -- Josh
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12