1.    #1  
    Can I listen to radio stations that stream their content over the internet on a POS treo? Would I need some other software to do it? Are there freeware packages out there that do this?

I'd like to be able to get wlsam.com 890 (Chicago station) when I'm traveling around and out of range of their normal broadcast signal. I can do it with my laptop and a Sprint PCMCIA data card using Windows media player.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post

That worked. Although it directed me to a different site for pda users. http://www.thestreamcenter.com/pda/

I searched for 890 and then followed the link to listen and my 700p brought up Kinoma player and it started up. Great! Thanks.
    Last edited by fulltlt; 08/07/2008 at 12:18 PM.
    Sprint
  4. Zcu
    http://talkstreamlive.com\mobile looks great and works good.
    Yes, you should be able to.

I have a Treo 650 and use Pocket Tunes to listen to some of my favorite talk radio via the internet.

I believe Pocket Tunes is available for most Treo's from at least the 650 and on up.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

6. UserOne
    Just another option, I currently use the full-version of Kinoma 4 EX (Requires purchase of Kinoma software) to listen to Internet streams and radio stations. Works perfectly for me on my Sprint 755p.

L8R
    what about free Mundu Radio?
  8. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    what about free Mundu Radio?
    Mundu works pretty well too. I have recently installed it on my 755p with no issues. The one BIG problem I have with Mundu is that I have yet to find a way to add a stream that is not currently in their playlist.

With Kinoma 4 EX, you can simply copy the URL of a particular stream you want to listen to and paste it into a new playlist, save it and you now have it forever.

Just my .02... otherwise, Mundu has worked beautifully.

For those wondering what "Mundu" is... click here: Mundu Radio
    Mundu boasts 1000's of sites but when I go through the categories I don't think they total more than 100 altogether. Is there something I'm missing or is there a way to pull more feeds? I already updated it.
  10. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by truspark View Post
    Mundu boasts 1000's of sites but when I go through the categories I don't think they total more than 100 altogether. Is there something I'm missing or is there a way to pull more feeds? I already updated it.
    I noticed that as well. I'm not sure what the whole story is there either. I counted about 112 streams all together, a far cry from 1000's... but maybe they are still adding them or have not released the whole list to us ????

I've updated several times as well.... same story. Not sure what the deal is there, but the service works well as long as you can find something you want to listen to within those 100 or so streams.

L8R
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    I counted about 112 streams all together, a far cry from 1000's...
    FWIW, Kinoma Player's Kinoma Guide literally does include 1000s of radio streams.

In fact, there are well over 500 Clear Channel stations alone.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    FWIW, Kinoma Player's Kinoma Guide literally does include 1000s of radio streams.

In fact, there are well over 500 Clear Channel stations alone.

-- Charles Wiltgen

When I use blazer to browse to a streaming link and click on it it brings a Kinoma pop up on my screen that goes away after a few seconds and then starts to play.

Is this some sort of stripped down version of Kinoma that comes with the 700p?
    Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    Is this some sort of stripped down version of Kinoma that comes with the 700p?
    Yes, every Palm OS-based Treo and Centro comes with a mini streaming player called Kinoma Media Embedded.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    The problem with Kimona is that I can't use it in the background.
  15.    #15  

Yes. I noticed that too. Pocket Tunes lets you run it in the background and do something else whereas this Kinoma lite does not allow for that. Is that something that the full version does allow for?
    Sprint
    That's a problem with Palm OS, which supports one application at a time.

Some apps hack Palm OS to sneak around this, but at the cost of more frequent crashes and reduced battery life. If you're willing to pay that price, I'm afraid we're not your solution.

I'm sure Palm's working very hard on a modern successor to Palm OS that will allow us to do this safely, and we're looking forward to it. And of course our forthcoming Windows Mobile application won't have any such limitation.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  17. UserOne
    I just gotta say that while not being able to listen in the background is kinda annoying, I am really impressed that some companies still value reliability and stability above all in their software (even if it comes at the cost of certain features). The commitment Kinoma shows to their software on that is admirable atleast and for that I give them a huge Thank You!

Not trying to get on a soapbox or anything, I admit I use pTunes in the background as well. Both sides of the hack issue have their place in the current PalmOS world. Charles' comment just struck me as something "you don't see much of anymore" is all.

L8R