1.    #1  
    I need a PDA. I don't need or want a cellphone.
    Can I just buy a used Treo on Ebay and use it as a PDA without paying for cellphone service?
    If so, which model would be best?

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzbone View Post
    I need a PDA. I don't need or want a cellphone.
    Can I just buy a used Treo on Ebay and use it as a PDA without paying for cellphone service?
    If so, which model would be best?

Thanks for your help!
    Yes. You can use the Treo as a PDA. You've just simply turn off the phone.

If you want the WM, you may consider to get the Treo 800W. If you like the Palm OS, I would suggest you to get the Centro. My two cents.
  3.    #3  
    I have no experience with either OS.
    I need a portable device for calendar and note functions.
    It would be a bonus if I could open basic word or excel docs, too.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jazzbone; 08/03/2008 at 09:51 AM.
    Any used Treo will do for your needs. The 600 has lowest screen resolution.
    800w also will give you wifi access.
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the advice!
    On Ebay, a 700W goes for about $100. A 800W goes for about $300.
    Sounds like a big premium for wifi. So, the 700W seems to fit my needs.
    Is it pretty safe buying a used one?
    Definitely not safe buying off ebay.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Definitely not safe buying off ebay.
    That's ridiculous. There are plenty of good phones on ebay that can be good deals. You just have to be careful of which one you choose. Check the feedback and personally, I prefer to buy from an individual instead of a wholesaler. I've bought and sold plenty of phones on ebay and never gotten burned. If you really want to be safe, get the esn and call your cell phone company to check it. Get one that is the same as your cell carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    That's ridiculous. There are plenty of good phones on ebay that can be good deals. You just have to be careful of which one you choose. Check the feedback and personally, I prefer to buy from an individual instead of a wholesaler. I've bought and sold plenty of phones on ebay and never gotten burned. If you really want to be safe, get the esn and call your cell phone company to check it. Get one that is the same as your cell carrier.
    If they're just wanting to use it as a PDA, it really doesn't matter what cell phone company the phone is through.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    If you want a PDA but not to use it as a cellphone, why not just buy a PDA? Check the Palm website, and/or this forum to get ideas of what you might want, there are alot of VERY helpful members there!

Quote Originally Posted by babydol View Post
    If they're just wanting to use it as a PDA, it really doesn't matter what cell phone company the phone is through.
    If you (jazzbone) do decide to get a PDA/cellphone, it's not a bad idea to get one that you could use with your carrier in case later on down the road, you decide to activate it.

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Friend, I think you just contradicted yourself. If it is safe, then you don't "have to be careful of which one you choose."

I guess it depends on what you call safe.

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  12.    #12  
    thanks for the great advice.
    I will check out the Palm TX and compare it to the Palm 700W. The TX goes for more than the 700W on Ebay, but it has wifi built in. (which I really don't need). I only intend to use this at work, where we don't have any wifi.
    Also, I'll read that forum you recommended.
    As far as cell carriers go, I just use a prepaid cellphone for emergencies. It saves me a lot on monthly bills.
    I have an ipaq that I use as a PDA when I just want a PDA... actually my wife usually uses it. I really wouldn't waste my money on a PDA/Phone if I only wanted a PDA.

For the limited (if ever) time I want the Internet, my ipaq has wi-fi.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
    I just bought a Treo 700wx for $50 shipped on Ebay. Hopefully, I won't regret it!
    thats a good price! hopefully it works out for you!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro