1.    #1  
    i love my treo

i don't see another ph out there that meets my needs teh way my 755p does

so, i'd like to insure against the future - i'd like to get a "backup" treo

i told my bud my plan to just buy an "extra" off ebay and he asked, "you got the insurance right?"

so that got me thinking...

what would happen if i called in my treo as "lost"

i've got the comprehensive insurance - meaning "they cover it" including if it falls overboard and sinks to the bottom of the ocean (i don't have to provide the original)

i'd get a "replacement" - and i'd use it

when it finally "dies" in two years or whatever i've still got my trusty old treo that i'm using now - only, i call into sprint and say "surprise! i found it!!"

i can't really tolerate any down time though - if sprint were to turn off service to my current phone while i'm waiting for the replacement to arrive, i'd be screwed

but i'm thinking sprint might be a big enough company that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing - lol

what do you think of the twisted little web i'm weaving - you think my scheme will work??

- devious
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone View Post
    i love my treo

i don't see another ph out there that meets my needs teh way my 755p does

so, i'd like to insure against the future - i'd like to get a "backup" treo

i told my bud my plan to just buy an "extra" off ebay and he asked, "you got the insurance right?"

so that got me thinking...

what would happen if i called in my treo as "lost"

i've got the comprehensive insurance - meaning "they cover it" including if it falls overboard and sinks to the bottom of the ocean (i don't have to provide the original)

i'd get a "replacement" - and i'd use it

when it finally "dies" in two years or whatever i've still got my trusty old treo that i'm using now - only, i call into sprint and say "surprise! i found it!!"

i can't really tolerate any down time though - if sprint were to turn off service to my current phone while i'm waiting for the replacement to arrive, i'd be screwed

but i'm thinking sprint might be a big enough company that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing - lol

what do you think of the twisted little web i'm weaving - you think my scheme will work??

- devious
    I don't think it would work as I'm fairly certain a 'lost' phone will get a locked ESN and that is permanent.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Not to mention totally dishonest and insurance fraud. 755ps are going for around $200 on ebay. You would be paying a $50 deductible for the insurance. For $150 please do the right thing.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Definitely not worth that black mark on your record. Believe me, it will pop up again and again.

On the other hand, to be perfectly frank, I was extremely frustrated when my 755p died the Access Screen of Death and, although I did already have insurance, and insurance WAS replacing my phone, I went out and purchased another 755p off ebay which is tucked away in a drawer, already updated to 1.08, and waiting to be activated if and when my primary Treo has 'issues.'

I can bill in one hour what the backup unit cost me, and it's far more than an hour's worth of aggravation when a Treo goes down. Knowing that I have a backup unit and that I do 2 different SD backups (BackupMan + NVBAckup) a day) has considerably lowered my stress levels. BTW, I also had a spare Palm T|X and a spare T|3 for a while when I had those units (and, okay, I'll confess, I haven't sold my T|X's yet because I keep using one of them as a replacement laptop with an IR keyboard when I travel because of the WiFi.)

I actually tried to get VZW to activate 'both' Treos (some providers will actually do that), but I couldn't. Apparently, as a previous poster indicated, the phone # is linked to the Treo's ROM identification info.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  5.    #5  
    nah

i'm not gonna

i hadn't even considered that except that my friend brought it up

you know, my treo is suffering from other things (vol control - brightness - etc)

these problems prompted me to call sprint

i got a curve - but then returned it

i'm just realizing i like the treo

i think what i'll do is just return the current treo and get a replacement - under the insurance

and all is fine - all on the up and up