1.    #1  
    According to an article over at Engadget Mobile via mocoNews, Palm filed its 10-K annual report with the SEC last Friday, and that Elevation Partners deal wasn't the only one Palm sealed last year.
    mocoNews is reporting that Palm also bought three companies, according to details in Palm's SEC filings, though no specific names were disclosed.

-- During February 2007, Palm acquired the assets of two sole proprietorships focused on mobile computing and media devices, one a developer of user interface environments and the other a developer of email software applications. The purchase prices of $19.2 million in the aggregate were comprised of $19.0 million in cash, of which $2.5 million was deposited with an escrow agent pursuant to the terms of escrow agreements and $0.2 million in direct transaction costs.

-- During October 2007, Palm acquired substantially all of the assets of a corporation focused on developing solutions to enhance the performance of web applications. The purchase price of approximately $0.5 million was comprised of approximately $0.5 million in cash, of which $0.1 million was deposited with an escrow agent pursuant to the terms of the escrow agreement, and less than $0.1 million in direct transaction costs.

So, looks like these acquisitions were for the development of Palm's new Nova OS most likely. Very interesting. Good to see evidence that Palm is moving along with the new OS. The acquisition regarding the corporation focused on web applications especially caught my eye since Palm talked a lot about the new OS having such great web browsing abilities. Current speculation has the email company as Chatter and the other company as Pixio, which brought Marc Blanc (Chatter) and Paul Mercer (Pixio) on board.

Nova can't get here soon enough!

Read full article

The clock is ticking. Palm needs to improve their web browsing experience soon. Web browsing is one of the most compelling features for the iPhone.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    what is Pixio?
    I assume the email software applications is refering to chatteremail. If it is and Marc got a little of the 19M payout, then Marc made out! Chatteremail was revolutionary for what it could do with Garnet, however, I don't think it's worth is in the millions... Maybe Palm did?
    yeah i am pretty sure it was the Chattermail acquisition and the Paul Mercer signing that they are talking about so nothing new.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    I assume the email software applications is refering to chatteremail. If it is and Marc got a little of the 19M payout, then Marc made out! Chatteremail was revolutionary for what it could do with Garnet, however, I don't think it's worth is in the millions... Maybe Palm did?

good for marc that he got a pile.

But i dont think anyone thinks that chatter was worth that much.

But apparently Palm thinks MARC IS worth millions. Think of it- the guy single handedly built a better email soultion than like any pda version around. Better then palm's versamail, goodlink, ms pocket outlook, probably blackberry. And on and on. And he developed it on the POS POS (peice of something palm OS). Cleary the guy has a noggin for software.

The gist I got from his posts at the time were that palm hired him to work on something new that wasn't the folio. And that chatteremail was sort of a throw in at the time.

Hopefully they are using his brain to make nova a success. I hope so.