Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is my first post in about 2 years (had another job that gave me a company phone...blackberry...got laid off, now I'm starting MY OWN COMPANY).

Since I'm the boss (with the wife being somewhat of a boss as well), I get to buy the toys that work the best. I know this is going to be biased since I'm on TC, but my past experience of this website is that you users are VERY WELL INFORMED. IN other words, I can get more from this question here than from 2 hours at the sales counter.

So, in terms of a one man company (which is how it's starting out as a civil engineer)...what phone will work better? The iPhone is the more "sexy" phone, but I did like the actual keyboard of my last treo (650). I've played with an iPhone and honestly, the keyboard was hard for me to use, but I was told (by my sister-in-law) that everyone thinks it's hard when they first try using it...so it's a learning item.

I'll need good coverage (Verizon versus AT&T) and a good contact and calendar program. And of course I'd like a push email versus a pull...not sure if either of those do that but I remember treo was working with getting a push email server in before I lost my treo...I would prefer something that works almost perfect out of the box (I bought so many programs for the 650 to get it to run how I wanted it, I'm wondering if the newer models are any better). And I need something fast. I know both VZW and AT&T have their own high speed networks...from what I remember, VZW's network was faster than 3G, but that was 2 years ago...are they pretty much on par?

So, those are my questions. Anything I missed. If you know of any of the answers above, I would really appreciate your responses/help. Thank you!
    A couple of questions for you:
    Will you have access to AES?
    Do you need to coordinate schedules between you and your wife?
    What are you using in the office for contact management and do you want that to be linked with your phone?
    What business are you going to be doing? Office work or field work? (field work tends to destroy phones so the cheaper the better)
    How long will you be away from power? (AKA will a non swappable battery be an issue)
    What kind of impression do you want to make? (Serious business person or trend follower - oversimplification but some people/clients do notice these things)
    I would think the lack of good synchronization options would exclude the iPhone (e.g. tasks if you use PIM a lot and Notes sync), and if you need your business software NOW you will get it already on WM, while you will have to wait at least a few months or even longer to get them on the iPhone.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    So, in terms of a one man company (which is how it's starting out as a civil engineer)...what phone will work better? The iPhone is the more "sexy" phone, Thank you!
    Verizon vs. ATT... only you can answer that... talk with people in your area that have both plans. ATT works great for some... verizon works great for some... but if the provider you pick does not work where you are working then it is worthless. But the "newest" treo is on sprint, not verizon or att.

I'd say a treo 800w with an exchange account (I'm in nc as well and sprint works fine, but again, depends on how it works for you). Places like sherweb.com and 1and1.com have cheap exchange accounts. Many ways to set this up with only two people... you could do one business calendar with two people inserting info or two separate calendars and merge them together or whatever....

Then again, you could pickup a mobile me account and make that work with an iphone and outlook. Apple has had some recent trouble with this service, but it is new, so expect it to smooth out over the next couple of months.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    If he goes with hosted exchange he could buy and use his own domain name. Since he is starting his own business I am sure he has done that already. Of course the iPhone can also do hosted exchange, but certainly for business purposes an @me.com address isn't very suitable.

Surur
    IMHO, in term of handling email, Treo thumbs up. I do not own iPhone but I own an iPod Touch and tested the email. It sucks. When using the iPod Touch, I use the Wi-Fi to sync but it is slow. (It should be faster than any 3G).

For choosing the service provider, one thing I would like to remind you is whether you will travel to other countries, like Europe or Asia. If you think you will travel to Europe or Asia, then I would suggest you to use AT&T. Because overseas countries are all using GSM standard, except Korea and Japan.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses...some of the additional information I didn't give.

Verizon coverage works a lot better here than Sprint...so sprint is out. Does the 3G network effect coverage at all? My sister-in-laws (2 of them) both have the older iPhone without 3G and coverage isn't "bad" but isn't as good as VZW...so unless 3G helps in normal coverage at all (and I'm assuming it doesn't but don't know for sure), then this may be the deciding factor.

I will be doing engineering work, business development, and meetings the vast majority of the time. I may be doing some survey work, but this would be a secondary job that I can contract out to my neighbor (good to know people). So I'll be inside the most of the time or in meetings.

I'm using MS office / calendar / contacts internally and I definitely want everything to sync up here.

My wife's calendar doesn't need to sync up with mine.

I very seriously doubt I will be traveling overseas for business (at least not within the next 5 years)

If I'm "away from power", I should be in my vehicle...so car charges should help (i.e. non-swappable batteries don't really concern me as long as I can get a days talk in).

As far as buying domain names/hosting, this is in the works. I have about narrowed my name down but until I have a few jobs under my belt, there's no real need to have a website (i.e. there's nothing impressive to put up until I have jobs completed). I plan on reserving a few naming variations of our companies name to protect our "brand" but since the brand hasn't officially been created, this is a bit further along.

Here's the deal...I have a company that can feed me a few BIG jobs to get me started...while performing these jobs, the bills will be paid and I can concentrate on business development. The few big jobs should keep me afloat for over a year and after that, I should be on my own. After a few months of work, I'll hire a company that I have experience with to re-create my logo/brand. I've seen their work and I'm impressed with their results (they did the brand creation for the company that will be feeding me my initial jobs).

So until I actually get up and running (i.e. need a website), I don't think I'll have an exchange server.

Thank you for your help...I really appreciate it.
    I am an iPhone user, but for business I would go for a Treo or similar device. The iPhone is a fun consumer device, but you'll be jumping through a lot of hoops to get an iPhone to the level of a windows mobile device out of the box. And I wouldn't rely on mobileme for a business email service, it's had too many weird issues.

If you like the look of the iPhone, you could always get a business-y phone like a Treo, and then get an iPod touch to play with and stay up to date on the software. When/if the iPhone gets more business friendly, you can test the software on the iTouch...I just think you'll be incredibly frustrated if you try to run a business off an iPhone at this time.

As far as AT&T vs VZW? You're going to have to really test that yourself. I've had AT&T since it was Cellular One followed by Cingular followed by AT&T, and I've never had an issue. But I've lived around the Northeast in major metro areas during that time, so my experience may be very different than yours.
    So until I actually get up and running (i.e. need a website), I don't think I'll have an exchange server.
    I would definitely go for hosted exchange in any case. It gives you something you would want, being push e-mail. It also has the great feature of keeping all your PIM and e-mail in sync over a wide variety of devices and platforms - e.g. my laptop, desktop, and all my phones all sync to the same hosted exchange account, with my own domain name, all for only $20/month.

If/When you get an iPhone in the future the transition would be very simple - just point it at the same server.

Surur
  10.    #10  
    Wow...it looks like the VZW's best treo (700wx from their webpage) came out in September of '06...so two years ago. Not really feeling good about buying a two year old phone...Sprint's service was horrible here last time I had Sprint...at&t, not sure about the service. iPhone's articles say they are "working" on getting email services up to par with windows/blackberry. So no clear answer...darn it.
    A good exchange server is not really about a website but about PIM sharing as surur pointed out. Properly configured, you can have someone else schedule a meeting for you (AKA wife) and have it pushed out to your phone without having to directly sync it to the computer.

The 800w is coming to verizon sometime soon but unknown as to the exact timeframe.
    Wow...it looks like the VZW's best treo (700wx from their webpage) came out in September of '06...so two years ago. Not really feeling good about buying a two year old phone...Sprint's service was horrible here last time I had Sprint...at&t, not sure about the service. iPhone's articles say they are "working" on getting email services up to par with windows/blackberry. So no clear answer...darn it.
    I think you are looking at it the wrong way... how about: the 700wx has been out for two years and it is stable!

You will be picking up a very stable phone... and maybe at a discount if you can swing it. I've owned a business or worked for myself since '97 and know stability trumps everything when it comes to business hardware/software. The heck with how "sexy" something looks or even how old it is. I have an "old" cd printer that I've had since 2001... everyone states how old it looks... but it works 100 times better than the new printers (it is ugly though)...

Plus, I think you will notice that MANY business people use and trust the treo. When I travel, that is all I see. I remember being in vegas last year and everyone there had a treo 700wx (or 700w) it seemed... ok, maybe not, but a lot of people had the phone. At my family reunion this year, everyone with a pda phone had a treo 700wx except the kids who had moguls and moto qs.

In other words, I doubt very seriously if anyone in the business world will look down at a 700wx.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13.    #13  
    I don't mind picking up a stable/older phone..but I do mind paying top dollar for a 2year old phone when the new one will be coming out shortly (just wish I knew how shortly on the verizon network!)
    I don't mind picking up a stable/older phone..but I do mind paying top dollar for a 2year old phone when the new one will be coming out shortly (just wish I knew how shortly on the verizon network!)
    The only thing holding me back from buying the 800 is the fact it is new. I'll let the guinea pigs play with it for a while... although, I have ordered my 4 gb mini sd card (or whatever it is called) already. So far the 800 seems like a good replacement for the 700wx.

Plus, I'm seeing 700wx's flying off ebay at under $100. I've been watching them to see how much I could get for my phone.... no way I sell my phone... worth more as a backup. So you could get a used 700wx until the 800 come out, if you wished. Pick one from this forum or try ebay (ebay is hit n miss lol).

For business I don't think it really matters that much... even less if you go the exchange route. And an exchange server is fairly cheap these days, http://sherweb.com/ has them starting at $9 per month. http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/MailExchange has them for $7 per month (1and1 is cheap, but their support sucks). I'd more than likely go for sherweb though. The cost is a drop in the bucket. Then again, all of this is a business expense anyway, so I'm not sure why cost would mean much. If you have to worry about $300 in a year, something is wrong. lol

Although, having html email can be a benefit... not sure if it matters much. Extra space can help as well... I've had the 700wx working as my sole business phone (no land line) for over 17 months now with little to no issues... it is not a bad phone at all. I'll upgrade to the 800 soon though.
    Last edited by theog; 07/23/2008 at 05:50 PM.
    I love some of the features of the iPhone especially the Shazam app, but for business purposes, the iPhone just doesn't "cut" it for me. It can't cut-n-paste without jumping through hoops, and it can't create/edit word or excel documents.
    I use both of those features on my 700P regularly.
  16.    #16  
    Alright, I have a chance to buy a 2 month old refurbished model...for $125.00. How do I verify it's not stolen and that VZW will activate it? Heck, will VZW even allow me to use their network without a contract? And once the new model comes out, upgrade and sign it then?
    I have owned the 700p the iPhone and a blackberry, if I was to start a business tomorrow I would buy the blackberry on verizon. I tho k, and it is just my opinion, that the blackberry is the best business phone. I love my iPhone and I still carry it but work gave me the blackberry a d I can see why.
    If you aren't a current vzw customer, you will have to get a contract. To check if vzw will acxtivate the phone, call with the esn number and ask.
  19.    #19  
    I actually am a VZW wireless customer...the account is in my name, but my wife's phone is the only active phone...so I was hoping to add a month-to-month with a second line. Have no idea if they'll allow that, but will stop by a store today to check it out.
  20.    #20  
    Well, looks like I'm going with Sprint....reasons are

• $100 unlimited monthly fee versus $150 unlimited monthly fee with VZW
    • treo 800w is available now unlike VZW
    • ordering online gives an extra $50 discount from sprint plus no activation fee
    • get 30 days to play with it and if the service is bad, I can return it

I don't like the blue color of the sprint model...but that is so minor, it seems like a slam dunk...the only unknown is whether the service is any better than 6 years ago (last time I had Sprint). Thank you for your advice all...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast