Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (This is in the general forum because it's a question for Treo community - users, writers, TreoCasters, etc.)

The discussions I've heard about Treo's is usually about the beginnings (pre-650 or so), the new stuff, and occasionally the stuff in-between... except for the 755P.

The 755 seems to be an after-thought, at-best, while the older, problematic 700 and, 700w/wx remain discussion-worthy - especially the much older, and net slower 680.

I'm not hating but I wonder about the continued relevance of these previous models when the 755p is the newest Treo (not-Centro) except for the newborn 800w. Was the 755p not colorful enough (like the 680) or a innovative enough (like the 700 models' faster net speeds)?
    Last edited by west3man; 07/17/2008 at 03:19 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The 755p is about a year and a half old at this point. That's pretty old in cell phone terms. It came out shortly after the 680 which cost a lot less. It also suffered from a long delay to get it out on Verizon which no doubt hurt its popularity. It has little to distinguish is from the 680 except for faster data capabilities and a better paint job. Overall it's a nice phone that doesn't really stand out enough from its predecessors enough to encourage people to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The 755p was essentially a stopgap device, quickly designed to put the miserable 700p out to pasture. It combined the "fixed" 700p innards with the 750 formfactor, and added the nice bonus of a bigger battery housing.

The 700p arrived simultaneously with Sprint & Verizon in May of 2006.

The Treo 680 came out in October of 2006.

Sprint's 755p came out in May 2007. Verizon's version was available for mail order in Dec '07 and on retail shelves in Jan '08.

The 755p actually has a number of differences from the 680, chief among them being CDMA instead of GSM, the "old" CDMA phone app, a 1.3mp camera, the bigger battery well, soft-touch paint and a miniSD slot vs. fullsize.

The 755p targets a different market (domestic business users) whereas the 680 is more of a global/youth/budget-oriented handset, a trend continued by Palm with the GSM Centro earlier this year.

I still feel the 755p is the best overall POS Treo, with the 680 coming in a close 2nd.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I feel its the last great Palm OS Treo...

WOuldnt mind an 800p to come out though
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Umm, it IS the last Palm OS Treo

The Centro, while TECHNICALLY the Treo 690, is, well, the "Centro" and likely the final Garnet-based device we'll ever see (specifically the GSM & Verizon versions of the Centro). However if Nova slips or is cancelled, I would not rule out a quick Centro 2 later this year or early in '09 to try to keep the momentum going...
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  6.    #6  
    As the TreoCentral main page says, the 755p is being phased out from Verizon. Wow. This in the eighth month since its release.

Clearly there's something about the 755p that doesn't say "value" to certain people. I still don't know what that is, though; plus, my 755p is through Sprint and I don't know what software differences there may be between the two.

One more thing: I went to Google's Google Maps site for mobile devices and they have the following categories:

BlackBerry
    Windows Mobile
    iPhone
    Nokia smartphone
    Nokia standard phone
    Motorola
    Sony Ericsson
    Samsung
    Other

Apparently (non-Windows Mobile) Treo's only rank as high as "Other."

That's sad, man - and not just for the 755p - but for Palm and those of us who dig Palm devices.
    Last edited by west3man; 07/28/2008 at 11:00 PM.
    I don't know about value, but my 755p does things that no one else's phones can do, or maybe they just don't know how to do it.

It might not have name recognization or be trendy, but it WORKS and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING else on the market.

I'm used to purchasing things that are not all the rage. Sometimes I'm ahead or behind or in a place altogether different. I don't care as long as my stuff WORKS :-)

Like my Nissan Thermos Backpack bottle, that is a cross between a thermos and a mug. I LOVE it, but hardly anyone has ever heard of it :-0 All the ease of a flip top mug AND leakproof AND keeps tea BURNING hot for 8 hours. It's not trendy or popular but it WORKS :-)

All I know is I never leave home without my backpack bottle and my 755p. EVER!
  8.    #8  
    Hearing about the misleading GPS functionality of the 800w makes me appreciate my 755p that much more. Of course, I'd need an external Bluetooth gps receiver with either device, if I want navigation independent of Sprint's signal, but at least I knew what I was getting into with the 755p.

Maybe this isn't such a big deal for some folks, but (true) gps functionality matters to me much more than wi-fi access from my Treo.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Hearing about the misleading GPS functionality of the 800w makes me appreciate my 755p that much more. Of course, I'd need an external Bluetooth gps receiver with either device, if I want navigation independent of Sprint's signal, but at least I knew what I was getting into with the 755p.

Maybe this isn't such a big deal for some folks, but (true) gps functionality matters to me much more than wi-fi access from my Treo.
    I agree and currently use the Freedom GPS with my 755p. The convenience of having on-device is enticing. While looking into the 800W it is my understanding GPS functionality is not locked to Sprint Navigation (and it's monthly fee). You can use your own software (or GoogleMaps) and gps usage is free, unless you count our taxpayer dollars that put the satellites in space for everyone's use.

I'm also one who appreciates the under-valued nature of the 755p. Whenever using anything else for personal information management, I'm astounded at the meme developed around people denegrating the PalmOS. It's true that it is old and we're sick of waiting for POS II/Nova. But it still bests the newest OS's available in usability.
    Check out how the 755p still blows the doors off flashier, less usable devices.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    I agree and currently use the Freedom GPS with my 755p. The convenience of having on-device is enticing. While looking into the 800W it is my understanding GPS functionality is not locked to Sprint Navigation (and it's monthly fee). You can use your own software (or GoogleMaps) and gps usage is free, unless you count our taxpayer dollars that put the satellites in space for everyone's use.

I'm also one who appreciates the under-valued nature of the 755p. Whenever using anything else for personal information management, I'm astounded at the meme developed around people denegrating the PalmOS. It's true that it is old and we're sick of waiting for POS II/Nova. But it still bests the newest OS's available in usability.
    Check out how the 755p still blows the doors off flashier, less usable devices.
    What I've seen in the 800w forum, it actually DOES require a Sprint signal. There have been multiple reports/posts to confirm this so I'm confident it's fact.

Feel free to check it out if you like.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    What I've seen in the 800w forum, it actually DOES require a Sprint signal. There have been multiple reports/posts to confirm this so I'm confident it's fact.

Feel free to check it out if you like.
    West3man,
    Here is a quote from Deiter Bohn's review, who is generally a key source:

GPS

The 800w has built-in A-GPS (i.e the full standalone GPS that can also get extra assistance form towers) and Sprint has not locked it down at all -- it's fully available to any app that wants to access it.

I was basing my observation on this...just not sure which conflicting information is accurate. Locked or unlocked?
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    West3man,
    Here is a quote from Deiter Bohn's review, who is generally a key source:

GPS

The 800w has built-in A-GPS (i.e the full standalone GPS that can also get extra assistance form towers) and Sprint has not locked it down at all -- it's fully available to any app that wants to access it.

I was basing my observation on this...just not sure which conflicting information is accurate. Locked or unlocked?
    I understand. I'm leaning toward the people who've owned it, used the gps functionality just fine... until traveling to Canada or other places with no Sprint signal.

One person even said that it worked fine when the signal dropped... but just for a while.

I hope Dieter or someone else at TreoCentral revisits the topic.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    The 755p was definitely a stopgap device. The miniSD card is the most puzzling aspect of the device. Palm managed to stuff a full-size SD card reader into the 680 -- why couldn't they do that for the 755p? Also, the software load on the 755p wasn't much improved over the 700p. The Centro has much more updated versions of DocsToGo and PocketTunes, for instance.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I think it's terrible that they put a non-current (at the time) Docs to Go in our ROMs. pTunes Deluxe would have been nice, but at least the basic version they included wasn't covered in dust.
  15. UserOne
    I'm also one who appreciates the under-valued nature of the 755p.
    ^^^Same here. I've been a long-time Palm OS user, so I'm kinda used to the snickers and side jokes from others about POS. However, after upgrading to a 755p earlier this year I noticed something extraordinary....

I found myself in many scenario's where another person with their shiny new iPhone, Sony Ericsson, WM Device, etc. was simply staring at what I was doing on my 755p then looking back at their device and asking me, "So, wait, how do I do that on my phone?" If you haven't guessed it by now, more often than not I found myself trying to explain why their device either wouldn't do it at all or took much more effort to complete the same almost effortless task just accomplished on the 755p.

In all honesty, I must admit the 755p is not the most technologically-advanced or even the most good-looking device out there, but I have become aware of just how good it is at what it does. For my needs that prefer function over form, I love my 755p.

Just my .02....
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    ^^^Same here. I've been a long-time Palm OS user, so I'm kinda used to the snickers and side jokes from others about POS. However, after upgrading to a 755p earlier this year I noticed something extraordinary....

I found myself in many scenario's where another person with their shiny new iPhone, Sony Ericsson, WM Device, etc. was simply staring at what I was doing on my 755p then looking back at their device and asking me, "So, wait, how do I do that on my phone?" If you haven't guessed it by now, more often than not I found myself trying to explain why their device either wouldn't do it at all or took much more effort to complete the same almost effortless task just accomplished on the 755p.

In all honesty, I must admit the 755p is not the most technologically-advanced or even the most good-looking device out there, but I have become aware of just how good it is at what it does. For my needs that prefer function over form, I love my 755p.

Just my .02....
    I'd love to have that experience. I don't talk to many people about their phones, through.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Just my .02....
    Well said. I've also found a tacit acknowledgment of the 755p's capabilities.
    And there is no question that the 755p with POS .
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2

Just my .02....
    I completely agree - and with remote desktop with evdo - I couldn't ask for more. I guess it boils down to what you need, how you use it, and if the provider has service in your area.

I for one do not think the the 755p is all that ugly - who knows it might be a collector's item soon - but i love it!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I completely agree - and with remote desktop with evdo - I couldn't ask for more. I guess it boils down to what you need, how you use it, and if the provider has service in your area.

I for one do not think the the 755p is all that ugly - who knows it might be a collector's item soon - but i love it!
    I always thought the 755p was a very good-looking device. Mine has a fat booty (because of its extended battery).

But seriously, the 800w would look a little better, imo, if it had the silvery border around its screen. I even think the 850 would look better with the 800w's (or the 755p's) keyboard configuration.
    Last edited by west3man; 08/10/2008 at 09:35 PM.
  20. UserOne
    But seriously, the 800w would look a little better, imo, if it had the silvery border around its screen. I even think the 850 would look better with the 800w's (or the 755p's) keyboard configuration.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit too pragmatic here, but I would think the shiny, silvery border around the screen would simply get hopelessly smudged with endless amounts of finger strokes... requiring fastidious cleaning .

One thing I did notice about the 800w's keyboard is it's "flatness"... for those that don't know, it's keys are a bit flatter & squarer than the 755p's rounded, bubbly keys. Personally, I found the 800w's keyboard a bit easier to type on than my 755p's... also, noticing that I made fewer "oops" mistakes where you accidentally hit the wrong key. I suppose which keyboard you prefer comes down to personal preference and, well, how big your digits are hehe.

I always thought the 755p was a very good-looking device. Mine has a fat booty (because of its extended battery).
    Not too hijack the thread or anything, but how do you like your extended battery & has it affected how you carry it (due to the added size) ?

Thanx in advance for the feedback, I'm considering one as I am getting in a bit of a habit of watching movies & TV on my Treo.

L8R
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast