Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's just speculate...

You know how low on cash Palm Inc is and how little innovation they could really spend on hardware... do you think we will see the 800w hardware on the next gen Palm OS Treo?

Furthermore... will you buy it if it did?

I would. Just the thought of having a hardware Wifi button on my Palm OS Treo excites me
    Surely it will be an improved version of the 850 design?

Surur
    Actually, here is one of the three designs that will arrive by late 2009'. This one is my favorite b/c it allows the fully useable KB + HVGA and allows the same Treo one handed functionality until you want to flip for widescreen. Internally named Roteo. Coming in 4 colors too I bet!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    There won't be a Nova Treo. Treos are exclusively Windows Mobile, just as Centros are exclusively Garnet OS. Nova-based devices will be something else entirely. That's not to say there won't be a bar-shaped Nova phone with a touchscreen and a front-facing keyboard, but it won't be a Treo.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Actually, here is one of the three designs that will arrive by late 2009'. This one is my favorite b/c it allows the fully useable KB + HVGA and allows the same Treo one handed functionality until you want to flip for widescreen. Internally named Roteo. Coming in 4 colors too I bet!
    woha! thats a looong phone...

just do the slider design ala Tungstens i'll be happy.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post

yes thats one of my favorite concept treos!!

not a big fan of sliders though... i want the Tungsten slider not the nokia slider.

remember this pic? http://news.tecnozoom.it/img/palm-treo-900p.jpg
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    ...do you think we will see the 800w hardware on the next gen Palm OS Treo?

Furthermore... will you buy it if it did?
    Well, I'd agree that I like the 900p concept with the larger screen and slideout keyboard! However, after being part of Palm's paying beta-testing team (aka a 700p owner ), I think I'd have to wait and see how Nova does and possibly wait till the 2nd version of the Nova phone comes out.
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Has anyone placed a centro and an iphone side by side. The centro is considerably smaller. I think an ideal form factor would be to have the centro keyboard placed at the bottom the face, like at the bottom of the iphone. Even with this 'physical keyboard', that would allow room for a large screen. The hard keys could become virtual ones depending on the program in use. This would make a great form factor (iphone) actually usable (centro keyboard).
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    Treos are exclusively Windows Mobile, just as Centros are exclusively Garnet OS.
    Umm, the Treo 700p and Treo 680 run Garnet...
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That design looks terrific - I would just wonder about one-handed use with the keys so close to the bottom. However, it does seem to meet a number of needs (big screen, keyboard keys closer together than other sliders, no screen flip.)
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Umm, the Treo 700p and Treo 680 run Garnet...
    What he was saying is that Treos are exclusively Win Mobile in the future 3 tier model structure describe a few months ago.
    Exactly. Going forward all new Treos will be WM devices. All Centros will be Garnet OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsu View Post
    There is going to be a Treo 800p it has been discussed in various Sprint meetings. The planned release is March 16 or 17. Hope that helps, also not sure what OS is on it or if it's an updated Centro, although they are calling it the 800p. Palm you don't make any sense!!!
    Source???

Perhaps the 800p IS the new nova phone. Though March would be earlier than I would expect for Palm.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Source???

Perhaps the 800p IS the new nova phone. Though March would be earlier than I would expect for Palm.
    I won't be surprised if 800p is indeed the Nova phone. In that case, having one in March next year makes me excited!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

that is all me.

I tried a mogul for ~6 months.

the main thing I miss from that over a palm is the larger screen (even though the resolution was smaller- it's much nicer to have more real estate for browsing, reading email, video, etc)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    my 2 cents-

sliders stink when you are used to the front always there keyboard on a treo/centro.

The time to spin and open the slide on the mogul annoyed the crap out of me and it pretty much takes 2 hands to flip the slide open- if you make it too easy so you could just 'flick' it with your thumb or something it would be a problem- even the mogul which takes too hands- people complain it opens in their pockets.
    Where did you find this picture? Was there any addional information about this and/or any other Nova products?
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

From Palm's history I would say the 800w styling will include some sort of Palm OS whether it be Garnet or the new Nova system when it is released.

Let's see...the Palm Treo w/wx is the same as the 700p except maybe the case color.

750 and the 755p were essentially the same hardware and style...

I would say it is a safe bet that this trend will continue. I think they do this because some people want WM but want the same treo their friends have, but without Palm OS.

I guess we will have to wait to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    my 2 cents-
    sliders stink when you are used to the front always there keyboard on a treo/centro.
    The time to spin and open the slide on the mogul annoyed the crap out of me and it pretty much takes 2 hands to flip the slide open- if you make it too easy so you could just 'flick' it with your thumb or something it would be a problem- even the mogul which takes too hands- people complain it opens in their pockets.
    Excellent points and why the current Treo / Centro designs are superior ergonomically. That being said the Roteo design requires no flipping or intervention unless the user wants to spin the display to landscape. Reducing the wasted frontal area of the Treo / Centro design will actually keep the "portrait" length in check.

The design of the sliding 900p looks fabulous on the surface, but is a disaster when using in landscape mode, such as for web and spreadsheets. Turn that pic 90 degrees and PS a landscape screen on it to see the problem. The Treo / Centro user experience allows for the extremely important one-handed / instant access to and entry of data. The HTC (etc) sliders do not, thus the moaning above. The Roteo concept will allow equal Treo / Centro instant one handed usage as well as offers the superior widescreen experience of the HTC and other designs.

Spreadsheet, document, e-mail, SMS, web, movies, games, and other widescreen productivity can easily be accessed by a flip of the screen. Even a one-thumbed flip.

The old photo of the keyboardless HVGA Treo would be acceptable too. Bring back G1, plus Nova, plus HVGA or VGA and I could go there. But the Roteo form factor would still be preferable to me and most biz types I think.
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast