Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    320x480 is the mininum they have to do. I won't buy another Treo ever if it's still 320x320.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    1) Colligan referred in 1 or more of Palm's quarterly conference calls to "new form factors" (note the plural)... that says to me that Palm has multiple new designs in the hopper rather than one new "be-all-and-end-all" approach. Let's hope those designs measure up...

2) IMO, they're likely to keep the Treo/Centro style (square screen over a physical keyboard) as one of the options for the Nova line. It's worked in 2 smartphone lines so far... why mess with success? For WinMob and the Centro, they'll probably keep the form factors on the same track as now. Eventually, I think Garnet on the Centro line will be replaced (with a new entry-level device running Nova--whether or not it's obviously Nova). They may well keep the Centro name, just change the OS to consolidate everything once Nova's solidly established. After all, on the PDA lines when OS 5 came out, they did have the original Zire for a while still on OS 4, selling like hotcakes to new users, and then did a quiet upgrade with the Zire 21 to OS 5. I expect something similar here, though not until maybe 2010 or so.

Now, if I'm right on these points, the question is what they launch when... and for what networks. Other than the Centro, the last time they had the same model on both GSM and CDMA was the 650. I'm hoping that when they launch the first Nova devices, that they do offer a range--say, 3 devices in both GSM and CDMA flavors. I'm not holding my breath on that--it's just my personal best-case scenario.

Looking forward to sometime in 2009... (ok, looking forward to 1/20/2009 too--though that's better addressed in "Off Topic")...
    Last edited by Q; 09/30/2008 at 10:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    If you asked 'em now, a Palm spokesperson would likely claim to have three (if not more) different formfactors, based on the size/shape/screen/keyboard size of the smartphone:

1. "Compact" Centro design (small 320x320 & tiny "sheet" keyboard)

2. "Classic" Treo 800w/755p/750 design (larger 320x320 & curved "smile" keyboard)

3. "Ultra-thin + modern" Treo Pro (320x320 & larger "sheet" keyboard).

I'm not counting on seeing anything with a screen resolution higher than 320x320 (except, perhaps, for a higher density square screen in a future WinMob Treo such as 480x480)
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I'd be happy with a large screen and a virtual keyboard as long as the latter is as good (i.e. large buttons which you can "press" with your fingers) as the iPhone's
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm has so far done everything in its power to pretend that screen resolutions larger than 320x320 and non-square aspect ratios do not exist. I do not expect this trend to cease anytime soon. FrankenGarnet fully supports 320x480 and has done so for FIVE years now (T|T3) yet Palm has not released a 320x480 device since the TX of THREE years ago. Instead, we get 320x320 screens that are physically smaller than the Treos of years past. That's not progress. And Palm has been too lazy/cheap/arrogant/incompetent to port the much friendlier phone app/dialer of the GSM 680 and Centro to their CDMA Treos and Centro. You'd think it'd be a no-brainer to have those larger onscreen buttons with the Centro's reduced screen size.

But going back to the arguments against small square screens (SSS)--
    Windows Mobile 6.x has none of the technical limitations Garnet has and the best Palm can do is toss in wi-fi and UMTS/HSPA/A2DP while still clining to the tired old Treo FF.
    The only hope Palm could have going forward is to do a flexible new UI for large-screened Nova devices that works in "Pro" (stylus) mode as well as a dumbed down, iPhone-esque "consumer" (fingertip) mode.

I personally like to use a thumbtap when doing one or two quick tasks but prefer a stylus for any intensive and/or detailed work. Palm needs to offer users the best of both worlds because right now you have the WinMob camp firmly in stylus territory on one side and the Apple camp on the other (with RIM's BB Storm presumably taking the finger approach from Apple's playbook as well).
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Please do not saddle us all with that horrible phone app on the 680. The CDMA one is better in my opinion although they both pale in comparison to takephone.

A properly set up UI should be completely usable without using a stylus or fingers on the screen. It should be usable with them but should not require them. It's the classic mouse vs keyboard shortcuts for most things in a windows program. You should never force your user to use one or the other.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

I'm not counting on seeing anything with a screen resolution higher than 320x320 (except, perhaps, for a higher density square screen in a future WinMob Treo such as 480x480)
    besides 240x240 and 320 x320 does winmo support other square screens?

anyone know the resolutuons winmo permits currently?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123