Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I'm tellin y'all.... i'm all for the Tungsten Slider design, with the QWERTY keyboard being the slided part... then revealing a 320x480 screen.
    How about a combination slider/"roteo"? No reason that the display couldn't swivel once the keyboard is exposed.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    How about a combination slider/"roteo"? No reason that the display couldn't swivel once the keyboard is exposed.
    I think putting a landscape view hardware button ala LifeDrive would be a nice additiion
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Excellent points and why the current Treo / Centro designs are superior ergonomically. That being said the Roteo design requires no flipping or intervention unless the user wants to spin the display to landscape. Reducing the wasted frontal area of the Treo / Centro design will actually keep the "portrait" length in check.

The design of the sliding 900p looks fabulous on the surface, but is a disaster when using in landscape mode, such as for web and spreadsheets. Turn that pic 90 degrees and PS a landscape screen on it to see the problem. The Treo / Centro user experience allows for the extremely important one-handed / instant access to and entry of data. The HTC (etc) sliders do not, thus the moaning above. The Roteo concept will allow equal Treo / Centro instant one handed usage as well as offers the superior widescreen experience of the HTC and other designs.

Spreadsheet, document, e-mail, SMS, web, movies, games, and other widescreen productivity can easily be accessed by a flip of the screen. Even a one-thumbed flip.

The old photo of the keyboardless HVGA Treo would be acceptable too. Bring back G1, plus Nova, plus HVGA or VGA and I could go there. But the Roteo form factor would still be preferable to me and most biz types I think.

totally agreed- roteo- long screen is a winner.

i'm not even sure i need to rotate. the extra real estate even in landscape only mode would be really nice to have.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I'm tellin y'all.... i'm all for the Tungsten Slider design, with the QWERTY keyboard being the slided part... then revealing a 320x480 screen.
    thats a thought too
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    needing to slide to expose the keyboard sucks.

i would guess the money, effort, and space to slide is close to the same as to rotate- so why do both and spend twice the money, design effort, and phsyical space?
    Bulls,
    The T3 with Treo phone innards has been my dream for years now. But the reason the a sliding keyboard will not satisfy is that landscape mode makes typing a we bit challenging. Rotation allows the best of both worlds, and no extra hassles of the slide or rotate if you want to use it like current Treos in portrait mode.

Yeah sliding and rotating could be another FF. That would offer less length, but requires the pain of sliding out a keyboard with 2 hands for the simple things. Those simple things are about 1/2 of what the KB gets used for in my estimation.

**i would guess the money, effort, and space to slide is close to the same as to rotate- so why do both and spend twice the money, design effort, and phsyical space?**
    efudd,
    Yes in many cases sliding and rotating sux. For those cases the Roteo design worx as easy as a Treo. No rotation would occur for 80% of usage. Users could one hand just like a candybar Treo in portrait without any rotation involvment at all. But when widescreen use is desired, then a simple flip of the screen allows e-mails, documents, spreadsheetss or texting with the same keyboard functionality. Movies, vids, pix etc can be viewed in landscape or in portrait with the phone flipped over.

Landscape only candybar FFs like the Blackjack, BB Curve, Nokia E61, etc limit screen width due to the ergonomics demanded for a comfortable width of the human hand. The same FF in portrait nullifies the keyboard in landscape usage. iPhone handles this well except users are still left compromised with an onscreen keyboard and difficult one handed (a high % BTW) usage.

HVGA gives a better contrast in modes than VGA, but device length for a phone might be come problematic. VGA devices would make for a shorter phone, but less landscape benefit.
    Last edited by LiveFaith; 08/05/2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Patrick Horne
  8.    #28  
    I understand what you're saying about the landscape typing. Actuallly did not think of it before now. However, i think most of the typing will be done in the normal view i believe. The only reason i actually like to have a bigger screen is for multimedia purposes, not really for document viewing.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    is the roteo a likely form factor or just one of 100's of things they try?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I understand what you're saying about the landscape typing. Actuallly did not think of it before now. However, i think most of the typing will be done in the normal view i believe. The only reason i actually like to have a bigger screen is for multimedia purposes, not really for document viewing.

I was thinking along those lines earlier. the one place where typing and landscape is key is for spreadsheets. but beyond that for email or word docs just the extra length is very usefull to fit more words so no need to necessarily rotate then. (reading email on a mogul closed in portrait is a bunch nicer then reading on a treo- you get more lines of text at once.)
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I am all fore this design I think it would kick a$$. I always wonder why nobody did this.
    I am hoping for a OLED screen that folds or rolls up. This would give you room for a large thumboard with more and larger keys and it would fold down to a small and light unit. OLED's have taken a large dip in prices and the resultion is amazing! There also is the chance of a keyboard that folds out from under display since OLED's are very thin. This design was used by one of the new PALM executive desigers, who came over from Danger/sidekick, I know he designer a very flat phone with a foldout keyboard for a new firm, that had a great design and a crummy software. (The name of that firm, just slips my mind). Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  13.    #33  
    I think folding OLED screens is more further down the road rather than the next form factor for Palm's next phones.

Ed did say though that the hardware will be "game-changing". Maybe folding OLED would be it, although i highly doubt it.

I am not a fan of that concept though.

And i think Palm will stick with the QWERTY keyboards for their upper end smartphones. I read somewhere that this is the main disagreement jon Rubenstein had with Steve Jobs regarding smartphones. Jon believed in a physical keyboard, Jobs wanted a touch screen.
    Thanks for the info, I like everyone else cannot wait!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm not the biggest fan of the "Roteo" idea that you came up with, because moving parts aren't that good as far as I'm concerned. However, to get the best of both worlds, with the Roteo and the T3 slider-like idea mentioned, how about if the bottom portion of the screen rotated under the keys. Then it wouldn't have to be so ridiculously tall to accomodate the larger ratio screen.

(And while we're at it, if you're going to do that, it should be 640x480 when rotated to widescreen, and 480x480 when the screen to be partially inside.)

Not going to happen, but while we're throwing out crazy concepts.
    While we're fantasizing about form factors, why not a clamshell design? For me, the old Samsung i500 was almost perfect. Iknow I'm a dinosaur, but I remember when you could write on your phone using graffiti and I swear i could do it almost as fast as I type, (maybe faster, since there were DEFINITELY far fewer mistakes.)

The clamshell protected the screen, hid the information until you wanted to see it, and behaved and looked more like a phone than a freaking brick. I still have a very soft spot for that Samsung phone.

It was also very easy to open and operate with one hand. I'm sure if they insisted on a full keyboard, you could fit it on the lower portion, though I'd prefer the Samsung method of regular phone pad and Palm Pilot style graffiti input area.

Any chance one of the 30 prototypes were this type of design?

Greg
    I love my 755P and how it syncs with Palm Desktop. No problems, works great. However, my next phone will have to have the larger screen. More larger, more better. However, I would also prefer that phone have the Palm OS to allow smooth transition with Palm Desktop. With a year to go on my Verizon contract I'm looking forward to some solid information on any new releases soon.
    Here's the Treo Flipper! Ahhhhh.

http://tinyurl.com/624zmd
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Question for all: The Treo Pro uses Qualcomm's MSM 7201 chipset, which supports both Android and Windows Mobile natively. Qualcomm announced native support for Linux in 2005, but then felt the need to specifically announce support for Android. What does that mean for Nova? Can we assume that since Nova is Linux, it will be supported? If so, then the 800w/Pro hardware should be sufficient for Nova. If not, then Palm will have to find a way to cram a second applications processor into the phone.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Here's the Treo Flipper! Ahhhhh.

http://tinyurl.com/624zmd
    nice concept. too much of a RAZR though. but you're on to something there with the 320x480 screen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast