Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Been using PalmOS for a while with Chatter. I now have a stable and responsive 755p (with a centro available if I can deal with the battery and small keyboard.

I want to like WM. I want to like the 800w that I am 'testing' for the month. I realize WM is the future. But I just don't get it. For all of you that switched from a Palm with Chatter to WM, why do you like it so much better???

My initial impressions are that the 800w is slower, outlook mobile doesn't match Chatter at all, and there are not as many customizations out there. I downloaded Pocket Informant but it doesn't match the feature-set of Datebk6 and 2day combined. PIE is no better than Blazer either.

I'll give you that the GPS (and, to a lesser extent, wifi) make the hardware more appealing. But can someone please tell me what I am missing? For all of you who had a stable PalmOS with Chatter, why are you now happier with WM?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    There is no chatter replacement. FlexMail comes closest and is not really close.

But other than email, how is the 800w SLOWER than a Palm OS device? I loaded all my apps and it flies.
  3.    #3  
    Just my impression. On a fresh device, I feel that I am seeing the spinning circle a lot. Although it may be fast for a WM device, I am not seeing that it is faster than my solid 755p.

But are you saying you switched because of speed? What if speed on the 755p were fine? Why else do people seem to like WM better than POS?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I switched from a 700p to a 700wx for a few reasons:

1) StyleTap ran most of my apps on the WM device
    2) I couldn't go back to a single-tasking OS after using WM for a few weeks
    3) There are some very robust apps for WM that just don't have comparables for Palm OS (emulators, SlingPlayer came out on WM first, Opera Mobile, a working OperaMini that doesn't restart from the home screen every time you have to answer a call or add a calendar listing).
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I switched from a 700p to a 700wx for a few reasons:

1) StyleTap ran most of my apps on the WM device
    2) I couldn't go back to a single-tasking OS after using WM for a few weeks
    3) There are some very robust apps for WM that just don't have comparables for Palm OS (emulators, SlingPlayer came out on WM first, Opera Mobile, a working OperaMini that doesn't restart from the home screen every time you have to answer a call or add a calendar listing).
    What emulators are you using on WM that aren't available on Palm?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Been using PalmOS for a while with Chatter. I now have a stable and responsive 755p (with a centro available if I can deal with the battery and small keyboard.

I want to like WM. I want to like the 800w that I am 'testing' for the month. I realize WM is the future. But I just don't get it. For all of you that switched from a Palm with Chatter to WM, why do you like it so much better???

My initial impressions are that the 800w is slower, outlook mobile doesn't match Chatter at all, and there are not as many customizations out there. I downloaded Pocket Informant but it doesn't match the feature-set of Datebk6 and 2day combined. PIE is no better than Blazer either.

I'll give you that the GPS (and, to a lesser extent, wifi) make the hardware more appealing. But can someone please tell me what I am missing? For all of you who had a stable PalmOS with Chatter, why are you now happier with WM?
    You aren't really missing anything in your impression. Although the Palm OS is very quick and efficient and has some of the best programs available for the platform (I was a Chattermail user too and loved it), it is unfortunately a dead end platform and sooner or later you'll have to make the jump if you want to play with the latest gadgets (i.e. wifi, gps, EVDO rev A, etc.).

I completely agree with you that I'm biting my tongue on some of the lame usability issues inherent with windows mobile. Why can't I hit the Opt button and then hit a secondary key without holding down the opt key with my second hand? Why the heck does Outlook mail seem so basic on the handheld but do everything on the desktop? Why the heck does Flexmail's screen selection and exit methodology break with standard convention of select and 'ok' to nav back and forth (and introduce a whole side-to-side D-pad thing). I could go on and on but I guess this is the tax with having to make a side step to gain the latest gadgets....

And if the 800w and 800p were introduced at the same time, I would have gone p without a question.....

On a side note, I'm hoping the upcoming home brewed Linux platform will give us exactly what we need. In the meantime, Win mob will have to hold me over.....
    For GSM users, I would guess the reason for moving to WM is HSDPA.
    That was my reason.
    I really haven't regretted the move OS wise either.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    On a side note, I'm hoping the upcoming home brewed Linux platform will give us exactly what we need. In the meantime, Win mob will have to hold me over.....
    You make a valid point. If I can go without GPS, wifi, and multitasking, I can stay with the PalmOS even though it is "old". If I don't like WM, I can wait for NOVA.

You make a valid point. If I can go without GPS, wifi, and multitasking, I can stay with the PalmOS even though it is "old". If I don't like WM, I can wait for NOVA.
    Is there *really* any reason to think that Nova will be more worthwhile than Limo, Android, ALP or even WM7 ? Thinking about the coming of Nova is like thinking about the coming of the hydrogen car... or the Messiah... no idea even what form it will take... At least there are screenshots and rough specs of the others...
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Is there *really* any reason to think that Nova will be more worthwhile than Limo, Android, ALP or even WM7 ? Thinking about the coming of Nova is like thinking about the coming of the hydrogen car... or the Messiah... no idea even what form it will take... At least there are screenshots and rough specs of the others...
    well the hydrogen car IS here... in the form of the honda fcx
    Yep, the hydrogen car is being advertised here in Hawaii and ChatterEmail is not available for WM. What a problem.
    I made the jump from Palm OS to WM when the 700w came out and haven't looked back AT ALL. And let me tell you - I was the world's biggest Palm OS fanboy. I had every app and hack out there known to man for my various Palm OS devices, over the 8 years or so I used them. But while, yes, WM isn't the be all/end all, I do think it's far superior to Palm OS. Like the one poster above said - I love multi-tasking. And I always used to hear people say that and think 'so what - that's no big deal. I can do all sorts of things at the same time on my (6035/300/600/650) - who needs multi tasking??' Well let me explain - it's not so much the SIMULTANEOUS stuff as it is the back and forward stuff. An example: I'm in my email, looking at a message. I need to look at my calendar. On my 800w, I just hit the calendar button, nav around, look at dates, etc. I then hit the 'OK' button, and I'm right back at that same email, still open, at the same point. I like that. I use that same scenario with browsing, other apps, etc. I like that apps stack up on top of each other, so I can go back and go forward, etc. I need that. With Palm OS, as we all know, when I leave an app, that app closes. So - if I 'left' email and went to my calendar, and then back to email, I'd be at the main Inbox screen in VersaMail (don't be hatin' on VersaMail now). Yes I could scroll down to that one email and open it up and respond, etc (which is what I used to do) but with WM I don't need to - that open email is still there.

Also, the main PIM apps in Palm OS (calendar, contacts - all of 'em) basically haven't changed in 10 years. Yes there are PIM enhancements like Agnendus, DBk6 etc (and I used Agendus since it was called ActionNames) but with WM, I get the goodness natively. WM just seems more 'polished' is all I can say.

Who knows what the future will bring but for now - I'm all WM babeeeeee.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    For GSM users, I would guess the reason for moving to WM is HSDPA.
    Yep that's my reason, being in the UK it was the only way to get 3G data speeds on a Treo. WM is like most other Microsoft products, infuriatingly long winded on some occasions and variable performance
    I can switch between Blazer and an open email in Chatter and any other app, and return to the same open email, or web page, with no problem. All well designed Palm apps remember their state and return to that state. The fact the Versa is crap doesn't indict the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    well the hydrogen car IS here... in the form of the honda fcx
    I think you know what I meant... I said "THE hydrogen car", not A hydrogen car... Of course there are a couple hydrogen cars out there, but they are all different and no clear idea of WHICH line of technology (if any) will ultimately become THE hydrogen car. Fuel cell? combustion (like the BMW H7)? hybrid? Batmobile? Hydrogen by electrolysis? Thermolysis? biohydrodrogen? No clue what the final configuration, if any, will look like...

Any idea what Nova will look like?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    One of the things that I liked about the 6700 was the graffiti entry (ironically) and the larger available screen area DIA-wise (didn't check the actual pixel count but it is physically larger). I didn't really take the keyboard out much. In contrast on the 755p I use the keyboard and my finger, and rarely have the stylus out (which is good since it broke in half some time ago). I liked the native multi-tasking on WM. I did not like e-mail clients on WM. I prefer the task manager etc. on Palm OS, but maybe that's because I've used them for almost 10 years now and appreciate their simplicity. =)

I did also like the idea of wifi since I could then directly access my work e-mail on the work network, but I couldn't get WPA2-Ent-AES to work on WM6 so that didn't wind up being a differentiation.

My 755p was similarly unstable to the 6700, but I've done a lot more on the 755p so that may be the bigger factor.

I'm still using my 755p and the 6700 is my wife's, so take that for what it's worth.

I suspect I'll wind up keeping the 755 until it dies a terrible horrible death, and then using the other 6700 that I built from the leftover spare parts after building the other. By then Nova/Android/MacOS/etc. will have the bugs worked out, thanks early adopters...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post

Any idea what Nova will look like?
    I'm a beta tester.

Nova will include everything on every device out right now... wifi, bt, gps and agps, taser, cd radio, am/fm radio, etc. It no longer has a screen... it has voice recognition! It can't be beat.

This is me testing:

http://www.ecojoes.com/wp-content/up..._cellphone.jpg

Seriously, I don't think we know anything about NOVA yet... as I've stated before, it won't be "out" (on a shelf) before April 2009. We still have a ways to go. I think the plan is to start releasing information on nova around the holidays... if I remember correctly.

I agree with you that google released their information EARLY about Android. I was reading andoid stuff last year... and watching videos late last year. Of course, apple did not release anything, so there you go.... Palm will be someplace in the middle.

WM simply rocks... I don't see me going to any other OS. No need. I'm thinking android is going to be like google's other "projects" outside of search, a disaster. Nova, I think will be a copy of android, with some tweaks (much like palm does WM). WM 7 will rock just as much as WM 6.1... Palm messed up when they let WM take over.... Not to mention that WM is working closer with hotmail... exchange accounts are very cheap now... live mesh... so much is going on at Microsoft right now.

Microsoft is preparing to battle with google and palm will be caught in the middle... and not to mention HTC with their great devices (still waiting for a sprint palm "clone" from them, of course).
    Last edited by theog; 07/23/2008 at 12:30 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=theog;1468991]

I'm thinking android is going to be like google's other "projects" outside of search, a disaster. QUOTE]

I hope your not reffering to projects such as GMAIL...Googlemaps =)

Multitasking is great... but current Palm OS gives me everything I need...simplified.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I'm thinking android is going to be like google's other "projects" outside of search, a disaster.
    I don't see why phone manufacturers want to use android. Everyone wants to differentiate their products. Why they want to be controlled by a three party.
    To the original post---it is a good idea!