Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    OK, so Google is supposedly delaying Android a bit but is still shooting for a year-end release w/T-Mo.

    My question:
    How can Google do it and Palm, an OS developer, can't?

    I understand this stuff is hard to write. At the same time, Google has gone from zero to almost done (maybe) in a really short span.

    True that Google hasn't release anything yet and when they do there's no telling how innovative and high quality it'll be. Still, it seems like Palm really is thrashing. I still can't believe they pulled resources off the OS project to work on the Foleo. Wow.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    OK, so Google is supposedly delaying Android a bit but is still shooting for a year-end release w/T-Mo.

    My question:
    How can Google do it and Palm, an OS developer, can't?

    I understand this stuff is hard to write. At the same time, Google has gone from zero to almost done (maybe) in a really short span.

    True that Google hasn't release anything yet and when they do there's no telling how innovative and high quality it'll be. Still, it seems like Palm really is thrashing. I still can't believe they pulled resources off the OS project to work on the Foleo. Wow.

    Truthfully, Google didn't start from scratch. They acquired Android and have been working on that. Palm did have to start from scratch in house, they though also will be basing their Nova platform on linux. Also understand, Palm is a much smaller company than the likes of Google, Apple or Microsoft. They have much less resources to develop a platform and it really is a wonder that they can compete at all at this point imo...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. #3  
    The real wonder is why they didn't have insight to compete BETTER. Then they wouldn't be in the spot they are now, even if they are smaller. You don't wait YEARS to play catch up and then HOPE everything will work out in the end.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The real wonder is why they didn't have insight to compete BETTER. Then they wouldn't be in the spot they are now, even if they are smaller. You don't wait YEARS to play catch up and then HOPE everything will work out in the end.
    Basically because Palm went on for years telling their most vocal and promoting customers that they couldn't and wouldn't build what the customers were begging them for.

    USB? nope.

    Flash card compatible? nope.

    Color? nope.

    32MB RAM? nope.

    Bluetooth? nope.

    WiFi? nope.

    GPS? nope.

    By the time Palm crawled their way to implementing anything, their competitors were already on second and third generation versions of the things we requested. Of course, Palm was the "leader" of handheld devices and OSs, "Palm Economy" and all that blather.. So what did their customers matter? They bought up the only remaining innovator (Handspring) and have done next to nothing over the past five years except dilute themselves into oblivion innovating for Microsoft's miserable Mobile OS.

    So now they don't have an OS, don't have much of a unique hardware design anymore, don't have much customer support, don't have anything keeping people interested in them until 2009, or 2010 or 2011... when they "might" finally have that "next generation" operating system they've been fiddling around with since about the turn of the century.

    I'm all for a "come from behind" underdog story, but Palm seems to have deliberately derided their customers and developers for so long that I have little faith that they'll suddenly design anything worthy of consideration again.

    They ignored their core handheld business for years in exchange for the "magic beans" of Fooleo - I and my buggy Treo 650, 700 and 755 aren't too impressed.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    OK, so Google is supposedly delaying Android a bit but is still shooting for a year-end release w/T-Mo.

    My question:
    How can Google do it and Palm, an OS developer, can't?

    I understand this stuff is hard to write. At the same time, Google has gone from zero to almost done (maybe) in a really short span.

    How can Google do it? Is this some sort of joke question?

    Google has more money than God. They have billions in cash just sitting around. They can invest in literally anything they think is promising. The investment community will throw money at Google, and with good reason. Everything Google touches turns to gold. They have entire campuses of reserachers, developers, scientists, marketers, psychologists, etc. If they want something to succeed, they can hire another 100 or 1000 to work on it at a snap of the fingers. They innovate tremendously. Every new product they work on and come out with is fascinating. I don't always know how I'd use it, but they all seem impressive and full of potential (health records, scholarly info searches, dynamite mapping software, g-mail which strangely is still labelled "beta" -- just imagine how good it will be when the real full version 1.0 is launched!, etc.). I give 'em a lot of credit. What they do they do VERY well. I can't even name another search engine. Does Yahoo still do searches? I used Yahoo back in the mid-90's when I started using the internet.

    Of course, my knowledge of Google's workings and culture comes only from the articles I read in NY Times and the like. But if there's any truth to it, Google gives their employees tons of support, builds a culture of support, collaboration, and success, and their employees work their asses off in return. I'm sure it's not all peaches and cream on the inside. Well, on the other hand, maybe it is peaches and cream. The articles detailing Google's business approach and employee culture come out invariably when the "100 best companies to work for in America" article appears every year. Google is always in the top 10, if not in the top spot. I like the idea of giving employees the tools to be excellent, and then getting excellence in return.

    So the answer is that Google can do it because they can do anything they want, they're Google. More power to 'em.
    -- Josh
    Last edited by steinbej; 08/05/2008 at 06:17 AM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Basically because Palm went on for years telling their most vocal and promoting customers that they couldn't and wouldn't build what the customers were begging them for.

    USB? nope.

    Flash card compatible? nope.

    Color? nope.

    32MB RAM? nope.

    Bluetooth? nope.

    WiFi? nope.

    GPS? nope.

    By the time Palm crawled their way to implementing anything, their competitors were already on second and third generation versions of the things we requested. Of course, Palm was the "leader" of handheld devices and OSs, "Palm Economy" and all that blather.. So what did their customers matter? They bought up the only remaining innovator (Handspring) and have done next to nothing over the past five years except dilute themselves into oblivion innovating for Microsoft's miserable Mobile OS.

    So now they don't have an OS, don't have much of a unique hardware design anymore, don't have much customer support, don't have anything keeping people interested in them until 2009, or 2010 or 2011... when they "might" finally have that "next generation" operating system they've been fiddling around with since about the turn of the century.

    I'm all for a "come from behind" underdog story, but Palm seems to have deliberately derided their customers and developers for so long that I have little faith that they'll suddenly design anything worthy of consideration again.

    They ignored their core handheld business for years in exchange for the "magic beans" of Fooleo - I and my buggy Treo 650, 700 and 755 aren't too impressed.
    I agree 100%. The only reason they are selling any devices at all, is the the Centro and only because its dirt cheap. Other then that, there is absolutely no reason to buy a Palm.
  7. #7  
    well, if you're into WM, palm is the only ones that make WM tolerable..

    They'll be around but the centro only gave them a small breather in the consumer end. This is where palm is in trouble.
  8. #8  
    You have to remember Palm gave up the OS to PalmSource and that PalmSource (now Access) failed to deliver anything other than some patches and the underfeatured Access Desktop/Vista Hotsync. When Palm got a new license from Access in late 2005/early 2006, they finally had legal rights to develop using any part of PalmOS Garnet. Any OS development action taken prior to this license agreement would have landed Palm in court. Given that Palm is around 1300 employees, approximately 500 engineering and less than three years into the process, they can't be compared with Google. The original Palm was founded in 1992 and it took five years to get a marketable product launched.

Posting Permissions