Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys...been a while since I've posted around here...

Anyway, my Sprint contract is up for renewal and I've been chugging along with my 700p now for ages. Haven't had the most positive experience with the device and have gotten really bored and fed up with the ancient POS. SO I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade to the Centro or 800w, or even perhaps jump ship entirely and get something like the Mogul or....gasp...even a iPhone!

The Centro would be the most comfortable device since the POS is soo familiar. However I feel it would be a downgrade or at least a lateral upgrade from the 700p. I know the form factor is nice, but I just can't come to terms with the smaller battery capacity and microSD card slot. The 800w seems really interesting to me though. I'm not that familiar with WM but I just can't resist the opportunity to have wifi and GPS in a treo form factor. I'm addicted to chattermail and my skyscape apps, so I wonder if I can get equivalent alternatives on WM. But the whole microUSB port instead of a headset jack annoys me and reminds me of all the reasons why I get soo fed up with Palm. Ugh... Anyway, just wondering what other people's thoughts were....thanks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have been extremely happy with my Centro. If you use the radio a lot, though, you will need to find a way to charge during the day. I use the USB cable and it keeps me going with no problems.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Why aren't you considering a 755p? They are $200 now and you may even be able to get further discounts. I have been using a 755p for a year and cheated on it with a Centro for a week. Form factor is really nice and OS feels snappier than 755p but here is why I went back to my 755p:

1) Soft touch paint 'nicer' and less slippery for me than centro housing.
    2) Keyboard easier to type because bigger. I could get used to the small one if I had too but it feels like first class when I went back to treo.
    3) Screen. Not as sharp but bigger means easier to use fingers when needed.
    4) Side by side comparisons showed the centro to only be slightly snappier - not significant.
    5) Side by side comparisons showed centro to be slighly smaller - but in this case the centro just "feels" so much more pocketble. Oh well.
    6) Construction. 755p feels more solidly built and gives (IMHO) a more professional look. Centro plastic feel a bit 'cheaper' plus it is targeting new smartphone users.
    7) And last but most important...battery. I am using a Siedio 2200 extended same size battery in my 755p. Even though I believe the centro is better optimized for battery consumption, I felt the 1150 battery on the centro was the equivelant of only 60-70% of the treo (not half bec of optimization). BUT, when I am on the road, sending Chatter e-mails every minute, I can't afford to have a dead battery. I could carry another spare with the centro but I don't want to carry anything extra.

Just my observations. Good luck.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Why aren't you considering a 755p?
    I wondered the same thing...my best pal has a Centro and I have the 755p. The keyboard size and battery life were real driving forces behind my decision, and I think, as well as the other reasons above, the 755p was the right choice.

That being said, I will look at both the 800w and the Touch Pro in January when my contract comes up.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Why aren't you considering a 755p? They are $200 now and you may even be able to get further discounts. I have been using a 755p for a year and cheated on it with a Centro for a week. Form factor is really nice and OS feels snappier than 755p but here is why I went back to my 755p:

1) Soft touch paint 'nicer' and less slippery for me than centro housing.
    2) Keyboard easier to type because bigger. I could get used to the small one if I had too but it feels like first class when I went back to treo.
    3) Screen. Not as sharp but bigger means easier to use fingers when needed.
    4) Side by side comparisons showed the centro to only be slightly snappier - not significant.
    5) Side by side comparisons showed centro to be slighly smaller - but in this case the centro just "feels" so much more pocketble. Oh well.
    6) Construction. 755p feels more solidly built and gives (IMHO) a more professional look. Centro plastic feel a bit 'cheaper' plus it is targeting new smartphone users.
    7) And last but most important...battery. I am using a Siedio 2200 extended same size battery in my 755p. Even though I believe the centro is better optimized for battery consumption, I felt the 1150 battery on the centro was the equivelant of only 60-70% of the treo (not half bec of optimization). BUT, when I am on the road, sending Chatter e-mails every minute, I can't afford to have a dead battery. I could carry another spare with the centro but I don't want to carry anything extra.

Just my observations. Good luck.
    THanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm not considering the 755p is because it seems like too much of a lateral upgrade to me from the 700p. I realize the internals of the Centro are virtually identical, but at least there is a new form factor to deal with. Besides, after using the 700p for nearly two years now, I just can't see myself upgrading to a new phone with is basically the same one I have now except without an antenna! I really have no idea why Palm even bothered to ever release the 755p. It probably was imo one of the lamest and most pathetic Palm upgrades of all time which really never induced any current 700p users then or now to upgrade...ugh! All your points for the 755p are valid of course...but an additional reason why I hesitate to migrate to the 755p is that is truely seems like an EOL phone that obviously will not be supported by Palm via updates etc in the future like the Centro....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    And I believe the 700p was the worst mistake palm made. The 755p was what should have come after the 650. In any case, I had tons of problems with my 700p but the 755p has been rock solid for me. So, the 'upgrade' from the 700p was stability, no antenna, and rubber paint.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    The centro just seems WAY two small to me....

http://blog.treonauts.com/WhiteCentroTreoComparison.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gfunk, long time. I haven't been around here for a long while either, and I just got an insurance replacement/upgrade from my 700p to a Centro.

All I can say is that this little thing rocks! After 3 days of heavy use, I think it's fantastic. I was also getting bored of the 700p and ready for a change. But the Centro's size, snappy behavior, and bright screen leave me very satisfied. If it were time for me to upgrade, knowing what I know now, I would chose the Centro and pay the upgrade price.

Good luck with your decision.
    Someone claimed Palm is offering more support for Centros(updates and stuff like that) and neglecting support for the Treos. If true, Centro if support is important to you. However don't take my word for it, but if you find confirmation that this might be true, I wouldn't buy a neglected Treo. JMO though.

But I do notice they're pumping out tons of Centros in different colors and lowered the price on AT&T, and it makes me wonder if that person may not be too far off the mark. The Centro is getting more attention than the Treo for sure. And this may translate over into support.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Someone claimed Palm is offering more support for Centros(updates and stuff like that) and neglecting support for the Treos. If true, Centro if support is important to you. However don't take my word for it, but if you find confirmation that this might be true, I wouldn't buy a neglected Treo. JMO though.

But I do notice they're pumping out tons of Centros in different colors and lowered the price on AT&T, and it makes me wonder if that person may not be too far off the mark. The Centro is getting more attention than the Treo for sure. And this may translate over into support.

I don't think Palm is purposely neglecting support for Treos... That wouldn't make any sense. What I was referring to was the fact that I don't think Palm according to their own recent statements regarding their future branding strategy see's a role for the ancient Palmos as a platform for the Treo line. As far as I understand, Treos will be enterprise focused with WM and Centros will be PalmOS and focused on consumers. I doubt Palm has any plans to ever release another PalmOS Treo. The often-hyped Nova platform will be a separate category and brand...

Well they have a Centro update available already, from what I've read. Treo updates seemed slow in coming, judging from what users said.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I went from the 700P to the centro, after testing a WM6 phone (returned)

Way too much data lost in the conversion from palm os to wm - like wm6, but not ready for that struggle

VERY happy with the Centro!
    RJuhl
    I went from the 700P to the Centro and love it. The battery life is really the only negative, but I can handle that. I use Chatter and am a pretty heavy Palm user. I just found out yesterday that I could listen to PTunes and do texting at the same time and got NO skipping. Now that's impressive. Internet is super fast. Get the Centro.
  14.    #14  
    Hmmmm....I just read all the 800w reviews today and now I'm even more uncertain. The 800w just seems sooo tempting but its going to be hard to leave all my PalmOS apps even with Styletap as an option...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    but its going to be hard to leave all my PalmOS apps even with Styletap as an option...
    aggreed. this is one of the HUGE reasons why i am still rolling with my treo 650. my phone doesnt really reset..i think its god. but its also outdated.

if this is somewhgat true, the only thing i could think o is that palm wants to get more of the teenage crowd. centro is the way they did it with such a cheap device.
    So adult and business customers no longer matter? Way to go Palm. RIM will be getting those customers, if that's the way they're thinking! I'm not sure it is, but I've seen many complaints about lack of proper Treo support. Not to mention barely any ads. I haven't seen one ad yet for the 800w, just postings on boards and sites like these.

But not so for the Centro! Ads plastered on quite a few sites!

So adult and business customers no longer matter? Way to go Palm. RIM will be getting those customers, if that's the way they're thinking! I'm not sure it is, but I've seen many complaints about lack of proper Treo support. Not to mention barely any ads. I haven't seen one ad yet for the 800w, just postings on boards and sites like these.

But not so for the Centro! Ads plastered on quite a few sites!
    not saying they dont matter. but, trey palm fans will know there is a 800. Not so true palm fans, teenagers who only seek the latest and greatest, wont know because they wopnt even bother looking at a phone for 200+ with new service. they look at the 60 bucks with new service...its all about marketing and targeting a certain audience.
    They need MORE than just die hard Treo fans though. How about gaining back those RIM customers? How about some love for the Treo on their part?

I wonder what it is worth to get a few hundred thousand teens hooked on Palm OS? A lot, I would think.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast