Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would it kill the guys at Palm or Treo or whoever is responsible to add a minuscule led for a flash or even a built in GPS? This is an all in one phone and the camera is USELESS indoors at night. How am I supposed to keep track of whose number I got the night before if I can't take their picture? How am I supposed to know if I should call that girl if I can't recall what she looked like? Seriously! My friends el cheapo phone has a bloody flash. Maybe I should just stop drinking And If I do go out in a new town, do I have to carry around my bluetooth gps module so I can find my way around when I'm roaming downtowns? COME ON PEOPLE!!!! Love my 700p but it's getting outdated very quickly
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    It's a digital image, what do you need a flash for? Flash was designed for use with film cameras to compensate for shutter speed and for fill in. In the digital environment, there is no need for it since software can correct certain parts of the image without overexposing the whole image.

Second, very few phones have GPS in them, off the top of my head I can think of only one. The rest just use Cell Identification, Enhanced Cell Identification, TDOA, TOA, AOA, E-OTD or other software based tricks (either in the phone or in the network). Everything you need for location is already in your phone.
    Camera flash, Adobe Flash... I'll take either one.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    GPS is working good on my 800w.
    To flash or Not to flash
    aha...and microwave with fridge...
    My Favorite store:
    ------------------
    Centro Cases
    Well, in todays modern world, I think the toilet should come to me, instead of me having to go to it.

Todays homes are so outdated.

what will you use to wipe its behind after it comes to you for a shiite?

whatever it may be, make sure you use only a single square per day - you know, the environment and all...
    Use your old Treo to wipe!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Radar View Post
    It's a digital image, what do you need a flash for? Flash was designed for use with film cameras to compensate for shutter speed and for fill in. In the digital environment, there is no need for it since software can correct certain parts of the image without overexposing the whole image.

Second, very few phones have GPS in them, off the top of my head I can think of only one. The rest just use Cell Identification, Enhanced Cell Identification, TDOA, TOA, AOA, E-OTD or other software based tricks (either in the phone or in the network). Everything you need for location is already in your phone.
    Uh, what? Please dont make things up.
    Digital cameras need flash for low light situations just like film cameras. In fact, for the same reasons, too. High speed film is usually noisy/grainy, using high sensitivity on your digicam results in noise/grain on the photo.

Standards were even developed for consistancy between film and digital.
    typical ISO sensitivities for digital correspond directly to ISO sensitivities available in film, and the results and effects are similar.
    The only difference is that on digital you can select the ISO sensitivity shot to shot, while film requires you to change the film.

and as far as GPS, treos do have GPS. the 800w and 850 both have GPS. My Mogal, which was replaced by the 800w, also had GPS...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

Moron...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    A flash for the camera on the Treos/Centros is a must in my opinion. For goodness sakes, numerous dumb feature camera-phones out there have flash, so why the hell can't Palm do the same? There's been soo many times I would have like to have taken a pic with my Treo indoors or something but I couldn't because there was no flash...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    That's why I got the curve it has 2mp camera with flash and you can have it stay on when you film too! Also gps with vzw is $10 a month. If the treo 800p is suppose to be game changing it better have 2-3mp cam with flash with wifi and gps come on its 2008 this should be the norm.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Goodbye Palm Hello Samsung Omnia.

The company totally ignored us & are so far behind at this point that
    no matter what they do I won't buy another.

Palm!
    We don’t need GPS since we already have it and puting it onboard will just kill the battery life.
    What people want is Adobie flash 6.0, a flash on the camera and Wi-fi.

The Train left the station Palm get a clue and just die already.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whaddya want for six hundred and fifty bucks?!? The camera isn't for actual use - it's just there to keep the security guys awake at secure corporate campuses.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    A flash for the camera on the Treos/Centros is a must in my opinion. For goodness sakes, numerous dumb feature camera-phones out there have flash, so why the hell can't Palm do the same? There's been soo many times I would have like to have taken a pic with my Treo indoors or something but I couldn't because there was no flash...
    Well, they finally take flash cards - even that took TRG/Handera to innovate for them.

It's amazing to look back at all the seemingly minor annoyances and oversights that Palm never felt important enough to us to fix, and to watch them slowly de-innovate with lowering battery life, musical chairs with flash formats, changing styli every model, changing connectors, etc.

I just bought another Palm app license today. But I'm actively looking around for another device that will give me a Treo - but with active manufacturer support, development AND innovation.

Spitting out the same hardware (with a bugfix or two) to us every couple years has fooled nobody except maybe their stockholders. When your biggest "innovation" is painting the case 2 different colors (and causing havoc with inventories) then you're pretty much braindead as a company.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The only thing Palm has going is the fact that the Treo's are one handed
    & applications can be program to launch using any key. As far as i know no other smart phone can do this so it does make the Treo’s somewhat unique however it’s not enough to buy one with all the innovation that’s on the market now.

Palm now needs all this just to catch up:

A 5MP camera with Carl Zeiss or Nikkor lens,
    Opera browser with flash 6,
    4 gigs of internal memory,
    Bring back the old SD card so we can use 32 GB,
    A connector that allows us to plug the thing into any monitor,
    The ability to use the device as an optical mouse,
    A flash for the camera
    & Wi-Fi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said most of this a year ago & Palm did not take one word of my advice. Somebody needs to pleas put me in charge of this stupid company.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 07/15/2008 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Goodbye Palm Hello Samsung Omnia.

The company totally ignored us & are so far behind at this point that
    no matter what they do I won't buy another.

Palm!
    We don’t need GPS since we already have it and puting it onboard will just kill the battery life.
    What people want is Adobie flash 6.0, a flash on the camera and Wi-fi.

The Train left the station Palm get a clue and just die already.
    Ehh....

Hope you got some cash though as you'll have to buy it unlocked from Euro-land.

The FCC docs show the U.S. bound version with
    • No wifi
    • No 3G
    • No GPS

Enjoy!

ps I found most of your suggestions silly for a smartphone, but perhaps others would like that stuff. But seriously...you want to use your phone as a mouse? Giant SD cards? Nikkor lens? You'll still have a tiny sensor, the lens won't do much good!

Although I do have to admit, Wifi is blazing fast on the 800w and the GPS is quite nice ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I don't care much about having GPS in my smartphone because it only seems useful to me when driving, in which case I am going to go buy a garmin or tom tom or whatever they have at Costco which is made for car driving GPS systems, not to mention the magellens integrate contacts and phone calls with the Treo smartphones now!

As far as flash, it would be nice, but a higher megapixel camera would be nice also. I like my Treo 680's design, but I want something more then VGA, which is why I might pick up a 750 even though it runs Windows Mobile. 2.0MP camera seems to be the standard. GPS i don't care, and same with WIFI. I just want something faster then EDGE. EvDO and UMTS/HSDPA is fast so WIFI isn't a big deal to me.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+

Please. Next time you think about talking about anything related to photography, don't. You're completely clueless. Photography is the capture of light. See the key word there? Light. You can't take a picture in the dark.

That said, the camera sucks and takes aweful pictures, a flash would just add a little light to the awful picture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast