Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    logmein,

It might be "innovative" for Palm to copy everyone else or try to bring back old designs but that doesn't mean it'd sell well.

HTC hasn't revisted the ppc-6600 design for years now for a reason. Even the Touch Duals don't sell too much (haven't heard HTC mention a Diamond Dual yet). Shoot, HTC made an interesting WM flip phone last year and that bombed too.

I'm actually quite smitten with the 6600's design and would love to a newer version from anyone, but the market has sort of spoken in the issue and it at least appears to be not a very popular design.

The only rage in innovative design in 2008 is Black Slab, stir in a ton of specs, add an iPhone-like UI (yet deny it's based on the iPhone) and try to sell.

I do hope Palm tries harder than that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm actually quite smitten with the 6600's design and would love to a newer version from anyone, but the market has sort of spoken in the issue and it at least appears to be not a very popular design.
    I used the XDA2S before. I found that the problem is the weight balance. When you hold in you hand and type for a while, it feels the device is heavy. Also you can use only hand to operate the device (the strength of Treo).
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    How about this?
    Love this design!

If they want to get slick, use the PTT button to trigger a smooth auto-open. The unit powers on and auto answers (if there is an incoming call) when opened. Once opened the PTT button functions as normal.

To top it off, once opened, have the option to rotate the screen 90 degrees to landscape.

That, with the new OS, would bring me back!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
  4.    #24  
    How about this?

Thats the same design we are talking about and the same one as the picture above.

I LOVE this design. My $.02 on the PPC-6600 is that it was heavy, thick and buggy. I think thats why it flopped as oppsed to the slider design.

I think if Palm can do this one (see pix as mentioned) and make it thin then Bada-Bing! winnah winnah chicken dinnah!

Just my thoughts.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    We will see. That's all you can say.
    You just hope to God that these new guys have a clue. The old dinosaurs at palm have been asleep in comas for the past several years.

I tend to think the 800w, with wifi and gps, was a product of Rubenstein's ideas, not of colligan's or any of the usual suspects.

Frankly, I think hawkins, colligan and dubinsky should all take backseats in the peanut gallery now to let the newer more capable major leaguers prove their mettle.
    Thats what Im saying... that they hopefully are going with the thought of brining in better people than they are. That they realize the market has surpassed their ideas and that they understand that they have lost their touch.
    There is no spoon.
  6.    #26  
    How about this?
    Only thing Id change to it is have the center button a track ball that also doubles as an enter key.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
    I would luv to see Palm & Google unite to make the future Treo. I mean Google has already created Android, which is Linux based and Palm is moving to Linux for the next OS. Why not use Palm's form factor as the main hardware for Android? I'm sure Palm & Google can come up with an even slicker design...any thoughts?
    Outside of search I've not cared for much else that google has launched.

But I've seen some "Palm like" devices running Android already... if any of those are launched, who knows...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    How about this?
    Yep... that's what I want.... With WinMo on it... :-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    lol windows immobile for the win
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    With WinMo on it... :-)
    Eww.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    logmein,

It might be "innovative" for Palm to copy everyone else or try to bring back old designs but that doesn't mean it'd sell well.

HTC hasn't revisted the ppc-6600 design for years now for a reason. Even the Touch Duals don't sell too much (haven't heard HTC mention a Diamond Dual yet). Shoot, HTC made an interesting WM flip phone last year and that bombed too.

I'm actually quite smitten with the 6600's design and would love to a newer version from anyone, but the market has sort of spoken in the issue and it at least appears to be not a very popular design. I know I'd want one.
    I'm guessing that the reason it flopped was because it was frakkin' boat. Just check out its specs:
    Weight 7.35 oz (208 g)
    Dimensions 4.9" x 2.75" x 0.74" (124 x 70 x 18.8 mm)

That's bigger and heavier than my old LifeDrive and with a smaller battery. I have no doubt that if Palm came out with a slider phone with a keyboard that was the same size as a Treo 680 or better yet, a Centro it would sell quite well.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Just lose the antenna stub, and I'm there.
    It never ceases to amaze me that people want to "change" the Treo into a Blackberry. And I'm sure people over at the BB forums want to "change" their devices to Treos... no... wait... that can't be right... BB users are stupid. (but very rich)

Then, there is another bunch that want to turn their Treos into HTC devices...

Yet another that want to turn their Treos into iPhone...

And still another... Android...

Am I the only person in this world who is satisfied with my Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Surely even you have a wish list?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    I'm guessing that the reason it flopped was because it was frakkin' boat. Just check out its specs:
    Weight 7.35 oz (208 g)

That's bigger and heavier than my old LifeDrive and with a smaller battery. I have no doubt that if Palm came out with a slider phone with a keyboard that was the same size as a Treo 680 or better yet, a Centro it would sell quite well.
    My point exactly.
    It never ceases to amaze me that people want to "change" the Treo into a Blackberry. And I'm sure people over at the BB forums want to "change" their devices to Treos... no... wait... that can't be right... BB users are stupid. (but very rich)

Yep. You are the only one out there.
    I think people want a Palm but are going bananas seeing slick UIs and hardware from competitors. Palm OS is like the old Mac OS, it was good because it was simple, but technologically limited and it drove people nuts.

That Apple managed to turn a corner despite all the hand wringing bodes well for Palm.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    logmein,

The only rage in innovative design in 2008 is Black Slab, stir in a ton of specs, add an iPhone-like UI (yet deny it's based on the iPhone) and try to sell.

I do hope Palm tries harder than that though.

If you look at the palm beta testing emails palm sent out, you'll find that palm THEMSELVES stated that the group would be testing innovative and cutting edge devices. The devices being tested would be the 800w. I assume they feel their gps / wifi additions are innovative and cutting edge. It looks to me as if they are copying or reinventing the wheel and calling it innovation as it is right now!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Weight 7.35 oz (208 g)

A couple of things...

First... Ditto on the above quote. I know Im not the only one to think this.

Next... see this link from Treonauts for an article on this exact subject (the thread topic):

http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/07/the-apple-sidek.html
    Last edited by Hdhntr23; 07/11/2008 at 09:43 AM.
    There is no spoon.

I don't want to change Treo into a Blackberry or into an iPhone. I want a Treo which combines the best of what Palm has offered in different devices into one device. I want a Treo with multiple gigs of storage, a decent file manager, and a drive mode which allows it to appear as a removable drive on its host computer like my LifeDrive. I want a Treo with a slider which allows it to remain compact while sporting a big screen like the Tungsten T3. I want a Treo with wifi like my TX. I want a Treo with a great keyboard and a good, solid suite of media applications like the Centro. Palm has had the bits and pieces of a truly great PDA/Smartphone floating around its product lineup for years but until it puts them all together in one device, it will continue to fall behind as Apple and RIM drink its milkshake.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast