Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've seen a number of posts here over the years complaining about the build quality, and how easy they break. Well, I have a different tale to tell.

Last Thursday I was in a motorcycle accident. A BDC (Brain-Dead Cager--what too many car drivers have become these days) ran a red light. I saw her at the last second, slammed on the brakes, and was lucky it was only a glancing blow, and I wasn't hurt. Nonetheless, the bike is totaled, with the front wheel, forks, and frame bent. That should give you some idea of the impact.

To the point of the story, though: I had my 700p mounted to a clamp on the handlebar. Not surprisingly, the clamp didn't hold against the forces of the accident. I found the battery cover about 6 feet from the bike, the phone about 3 feet further, and never found the battery. The corner of the antenna is ground down a fair bit, too.

After things got sorted out, I got the spare battery out of my brief case, put it in and put the back on. It powered up, and has been working perfectly ever since.

I have no complaints about the strength of this phone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Glad to hear you're OK.

Did the accident fix the Treo's BT issues?
    I'm glad you and your Treo al both okay.

But what about that scantily clad gal on the back of your motorcycle? I hope she's okay as well!
    I gave up bikes maybe 15 years ago... glad I did.

I'm glad you are ok... be sure to get checked out, just in case. Many years ago a guy got in an accident and thought he was ok... internal bleeding almost killed him. Not a bike accident though.

Only guy I've known to crash a bike was found maybe 25 to 30 yards from his bike after he and his girlfriend went through a barb wire fence. I still remember them passing the house... 20 minutes later they were dead...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Glad to hear you're OK.

Did the accident fix the Treo's BT issues?
    Thats just wrong. Funny but wrong.

meyerweb

Glad to hear your ok. People just dont realize how to keep an eye out for bikes and give them the room they need.
  6. UserOne
    Glad to hear your okay, meyerweb. I must admit the "BDC" syndrome is far too prevalent in my area and keeps me on 4 wheels most of the time . Hope the insurance pays out so you can get a new bike... sorry to hear about the total loss on it .

I pretty much baby my Treo, but its good to know it can take some abuse if it ever gets into that situation hehe.

L8R
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I have no complaints about the strength of this phone.
    First good to hear you are doing well.

Second, I don't have any complaints either. While I haven't "tested" mine in a auto accident, I have bumped it into things, dropped it on the pavement and chase after it while it bounced around, had water spill on it (from leaving it on the table at restaurants) and mine still works.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    I've chased mine across concrete several times as it shot out of its holster while I was getting into or out of a vehicle... It's got a few bruises but it works like the day I bought it.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I've chased mine across concrete several times as it shot out of its holster while I was getting into or out of a vehicle... It's got a few bruises but it works like the day I bought it.
    Heh, I'm sure we both looked equally foolish in the process. I equate it to how my dog looked when I tossed the super-bounce ball across the floor.

Mine had some bruises, but then I bought a new shell for it online and now it looks brand new!!

Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Mine had some bruises, but then I bought a new shell for it online and now it looks brand new!!
    Not a bad idea... I need a new screen, though, too as the day after I bought mine it took a dive out of the generic windshield holder I had for it and bounced off of my gearshift and put a small scratch on its screen... :-(

How much did your shell cost and how hard was it to swap?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    How much did your shell cost and how hard was it to swap?
    I don't recall individually off the cuff, but the digitizer and the shell (with a new keyboard, and included an antenna) total was around $50--including shipping from China. I purchased it off of Ebay.

I even managed to get a shell that has no carrier name on it (though one with Verizon would have been fine). On the left it says, "palmOne" and on the right it says, "Treo."

I can dig up the seller later if you want.

As far as ease, it was pretty easy, but I had an issue with screwing one of the screws in all the way. It seemed to interfere with the keyboard that side, so I left the damn thing out (I got tired of trying to figure out why). It isn't noticable and works very well with the other 6 screws in it. I am very pleased and people keep complimenting me on either my "new" phone or how well it looks after having had it so long (for people who know me a bit).

I even got the T5 torx screwdriver and a plastic piece to help pry my phone open (and my digitizer came with a stylus, which I had previously lost).

Did she stop? And did she get a citation? My friend was badly injured in a bike accident, and the guy ran away.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I find my phone to be super sturdy too. I put it through hell. I do keep a cover on it that has a waterproof shield over the screen and buttons, that keeps the worst of spilled drinks from sinking in.

If my Treo could talk...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did she stop? And did she get a citation? My friend was badly injured in a bike accident, and the guy ran away.
    My friend's brother t-boned a car that ran a stop sign in front of him while he had his girlfriend riding with him. She came through mostly unscathed but he lost several fingers. It could've been a lot worse...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

15.    #15  
    Thanks for the good wishes, all. I'm really fine. Not even any scratches on my riding gear. I managed to slow enough the it was a glancing blow from the side of her car, rather than a direct hit from the front.

And yes, she stopped. Even better, a county police officer was a couple of cars behind me in line, and witnessed the entire thing. Wrote her up for running the red. Her insurance company is paying off. But, of course, it won't be enough to replace what I had, which was in perfect mechanical condition.

C'est la vie. I'm test riding a new (to me) bike on Saturday.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm glad you're OK, and that she wasn't a hit and run. Your bike took the main hit it seems, which is actually a GOOD thing IMO. It's better that any vehicle be totalled rather than the human riding it. YOU cannot be replaced!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Bob, glad to hear you're ok.

Was your treo in any sort of case?

I keep mine in a Krusell Classic case in conjunction with a belt clip, a bikeholdic kit bike mount and a windshield mount in my car. The case has protected mine from many drops. The mounts have been wonderful.

Just curious to see if that might be what you are using.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    I don't recall individually off the cuff, but the digitizer and the shell (with a new keyboard, and included an antenna) total was around $50--including shipping from China. I purchased it off of Ebay.

I even managed to get a shell that has no carrier name on it (though one with Verizon would have been fine). On the left it says, "palmOne" and on the right it says, "Treo."

I can dig up the seller later if you want.

As far as ease, it was pretty easy, but I had an issue with screwing one of the screws in all the way. It seemed to interfere with the keyboard that side, so I left the damn thing out (I got tired of trying to figure out why). It isn't noticable and works very well with the other 6 screws in it. I am very pleased and people keep complimenting me on either my "new" phone or how well it looks after having had it so long (for people who know me a bit).

I even got the T5 torx screwdriver and a plastic piece to help pry my phone open (and my digitizer came with a stylus, which I had previously lost).
    Hi, new member here! My Treo650 has stopped responding to about 8 of the qwerty buttons. It works otherwise. Would I be able to fix it with either a new digitizer or shell? How easy is it to do??

I'm trying to hold out for a new Treo850, but the phone is barely usable as it is right now...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by scubafan View Post
    Hi, new member here! My Treo650 has stopped responding to about 8 of the qwerty buttons. It works otherwise. Would I be able to fix it with either a new digitizer or shell? How easy is it to do??

I'm trying to hold out for a new Treo850, but the phone is barely usable as it is right now...

Thanks!
    New Shell

Erm, maybe--and I do mean maybe. My keyboard worked just fine before its "operation" and for some strange reason after there was an issue with just one single screw. If you look at the back of your phone, it would be the one under the batter cover on the lower left. I didn't do a whole lot of messing with which keys were a problem, but I think it was somewhat of the effect of holding down your shift key and trying to operate the phone.

New digitizer

I can't think of ANY reason why a digitizer would affect only a number of keys. As long as your touch screen works fine, I would say this is not a worry for you.

What you might need is a new keyboard, particularly if you have never taken it apart. I say that as it would seem to be an internal problem and not a casing problem. From what you have mentioned, I think I might start with that.

Ease

Whew! This one is subjective really. I've been taking things apart since I was a wee-little tot, so I will always say it's easy to take apart. With that said, if you have taken things apart before and successfully put them together again I don't think this will be to terrible of a task to accomplish.

I believe the only tools you would need are the T5 torx and a jewlers kit with a phillips (for the keyboard). There are 7 screws to that hold the case together and all but one are the exact same size (the one holding the antenna--it's longer). The keyboard has two (phillips) and off the cuff I can't think of any others.

Hope that helps; if you have any other questions let me know.

After falling out of my hand and dropping to the ground a dozen times, including falling out of my hand hitting the roof I was working on and sliding off and dropping 8 feet onto the ground, the only thing that killed my old 650 was putting a pry bar I was using into the screen and cracking it severely.
    Technically the phone still worked but I couldn't read the screen.
    The plastic was cracked completely around the screen from dropping it all of those times but never effected the phone until I smashed the screen.

I hope my 700wx is that tough, and so far so good.

I'm pretty rough with my phones and I've gone through many flip phones while working. The Palm Treo is the TOUGHEST phone I've ever seen. And it's actually more exposed to damage because it hangs on my belt clip as I work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast