Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    just as the title states... I have an app I bought that has a few misspellings and some changes I would like to make to the app.. not functions.... just wording as the maker was foreign and did not get the grammar right.

is there an application that can take a .prc and make it editable so I can tweak what I want and then recompile into a .prc again?
    http://www.innot.de/presdec/

Doing a quick Google search for '.prc decompilier' may get you even more results.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    thats some ooooold stuff there (circa 2001).

yes, I could have Googled, but I figured some guru here would know of a much more recent and current product and recommend one if there were several to select from.
    eTard,

You can easily modify the strings that are contained within a PRC with an onboard resource editor. Here's what you will want to do:

- download Bird from ppcompiler.org
    - install it to your Palm
    - open Bird
    - find the application in the list and double click on it quickly to open its contents
    - you will be looking for TStr (string) resources
    - clicking on them once should let you see a preview of their contents
    - quickly double tapping on them should open them
    - make your edits, click ok
    - click ok to close out of the resource view of the PRC
    - close out of bird and check your modified PRC to see if the changes you made worked

Let me know if you need further help with this.
    Regards,
    bh

Tungsten E, CLIE TJ27, TX, CLIE TH55 E2, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by bh77a View Post
    eTard,

You can easily modify the strings that are contained within a PRC with an onboard resource editor. Here's what you will want to do:

- download Bird from ppcompiler.org
    - install it to your Palm
    - open Bird
    - find the application in the list and double click on it quickly to open its contents
    - you will be looking for TStr (string) resources
    - clicking on them once should let you see a preview of their contents
    - quickly double tapping on them should open them
    - make your edits, click ok
    - click ok to close out of the resource view of the PRC
    - close out of bird and check your modified PRC to see if the changes you made worked

Let me know if you need further help with this.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    thats some ooooold stuff there (circa 2001).

yes, I could have Googled, but I figured some guru here would know of a much more recent and current product and recommend one if there were several to select from.
    Looks like you got your 'guru'. I was just attempting to be helpful. I'm a WM user, myself. Ooo... Multi-tasking... ;-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Actually you can do an awful lot with the disassembler and a simple hex editor. As long as you can figure out how not to use more memory than originally allocated in the executable. Editing strings is a snap, just go in and change away, as long as you keep the same size of the string. And a 68000 assembly manual (or website detailing the 68K instruction set) allows you to modify, even write new routines, etc. PRCs are very easy to work with...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Actually you can do an awful lot with the disassembler and a simple hex editor. As long as you can figure out how not to use more memory than originally allocated in the executable. Editing strings is a snap, just go in and change away, as long as you keep the same size of the string. And a 68000 assembly manual (or website detailing the 68K instruction set) allows you to modify, even write new routines, etc. PRCs are very easy to work with...
    I was under the impression that it was only this easy for the old pre-OS5 apps. Aka, if the app is still in 68000 code, then it should be easy, but anything ARM-related in the code and you won't be able to touch it.
    I use the old app Button Launcher which allows each of your four hard buttons to bring up a list of apps. It has options for time intervals before it loads the happ you've selected: .5 sec, 1 sec, 2 secs and onward.

I used a hex editor to change the text of ".5" to ".1" which DOES show up in the new .prc, but it appears i only changed the text value, not the actual variable as it still takes .5 secs.

Can someone tell me how to edit the actual part that will make it load the app faster?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.