Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by haasfamily View Post
    Prepaid data on AT&T includes 3G and it works on any GSM phone that supports 3G including smartphones. SERO beats prepaid hands down for price when it comes to combining all 3 (voice, data, text) but it's good to know there's a choice for those who don't want to sign contracts or have ethical problems with how you sign-up for SERO. Both unlimited data and text are available on AT&T GoPhone for $20 per month but you have to pay a la carte. In other words, $20 for unlimited data and another $20 for unlimited text. Smaller packages of data and text are available for lower costs as well.
    AT&T has some very good pre-paid options now for sure! And the good thing is you only pay when you need to use something, and not monthly whether you use it or not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    In the US that you have no choice but to get a locked down carrier riddled and disabled phone. This happens in GSM too, but at least I can opt out and get a fully functioning phone. Plus it works overseas.

You also cannot switch phones when you want to without renewing a contract. Not so on GSM.
    Yes... But CDMA is a better technology. It is sad that the carriers suck but the tech does not. :-)

Also, you /can/ switch out a phone without renewing a contract but it is not nearly as easy. I would love SIM-like technology to come to CDMA.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    In the US that you have no choice but to get a locked down carrier riddled and disabled phone. This happens in GSM too, but at least I can opt out and get a fully functioning phone.

My treo 700wx on sprint is not "carrier riddled and disabled." Works just fine. Of course maybe some of their other phones have issues... I dunno.

Plus it works overseas.
    You can pickup a cdma phone/plan that allows for calling overseas. I never took that step since when I'm overseas I've been on vacation. No phone is always a plus. Although, I'd guess gsm is easier and a much better solution.

You also cannot switch phones when you want to without renewing a contract. Not so on GSM. [/COLOR]
    With cdma you can switch phones without renewing a contract! Are you talking of something other than verizon and sprint?

Maybe I'm a bit confused... I've had both services and never had an issue with using different phones with either. Of course, the card in the gsm makes the switch a heck of a lot easier, but with sprint or version you go to a website and it takes two or three minutes to switch your phone. With verizon or sprint your data does not automatically migrate over... you have to sync with a computer (at least in the past.... now I think they have some over-the-air sync capabilities).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Sprint wanted me to renew every time I changed phones. Something changed?

Unless maybe if you get the phone on eBay or something? Then since you didn't get it through them, maybe they can't make you renew? HOWEVER, then you must make sure the phone is either new or has a clean ESN.

In the US, they don't blacklist GSM IMEIs, so even if someone didn't pay their bill on a used GSM phone, any new SIM will work since the account is actually attached to the SIM and not the phone. However in Europe I understand they WILL blacklist your IMEI on GSM, especially if the phone is reported stolen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've switched phones several times, sprint always activates it with a simple phone call. They can always ask if you want to renew your contract / get a rebate, etc - but if you want to pay full price for the phone (or get it elsewhere - I bought my 650 direct from Palm, for example) I don't see why there would be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoompooky View Post
    I've switched phones several times, sprint always activates it with a simple phone call. They can always ask if you want to renew your contract / get a rebate, etc - but if you want to pay full price for the phone (or get it elsewhere - I bought my 650 direct from Palm, for example) I don't see why there would be an issue.
    I think the point is that CDMA carriers and technology are anti-competitive whereas GSM was setup as an open standard from the start. The fact remains that your Sprint Treo 650 is still a brick if you decide you want to switch to another CDMA carrier such as Verizon (I know, I know, you can always sell your Sprint phone on eBay but that's not the point). To this day there is still no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone that you can take from carrier to carrier. While they (Sprint, Verizon) talk about open access and being able to take a CDMA phone from one carrier to the next someday, I'll believe it when I see it. Many will argue that CDMA is the superior technology, but I argue that CDMA is the main reason we settle for carriers sucking us dry in North America. I honestly wish CDMA would just go away so we would be left with one worldwide standard (GSM) that is open to competition and puts the consumer in charge. I know this is a pipe dream and the CDMA lovers out there will hate me for saying this but I think anyone who patronizes a closed, anti-competitive standard such as CDMA (not matter how technologically superior you may think it is) is just feeding the animal that sucks consumers dry.
    Actually CDMA phones were unlocked at one time. I remember. But what happened was carriers used the excuse of phone theft to lock down phones. It was really easy to steal a phone and get it turned on somewhere else. However the locking down obviously benefits the carriers more than consumers, since it has already been proven that all they really needed to do was ban stolen ESNs and NOT lock down phones!!

Even GSM has been locked down and features blocked by carriers. What would actually be ideal is to push unlocked unbranded phone sales as more of a standard, rather than carrier backed phones. Phones clean from the factory are free of restrictions. But most US people expect free or low cost cellular phones, so this is what we get. In exchange for that low cost phone, carriers block features and restrict how you can use your own phone! Smartphones sometimes have a bit less restrictions but there are still hot wired browsers, blocked ports, etc. on carrier branded smartphones.

You might be interested in this article which has a UK perspective. If you look at Centro, only the AT&T version has push to talk, it's not available on the unlocked model and there are differences on which carriers get the new Google Maps app. It's the carriers and their love for ARPU.
  9. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    ...I believe what is most annoying to customers is not knowing what new charges the carriers will come up with next and those "billing errors" that they hope that you'll overlook - oddly enough, every billing error is ALWAYS in favor of the carrier.
    Cheers

Charles
    I average $150/mo with Verizon for a 1400m family plan (3 phones), plus a 650 "data" plan and $10 "text" plan for my daughter. I still get nickeled and dimed $5-$10 each month for "texting." Are there "data" plans that include "text?"
    Used to be some good reasons to go with sprint such as sero. Instead, they jacked up their prices. Sprint has managed to make their data card plans crap as well with no more unlimited..it's now 5gb per month.

Big surprise since Sprint is losing customers so fast, has bad customer service, and must sign up new ones. Maybe for an encore, they'll stop offering smartphones.
    It is amazing how the telco's managed to sell us each phone service for at least $30 or so a month. Land lines only has one charge unless you signed up for two or more lines (max of 4 unless you have more physical copper lines) to your home.

Wireless telco's generates additional revenue by selling a cell phone for each member of your family at a higher charge than what land lines cost nowadays. Plus the additional charges on extras like text, music on hold, ringtones, data plans (and premium data plans), etc.

And billing errors or features you did not order but your handset allows you to use them ... opps, that is billable, please pay an extra fee unless you want a monthly subscription fee. Wow, they have got the consumers paying up to the max.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    a few thoughts:

-prices in a capitalist society- of just about anything have NOTHING to do with that the cost of the item is to the business. its all about what level will maximize revenue for the business

-centro having one data price while treos have another- ever road a plane before? there's maybe 100 coach seats and probably 10 or 20 different prices people paid. the folks in business class pay more too. treo is business class while centro is aimed at folks who wouldn't buy a smartphone normally cause it costs to much.

-complaining about sprints prices? they are on their way to bankruptcy so they have no choice but to raise prices. all the people with the cheapi sero plans are killing then.

text is not data (if data is ip based internet stuff). sms actually is a trick where they stuff small packets of data in control parts of the voice network. now could they market text as data - sure could. but see above that pricing is about maximizing revenue.

cdma vs gsm. give it about 4-6 years. everyone is converging on LTE for 4G which I believe is technology based on cdma but with an open system like gsm. (seams cdma is better or easier for carriers to do fast- that's why sprint and vzw are evdo rev a just about everywhere while gsm us carriers are still working on 3g)

want unlocked phones? then expect to pay out the ying yang. we, the gadget freaks probably wouldn't mind but seems john q public finds the thought of an unsubsidized phone evil.

sprint is henoraging cash, and the vast majority of the population has wireless data coverage equal to dsl. I don't think there's insane pricing going on at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    It is amazing how the telco's managed to sell us each phone service for at least $30 or so a month. Land lines only has one charge unless you signed up for two or more lines (max of 4 unless you have more physical copper lines) to your home.

Wireless telco's generates additional revenue by selling a cell phone for each member of your family at a higher charge than what land lines cost nowadays. Plus the additional charges on extras like text, music on hold, ringtones, data plans (and premium data plans), etc.

And billing errors or features you did not order but your handset allows you to use them ... opps, that is billable, please pay an extra fee unless you want a monthly subscription fee. Wow, they have got the consumers paying up to the max.

In NC, I know you can get a house phone for around 12 to 13 dollars a month if you pay 50 to 80 one-time fee. The fee is to get everything taken off the phone (no long distance, call waiting, etc). When I needed a house phone that is what I would do... large one-time fee but paid for itself within a short period of time.

I don't mind the cell providers or telcos... they do provide great service most of the time. People who want this stuff for free should build their own network and give it away. ROFL!!!!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    a few thoughts:

want unlocked phones? then expect to pay out the ying yang. we, the gadget freaks probably wouldn't mind but seems john q public finds the thought of an unsubsidized phone evil.
    That's because the general US public does not know how restricted carrier locked phones are. If they experienced the freedom of factory software/firmware and find they actually can control their own phone functions, not what the carriers dictate(such as non-restricted bluetooth for one), they may change their minds.

BTW, there are unlocked phones for less than $200 up to $300 if you don't demand a top of the line smartphone, which much of the US public does not. But even the Centro is being sold for $300 unlocked through Palm. Not a bad price to actually own your own smartphone without carrier restrictions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12