1.    #1  
    Ok, 1st off please no flame wars. It is not my intent to start any battles with "this phone is better then this phone". So please give me specs and hard data. Some moddest opinions are welcome, but leave the torchs and pitch forks at the door. Thank you.

Now that thats out of the way, I made a post about looking for a new phone since I have the Sprint Treo 650 for well over 3 years now. So I was looking at the HTC Touch, but then I started to read about the 800w and then I saw the 850.

I know that any info that we have on these phone is mostly leaked and is "not" the final product, but what are the differences? What does 1 have over the other?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Both phones are expected to be very similar. Palminfocenter a good rundown on the 800w's expected specs. Less is known about the 850 but it will likely be pretty similar except that it will be smaller, sleeker, cooler looking, and available in GSM while the 800w will be a CDMA phone. In other words, if you live in the US and have Sprint or Verizon, you'll be able to buy the 800w but if you use AT&T or T-Mobile, you'll be able to buy the 850.
    Just wondering why Palm is making two different form factors instead of one.
    Europeans view many US handsets as clunky and not stylish.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Just wondering why Palm is making two different form factors instead of one.
    Two different projects and build cycles.

IIRC, the 800w was supposed to be out Q3/Q4 of last year (and even that was pretty late for the 700wx). Here it is now coming out nearly 9 months later, unchanged in many ways. It seems obvious Palm ran into trouble with the device, probably during the shakeup up when Elevation got involved.

Smartphones take about 12-18 months from conception to FCC/carrrier testing to release.

Why not change the form factor now to match the 850? Not really sure, but part of hit probably has to do with FCC regulations (you can't change the device once testing is started, otherwise you have to resubmit/refile).

To the OP: spec wise, the 800w and 850 will be nearly identical.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Smartphones take about 12-18 months from conception to FCC/carrrier testing to release.
    If based on your mentioned above, it means that EP can deliver the new device less than 12 months. (The EP transaction completed in September 2007.) If this is the case, we may see few more devices in next year.