1.    #1  
    Is there a way to use a Treo to connect to a dial up modem such as a USR modem that is on an analog phone line at home connected to a serial port on a computer?
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    YIKES!

What are you doing? Trying to see how SLOW you can make the internet work on that thing? LOL!

Even 1x on our phones are many times faster than dial up.

Don;t you have a data plan on the phone? I'm sure you do, seeing that you have been loyal to the Treo.
  3.    #3  
    I'm not trying to connect to the "internet". I guess that's the only use for a modem anymore. Contrary to popular belief, there still are modems to connect to for other equipment monitoring purposes than connecting to the "internet".

I had a Nokia cell phone that had a real modem built into it that I could use to connect to a real dial up modem at 9600 baud (limited on the Nokia side) . I could then see what was going on on a computer that was running UNIX / getty on the port connected to the modem.

Is that type of thing possible with a Treo? I presume not.

Is there anyone on here old enough to remember how things were done before the "internet"??? In the 70's and up to the "internet" timeframe we had dial up modems and computers running "bulletin board" software.
    Last edited by fulltlt; 06/06/2008 at 06:01 AM.
    Sprint
    Yes, this old geezer remembers... when the alzheimers isn't kicking in.

There are many devices that use old dial-up modems to report status or be controlled via other computers. Some also have Internet service (DSL,Cable,Fios,whatever) as an alternative, but rely on the dial-up for back-up. Others do not have internet access on purpose, so hackers can't sniff the IP address and destroy what the equipment is meant for. Hackers would have to know the actual phone number of the dial-up line, and also have the password to get in.

While we use the internet to upload audio files to unmanned sites, some for a while had no high-speed internet available and needed modems. We still use the modems for back-up when the local I'net connection is down. We also still need a real modem connection to actually control what those sites do with the audio. If we want to vary from the existing schedule in the computer, or force specific audio to play now... we need that modem.

Unfortunanely, I do not know if dial-up can still be connected to with a treo/centro by dialing a modem's phone number. For a while I thought people were still able to do it... can anyone help this person out?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    > Is there a way to use a Treo to connect to a dial up modem such as a USR modem that is on an analog phone line at home connected to a serial port on a computer?

It looks like you're on Sprint... if so... *some* Sprint phones are still capable of acting like an analog modem and dialing out to another analog modem. The service you'd be using is the old 2G modem emulation service. I don't know if your Treo can, but you can simply try it. Just use HyperTerm or similar, and connect to the emulated COM port and start typing Hayes AT modem commands (like ATDT######## to dial, etc).

If you get it to work, here's another rub: Sprint will charge you $0.39/min to use it. It doesn't matter whether you have a data plan or not. It will be charged $0.39/min and be call "Casual Wireless Web" minutes. Also it will be limited to 14.4kbs in speed.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    > Is there a way to use a Treo to connect to a dial up modem such as a USR modem that is on an analog phone line at home connected to a serial port on a computer?

It looks like you're on Sprint... if so... *some* Sprint phones are still capable of acting like an analog modem and dialing out to another analog modem. The service you'd be using is the old 2G modem emulation service. I don't know if your Treo can, but you can simply try it. Just use HyperTerm or similar, and connect to the emulated COM port and start typing Hayes AT modem commands (like ATDT######## to dial, etc).

If you get it to work, here's another rub: Sprint will charge you $0.39/min to use it. It doesn't matter whether you have a data plan or not. It will be charged $0.39/min and be call "Casual Wireless Web" minutes. Also it will be limited to 14.4kbs in speed.

I have a Treo 700p. I have not seen a HyperTerm app on it. Is Hyperterm available for the Treo 700P from somewhere. What would be the "something similar" to try?
    Sprint
  7. Tec
    For a Hyperterminal-ish app, try CS Online. Modem dialup is what it's used for extensively, and there's a free trial.

It's worth noting that, as far as we know, Centro's dialup appears to be broken. They just plain won't dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    I'm not trying to connect to the "internet". I guess that's the only use for a modem anymore. Contrary to popular belief, there still are modems to connect to for other equipment monitoring purposes than connecting to the "internet".

I had a Nokia cell phone that had a real modem built into it that I could use to connect to a real dial up modem at 9600 baud (limited on the Nokia side) . I could then see what was going on on a computer that was running UNIX / getty on the port connected to the modem.

Is that type of thing possible with a Treo? I presume not.

Is there anyone on here old enough to remember how things were done before the "internet"??? In the 70's and up to the "internet" timeframe we had dial up modems and computers running "bulletin board" software.
    wow, i was born in '84 and haven't a clue what you're talking about. good luck with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    Is there a way to use a Treo to connect to a dial up modem such as a USR modem that is on an analog phone line at home connected to a serial port on a computer?
    Good God, are you stuck in 1993??