Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am thinking about getting the new Samsung Instinct when it comes out, but the more I think about it I realize that it may be to much trouble to divorce the Treo.
    Why? Because of all the info in several programs. E.G. Memo, contacts, address, splash ID, voice record... to mention a few. Does anyone know of a way to make the divorce less painfull?
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    Transfer to Outlook and from there you can go to anything.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Am I married to the Treo? No, but strongly involved.

If I find another phone that offers me more functionaly that matters to me, with something approaching the ease of use the POS, I'll seriously consider it. But right now, the Palm OS Treo is the phone to beat for my needs.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

If I find another phone that offers me more functionaly that matters to me, with something approaching the ease of use the POS, I'll seriously consider it. But right now, the Palm OS Treo is the phone to beat for my needs.
    Same here. My wife has Verizon's XV6800 and it really hasn't motivated me to move from my 650 (except that it has WiFi). Past that, the Palm OS is more than suitable for me.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    SplashID Desktop will let you export its database as comma-separated values in a plain text file (.CSV). From there, you can probably finagle the data into anything you want. If you have used any exotic characters, just watch out they don't turn to something else during export/import.

The voice recordings are in Qualcomm's .QCP format, I expect. There are tools around for turning that into .WAV or .MP3 once you have got your hands on the files.

If this sounds like too much trouble, then the thing for Samsung may be mere infatuation. I heard you have to carry a car battery to actually use the Instinct's onboard lightsaber.
    My wife says so.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    yes, very!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    My 700P is around two years old, and I've been thinking about moving on. There are some really nice prices available for Blackberry.

I figure I'd have to spend (on top of the phone) around $200 in software, plus all the time and energy to migrate apps. Then I say... for what? I'd like to have GPS on the phone. Other than that, my old 700P is doing everything I need it to do.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    No, but it is my mistress.
    Palm PDA/Treo attached at the hip for 10 plus years now.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/03/2008 at 07:59 PM.
    Moving to a new phone would be terribly painful. I must have over 200 contacts. Several hundred dollars of software. $120.00 headset that only works on the Treo. And I have spent hundreds of hours learning the OS.
  12.    #12  
    I only sprint used the chip where you could transfer from phone to phone. if Sprint did then I could make the Instinct my mistress after business hours & the weekends.
    Does anyone go too the Sprint site and switch from phone to phone, or is having a mistress too much trouble?
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
  13. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

Just chiming in with my .02 cents here... I would have to echo the above quote.

I've been a long-time Palm OS user, but when my Treo 650's keyboard starting showing it's age, I seriously considered other devices (like HTC's Touch, BB's & others). I ended up with a Treo 755p because it was still the most functional device for my needs.

Makad, I am currently on Sprint... but only have the one device. So, sorry I cannot offer an advice on having a "mistress" there.

L8R,
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I'm not married to my 755. Meaning, if I found a device that would do the same things, in a better form factor, I'd be gone.

However, I realize there are some comparisons that could be made for many of us. 1) Some are very attached to their Treo. Losing it, or having it harmed in any way causes great pain. 2) Some would never even consider looking at another device. While others look with guilty pleasure at newer, sleaker devices. Still others jump from device to device while inevitably returning to their Treo. 3) Some are as gentle as can be with their device. While some are more agressive, even abusive at times. 4) Sometimes their Treo makes them mad because it isn't doing what they want it to do, or maybe just not fast enough. Some might curse at their device for this, call it bad names, and be-little it in public. But let an outsider point out a flaw, and they jump to their device's defense. 5) Some are into augmenting their device with nice clothing, and larger memory capacity. Finally, we all try to fix what we perceive as faults in our device. Sometimes this works, and other times it just causes the device to stop functioning for us at all..

As for the Instinct, I have to admit that at first glance I was tempted. But upon further review there are just too many short comings. The first thing to remember is that the Instinct is NOT a PDA. At this point in time, from what I've read, you cannot sync the calendar. NO WIFI. Testers have indicated that the video viewing is at best choppy. There is no physical keyboard, no to do list, no voice memo, no loadable external apps.
    Last edited by fwinst; 06/13/2008 at 09:22 AM.
    No.. but I am living in sin.
    In my state polygamy is outlawed but if it wasnt I would marry it. (700P)
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I really do love my Treos. In my business, I run several models for various carriers across the country. For the most part, I stick with the Palm OS because it is very easy to support with users on the road and there is enough software out there to allow users to "make them unique".

While it is never really discussed here, I think GoodLink is a fantastic business e-mail product and it provides consistent and reliable real-time access for my users.

My only gripe right now is AT&T abandoning the 680. Many of my older users find the Centro too small to read/type, but MS Windows is too intrusive/cumbersome for their needs for an e-mail device. You can not drive a GoodLink device with MS Windows with one hand. You can on a Palm OS device.

What will be interesting is the new iPhone. If there is a GoodLink and/or Blackberry client released for iPhone 2.0, that will open the flood gates for professional organizations (like mine) whose users want the cool phone.

Not all will jump ship, but enough users in corporations around the country will shift to the Apple device and impact Palm's bottom-line.

Palm has got to get a new, professional non-Windows device near the sales counter soon.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    You may feel you are married to it because you have not yet fielded other options. As you can read, others have jumped back and forth, some times you will realize PalmOS is just what you need and other times you will realize how misguided your affections were and move on to other experiences.

From my own jump (700p to an HTC Kaiser/Tilt), I can tell you I did not know what I was missing until I made the jump. WM may look daunting and indeed it is, but is also extremely powerful. Having WiFi may seem to be for many an unnecessary tech, but for me it has been a huge deal. Bluetooth stack in WM just works, plain and simple. Many other details make me realize the Treo was a good run, but it had to end.

For your case, you have to try it. You may not like it and it is OK to go back; and if you like it it's OK to get rid of the PalmOS device. Your Treo is just a piece of silicon and plastic and it does not have feelings.

P.S. The way to minimize the pain in transitioning is indeed using Outlook for all PIM data. That's the common denominator everywhere.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I must be married to mine; it goes from room to room with me.
  20.    #20  
    I went in to check on the Instinct. they want me to pay $375.00 plus switch to the everything plan, giving up the great plan I have now for 3 phones... Conclusion, I am married & its cheaper to keep her.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast