Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    What I want to know is if the new Palm OS will be able to run the old Garnet Apps. Since they stated the Garnet OS will be continued to be used in low end devices will there be any further development of that as well as the new OS?

The Android OS looks pretty refined in those videos and kinda reminds me peronally of what the New Palm OS should look and operate like.

If the new software willl not run the old apps, then I have no reason to stay. . . .I will move to the iPhone II with StyleTap running my Palm library in emulation.

I came from the PDA side of things. I hated to give up my T3 screen, but the lure of an all in one device (the Treo 650) was too great. The Centro and the supposed size of the 800w has a proven market . . . but I want my big screen back and cannot see going down to the Centro size screen.

Cheers, Perry.
    I differ on one key point Perry - I agree it MUST run Palm OS apps, but I couldn't go to the Iphone, due to the lack of a real keyboard! Gotta have a real keyboard. Now, if Iphone came out with a non-virtual keypad on Iphone3......
    One concern I have is regarding the 'web applications'. Sure their big on the iPhone and all, and certainly gaining popularity for desktops but I don't always have cell coverage on my phone and I would hate to think that for me to check some data in an application would require me to have a active web connection going. Not only does it increase your dependance on others (hosting and keeping your data) it also doesn't exactly help battery life.

There, I feel better now that I said something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Nova needs to work more than it needs to be shiny.
    Yes, we do disagree on that... it needs to have both...

"Shiny" in terms of both the OS and the devices considering nova is suppose to hit the the "prosumer" market. If they come out with an OS that looks and acts like the current palm os, I seriously doubt if it will be well received... unless they go extremely cheap and bring in profits like the centros... that won't go over well.

It needs to be "shiny" and have excellent function for new people. Even more so if google's devices somehow capture of the essence of what palm used to be.... Not to mention the rise of the silver surfer... ummm, I meant, the Windows OS.

At this point, I don't care about the iphone debate... it is over... the hype is going to die down... the apple fans can only take that phone but so far. Trapped in att, it has little use to me.

Far as palm OS applications... I don't care about that either (I never could purchase many of them anyway, because they would lockup my palm os devices... crapola)... I want new developers to develop new programs that rock! I don't want the same old 1997 application that was never updated to work on a new OS and new phone. Developers might get lazy.
    Last edited by theog; 06/02/2008 at 07:35 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    I differ on one key point Perry - I agree it MUST run Palm OS apps, but I couldn't go to the Iphone, due to the lack of a real keyboard! Gotta have a real keyboard. Now, if Iphone came out with a non-virtual keypad on Iphone3......
    I hear you Andrew. Every device is a compromise on features. Large screen or a real keyboard, or some sort of slider to accomodate both. . . . . ??

For me . . . if forced to chose between large screen vs. hardware keyboard . . .I will go for the larger screen. Everyone has their poison.

The other thing is Palm's Memos and notes function within contact. Lord. . . I have hundreds over 10 years . . . this is another critical part of the path to another device. . . . will they move or won't they? And if so, with how much pain?

Arrgh.

Where is my 900p !!
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/02/2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I will go for the larger screen.

The other thing is Palm's Memos and notes function within a contacts. Lord. . . I have hundreds over 10 years . . . this is another critical part of the path to another device. . . . will they move or won't they? And if so, with how much pain?
    Hey Perry,
    I'm with you on the screen and definitely will feel your pain on the memo, notes within contacts.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Nova needs to work more than it needs to be shiny.
    Yes, we do disagree on that... it needs to have both...
    But which do you rate higher? In general with projects if you set multiple equally important goals, you risk failing on all. "On time, to budget, to specification - pick two".

My contention is that the potential marketplace for Nova products is more...thoughtful, shall we say, than the general mass of Smartphone buyers, and so failings in functionality are more likely to put them off then those of a more "marketing" nature.

Would Palm get away with not having cut and paste, or one-handed operation?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    If the new software willl not run the old apps, then I have no reason to stay. . . .I will move to the iPhone II with StyleTap running my Palm library in emulation.

I came from the PDA side of things. I hated to give up my T3 screen, but the lure of an all in one device (the Treo 650) was too great. The Centro and the supposed size of the 800w has a proven market . . . but I want my big screen back and cannot see going down to the Centro size screen.

Cheers, Perry.
    For me . . . if forced to chose between large screen vs. hardware keyboard . . .I will go for the larger screen. Everyone has their poison.

The other thing is Palm's Memos and notes function within contact. Lord. . . I have hundreds over 10 years . . . this is another critical part of the path to another device. . . . will they move or won't they? And if so, with how much pain?
    I agree 100%, and will follow suit. The Palm OS is why I stay with Palm, because I've been using it and amassing Palm OS "stuff" since the mid-90's. If it goes (or is offered only on inferior models), I go.
    But which do you rate higher? In general with projects if you set multiple equally important goals, you risk failing on all. "On time, to budget, to specification - pick two".
    That is not taken into consideration... that is more of a side argument... a what if scenario.

My contention is that the potential marketplace for Nova products is more...thoughtful, shall we say, than the general mass of Smartphone buyers, and so failings in functionality are more likely to put them off then those of a more "marketing" nature.
    I agree... that is why I said palm needs both.... your are 100% right... but it also needs a bit of flash to also attract those buyers... palm could hide the "flash" (what you call "shiny") aspect of the OS, if it wanted.

Would Palm get away with not having cut and paste, or one-handed operation?
    Don't know... personally, I'd want cut-n-paste. I use cut-n-paste all the time... although, one-handed operation with my treo 700wx is beneficial as well.

You have me there... I really don't know. If pressed, I'd have to say I need "both" or I might as well consider another device.

I'm basing my thoughts on nova being a "prosumer" device and windows being the enterprise device.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I switched over to outlook many years ago... back then I was in your boat.

For some reason, I don't remember it being that difficult to convert over to outlook. Matter of fact, after using outlook I'd never go back to anything else.

About the only thing I missed was the way you would "secure" some info on the desktop application. In outlook you can't do that. Although, MS makes an argument that each person on your desktop should have their own login.

An acceptable argument nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I switched over to outlook many years ago... back then I was in your boat.

For some reason, I don't remember it being that difficult to convert over to outlook. Matter of fact, after using outlook I'd never go back to anything else.

About the only thing I missed was the way you would "secure" some info on the desktop application. In outlook you can't do that. Although, MS makes an argument that each person on your desktop should have their own login.

An acceptable argument nowadays.
    As I understand it . . . the notes attached to contacts in the Palm OS and Desktop do not transfer into Outlook . . . . I could create individual MSWord docs for the Memos . . . .

If someone has a work around . . .please do tell. . . . .
    When I migrate my data to outlook, I export first to a .csv file. Open it in Access database & make sure the notes are in a memo kind of field, not just a text field. Otherwise the notes field will be chopped off. After my .csv file is in order, I open outlook & import the .csv file & mapped the fields into an appropriate outlook field. Hope this helps.
    styleTap emulator can run many Palm software on WinCE .. but not Palm OS
    some hack/DA even chinese OS system still not ne use ..

I will waiting for new Treo Palm Phone
    I hope 3/3.5G + wifi + autofocus camera can be build in new Palm pda phone
    , I don't like centro

no wi , no 3G poor camera function

..I still use treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    When I migrate my data to outlook, I export first to a .csv file. Open it in Access database & make sure the notes are in a memo kind of field, not just a text field. Otherwise the notes field will be chopped off. After my .csv file is in order, I open outlook & import the .csv file & mapped the fields into an appropriate outlook field. Hope this helps.
    Thanks pdaneophyte. Your knowledge suggests you need a new name on the forum. Sounds like a plan. I have never done any of those exports, imports or worked with Access. . . so this just could be a whole new adventure!

Cheers. Perry.
    As I understand it . . . the notes attached to contacts in the Palm OS and Desktop do not transfer into Outlook . . . . I could create individual MSWord docs for the Memos . . . .

If someone has a work around . . .please do tell. . . . .
    Perry, when you posted earlier in this thread I thought you were concern about a new device not handling the notes attached to your contacts and I didn't realize you were worry about Outlook.

I can confirm that Outlook 2003 and 2007 will accept notes attached to your contacts as well as all of your memos which in Outlook, which are callled Notes.

I converted to Outlook 2003 from Palm Desktop over a year ago. The way I did was to insert the Palm CD into my laptop and change the sync choice. Then I synced with Outlook so all of my data transferred from the Treo to Outlook.

Several months later I had to install Pocket Mirror conduits to assist in the syncing because I had to do a hard reset which screwed the syncing up.

And I agree with the poster above, I am so sorry I didn't switch to Outlook sooner.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Perry, when you posted earlier in this thread I thought you were concern about a new device not handling the notes attached to your contacts and I didn't realize you were worry about Outlook.

I can confirm that Outlook 2003 and 2007 will accept notes attached to your contacts as well as all of your memos which in Outlook, which are callled Notes.

I converted to Outlook 2003 from Palm Desktop over a year ago. The way I did was to insert the Palm CD into my laptop and change the sync choice. Then I synced with Outlook so all of my data transferred from the Treo to Outlook.

Several months later I had to install Pocket Mirror conduits to assist in the syncing because I had to do a hard reset which screwed the syncing up.

And I agree with the poster above, I am so sorry I didn't switch to Outlook sooner.

Good Luck
    Thanks Turbo, this sounds much easier.

Did you set Handheld to overwrite desktop on the conduits when you did the first sync with Outlook?

Hmmm. . . .this former geek that used to live on the bleeding edge . . . currently has Outlook 2000 SR-1 installed on his trusty Dell 4 year old home PC tower. . . . . .

Sounds like Outlook 2003 is a minimum for this transfer to work well?

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/04/2008 at 09:08 AM.
    Did you set Handheld to overwrite desktop on the conduits when you did the first sync with Outlook?
    Cheers, Perry
    Well, I was hoping you weren't gonna ask me this because I don't remember. "Syncer Beware" - Backup you files to SD card first and if screws up and can restore.

Perhaps someone else can chime in if they know.

Good Luck Perry.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Well, I was hoping you weren't gonna ask me this because I don't remember. "Syncer Beware" - Backup you files to SD card first and if screws up and can restore.

Good Luck Perry.

Yup.

Ounce of pervention (or disaster planning) is worth a pound of cure.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I've been syncing to outlook going back to the Visor Pro in the '90s. I don't remember ever having a problem with with notes, memos, or anything else.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    When I did my recent conversion to WM, I just reinstalled the Palm desktop, told it to use Outlook, synced, plugged in the new device, synced, done.

There were some treo-specific fields that didn't map perfectly, but no major work done to get things normal again.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast