Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Call me crazy but if you read the last couple paragraphs of APC's interview with Ed Colligan he pretty much spells out that Centro is the low end device that will continue with Garnet, 'Nova' 'Palm OS 2.0' (or whatever you want to call it) when it comes out in 09 will be for a line of 'prosumer' devices and the enterprise line Treo will run Windows. Does this mean there will be features and capabilities of the Treo line that will not be available on the line of devices featuring the new POS in 09?

Take a look for yourself:

http://apcmag.com/palm_readies_nextgen_web_20_os.htm

“Centro is our consumer line of products, the start of a product line to hit that demographic and price point” Colligan says. “Centro will be strictly Palm OS”.

At the same time, Palm will continue to promote the Treo line of Windows Mobile smartphones to business customers. “Microsoft is the de facto standard in corporate email, and I think they should be the de facto standard in mobile email. If you have an Exchange server today you can already get mobile push email without installing a single other piece of third-party equipment, so it’s pretty easy to deploy. I don’t believe we could ever create a position in the business community that competes with Microsoft, it just wouldn’t make any sense.”

That ‘next generation’ Palm OS will slot in between the Centro and Treo lines under a new ‘prosumer’ brand that’s yet to be decided, Colligan explains. “We’re going to continue to look at those three line areas – consumer, prosumer and enterprise. Treo is today more of our mainstream prosumer product which is extended into the enterprise, but over time you’ll see some branding work done on the top two to make sure they’re really well delineated.”
    It does make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    That ‘next generation’ Palm OS will slot in between the Centro and Treo lines under a new ‘prosumer’ brand that’s yet to be decided, Colligan explains. “We’re going to continue to look at those three line areas – consumer, prosumer and enterprise. Treo is today more of our mainstream prosumer product which is extended into the enterprise, but over time you’ll see some branding work done on the top two to make sure they’re really well delineated.”
    Ok. The way I want to interpret this is 3 tiers:

Centro - OS1, entry-level pricing, get the kids hooked early.

Treo - WinMo optimized to be highly efficient. Business-centric. Fast, long life. Plays well with IT departments. "Easy deployment" will make it a frequent default choice when work buys your device for you. If you're trying to play MP3s while showing a slide-show of your vacation in Myrtle Beach and IM'ing in the background, you've got the wrong device. (and you clearly don't have enough work to do). Able to do a lot off the net.

Nova - OS2. "Innovative." The interface is everything. Much more dependent on a high speed data connection as applications will use the cloud for heavy duty processing (ala google maps.prc) and final display is on the device. Dripping with eye-candy. Still able to do all the organizer/mail tasks we need for our personal lives.

Granted, I'm totally clutching at straws with Nova based on the snippet from the interview, but it's what comes to mind.

(p.s. I think they should call a 3rd line "Nova," just because it sounds cool)

The other, more worrisome interpretation is like an Automotive heirarchy:

Scion -> Toyota -> Lexus
    Centro -> Nova -> Treo

In which case specs, bells and whistles increase as you go up market. In which case, Nova's specs would be a step down from the 800/850. I seriously hope that's not the case, but it is a possible interpretation.

Other possibilities?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Nova - OS2. "Innovative." The interface is everything. Much more dependent on a high speed data connection as applications will use the cloud for heavy duty processing (ala google maps.prc) and final display is on the device.
    You see all this whole comment about Web 2.0 being tied into their new OS and placing it under the Enterprise Win Treo is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm thinking they are going to make us pay for everything a la cart. For instance it will probably have a-GPS like the 850 which will mean that you'll have to pay the carrier for that option. Will you have to pay extra for email and web video? Maybe they'll make Documents To Go an online thing that you eventually have to pay to use instead what we're used getting already installed for free.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that the new interface will be much better however not even close to an iPhone killer but due to Palms creeping over to the "dark side" and listening less and less to it's consumers I think the new OS will be designed to be more carrier friendly then ever (able to limit what we do) and help squeeze more money out of us customers.

I hope I'm totally wrong but I just have bad feeling about this. Like when the full specs and details are reveled we'll get excited and the next day we'll find out about all the kind of bad stuff I'm predicting now. I have a feeling Palm is not interested in making cool phones on independent platforms for us anymore and has conceded that they'll leave that market for Widows. They might not ever release a device that everyone at TC is currently hoping and waiting for. I think we'll have Garnet Centro's, Enterprise Win Treo's and that thing in the middle (like a finger) will make us feel like we got Foleo'd all over again.

But like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

(p.s. I think they should call a 3rd line "Nova," just because it sounds cool)

Scion -> Toyota -> Lexus
    Centro -> Nova -> Treo

In which case specs, bells and whistles increase as you go up market. In which case, Nova's specs would be a step down from the 800/850. I seriously hope that's not the case, but it is a possible interpretation.

Other possibilities?
    Good post.... interesting interpretation...

The issue I have with palm's suggestion (which I agree with you BTW) is that what IF M$ decides to expand from lexus into toyota territory. Put in a better way, HTC is already pressuring MS to "step up" and play to pro-sumers.... HTC has to be... with their interface, etc... maybe not directly, but most definitely indirectly. Anyone working the M$ mobile devision would look at what HTC built and said, we could ship devices with an application to do exactly that.... but for all phones.

Almost like what they do with vista media center.

Hate to spread rumors but sorta like the windows 7 modular approach everyone is talking about... build what you want... business device or consumer device... or a pro-sumer device... whatever....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Ok.

Scion -> Toyota -> Lexus
    Centro -> Nova -> Treo

Another interpretation, though, would be Dell's model:

Inspiron ==> XPS ==> Latitude

The Insprion are inexpensive, built to a price point.
    The Latitude is the business laptop, robust construction, high quality components, standardized build (and longer product cycles) so they're easier for businesses to support.

But the "pro-sumer" level XPS laptops are more fully featured (and sometimes more expensive) than the Latitude models. They have larger hard disks, more memory standard, and are upgraded more frequently. Style is also more of a design factor, since consumers care about that, businesses tend not to.

I think this model fits better than the automotive one. When businesses buy company cars they're more likely to buy Toyota (or Ford) than Lexus (or Lincoln).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7.    #7  
    Frankly, after waiting so long I'm more excited about Android and HTC Dream then Palm right now. I'm waiting to see what Palm will come up with but I doubt it will beat this:

What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Frankly, after waiting so long I'm more excited about Android and HTC Dream then Palm right now. I'm waiting to see what Palm will come up with but I doubt it will beat this:

What do you guys think?
    Its its pretty cool, but also looks quite complicated and complex. I dont like the graphics and colour scheme. It looks a bit windows 3.1.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its its pretty cool, but also looks quite complicated and complex. I dont like the graphics and colour scheme. It looks a bit windows 3.1.

Surur
    It looks like WM combined with TouchFlo and an iPhone. In other words: yawn.

I'm sure Android will be usable and neat but what is it doing that is so different from those above devices?

We can already do most of that stuff on WM now. And did Google really just bring back the idea of the "desktop" on a mobile device? Really?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    A big selling point about Android is the SDK which is coming from a web-centric company, and which would feel instantly familiar to many working in the industry. It's a crying shame that mobile phones are still voice centric and mostly imitate desktop applications and conventions when it comes to the web. I'm expecting Android to push for a big a shift.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I think I see this a touch differently.

The smartphone market is growing which makes many of us more tech savvy folks really greedy for more specs and more flash in our devices. We also tend to use them more aggressively. However, as much as we might like to think we are the focus of development efforts (being that we would will shell out bigger $$ for a cool device), the reality here is that we are slowly being removed as the prime market.

With that in mind, Palm and the other guys (Apple included) are really trying to focus their effort on the broader an more profitable general market place. (Think Henry Ford and the Model T). This is where I think Palm has the right idea here.

The Centro is a hit...plain and simple...why? Hardware is "cute" yet powerful for the general user and the old POS is perfect for the majority of folks who want to sync PIM stuff with the phone, IM and even POP email and has the capability to do music etc. with very little tweaking. Not to mention the sea of apps for the more inquisitive set.

But the cycle for phones is 2 years (based on technology and standard contracts)....What Palm OS will be out in that time frame? POS2 right.

I bet you money that POS2 will be designed to add a good portion of the crap that we tech weenies would like...but that it will look and feel on the face just like the current POS. By doing that, they (Palm) will be able to transition to not only get those of us with sufficient tech savvy and preference to avoid MS or BB but will be the defacto upgrade for the newly minted Centro crowd.

Skigs
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It looks like WM combined with TouchFlo and an iPhone. In other words: yawn.

I'm sure Android will be usable and neat but what is it doing that is so different from those above devices?

We can already do most of that stuff on WM now. And did Google really just bring back the idea of the "desktop" on a mobile device? Really?
    IMO, it the potential damage android can do to palm... Will nova be any better than android? Guess that is the million dollar question. Will google have a copy-cat palm device that is cheaper than a palm treo?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post

I bet you money that POS2 will be designed to add a good portion of the crap that we tech weenies would like...but that it will look and feel on the face just like the current POS. By doing that, they (Palm) will be able to transition to not only get those of us with sufficient tech savvy and preference to avoid MS or BB but will be the defacto upgrade for the newly minted Centro crowd.

Skigs
    I hope you are wrong.

Palm seriously needs a device that makes "feel" like I did when I first saw the Palm m500.... Damn... I remember what I was doing the first time I saw that device.... like I know what I was doing the time I found out elvis was dead.

Outside of the Palm pilot, very few things in life have made me say "wow."

I want nova to do just that (device and software).... I have faith that it won't though.
    If they decide to wheedle out POS, then my 755p better last me forever, cause I don't handle change very well :/
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Well it looks like Palm has waited so long to upgrade that everyone can now jump ship:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/30/s...hone-and-ipod/
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby View Post
    Well it looks like Palm has waited so long to upgrade that everyone can now jump ship:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/30/s...hone-and-ipod/
    Anyone who wanted to could have done already to Windows devices. And yet, to the obvious consternation of the "another nail in Palm's coffin" brigade, the Centro continues to sell well.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Since styletap is now going to officially be released for the iphone, I guess I'll be seeing everyone around the iphone forums! So long Palm, it's been great...thanks for all the fish.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Since styletap is now going to officially be released for the iphone, I guess I'll be seeing everyone around the iphone forums! So long Palm, it's been great...thanks for all the fish.
    Not until iphone gets a hardware keyboard.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Sure you'll be able to run PalmOS apps on your iPhone but it's not going to make them any better. They'll still be exactly the same as on a 650/700P/755P/Centro and you will still have the same limitations. Surely if you've got an iPhone you would want apps that make use of the hardware/OS
    I don't quite understand the thinking, hopefully it's just a marketing strategy. what's an enterprise device anyway? Other than deployment, they already have active-sync working on good old POS. Why would that be a WM feature only going forward? Why the need for 3 OS's? Obviously they are having problems releasing updates for POS and WM, and now a third OS?

These statements, as well as the inexplicable differences in software versions between existing POS devices, e.g. 755p and Centro seem to indicate that Palm doesn't know how to coordinate OS and application development tracks with device releases. I thought this was due to legacy issues with POS, but perhaps it's deeply ingrained in their way of doing things.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast