Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I don't quite understand the thinking, hopefully it's just a marketing strategy. what's an enterprise device anyway? Other than deployment, they already have active-sync working on good old POS. Why would that be a WM feature only going forward? Why the need for 3 OS's? Obviously they are having problems releasing updates for POS and WM, and now a third OS?

These statements, as well as the inexplicable differences in software versions between existing POS devices, e.g. 755p and Centro seem to indicate that Palm doesn't know how to coordinate OS and application development tracks with device releases. I thought this was due to legacy issues with POS, but perhaps it's deeply ingrained in their way of doing things.
    Enterprise would be for companies, more than likely wm 6.1... straight business machine. Something like I'd want. No frills device... with software and buttons built for business users.

Prosumer would be built for pictures and all the other bs that kids or business kids want. Seems like the Nova OS.

POS for centro devices....

You are right about updates and such.... although, the last wm 5 update palm sent worked find with my treo. Fixed all the issues I had... I agree with you... palm frankengarnet needs to die. More than likely though, if they can keep that os like the centro (without a touchscreen) they can keep the production costs on the machine low until they can redo nova to fit devices without a touchscreen.

And it also could be that the guy was talking out the side of neck... but it does make sense to me.... I doubt if nova would make centro devices sell any faster... why move off POS right away. POS has been around long enough and internal developers know it well enough that you can keep a small team working on it. Heck, POS 5 should be perfected by now.. been out for 100 years or so... give or take 25 years. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I don't quite understand the thinking, hopefully it's just a marketing strategy. what's an enterprise device anyway? Other than deployment, they already have active-sync working on good old POS. Why would that be a WM feature only going forward? Why the need for 3 OS's? Obviously they are having problems releasing updates for POS and WM, and now a third OS?
    WM will be billed as the "enterprise" solution because business wants Windows. They believe (I'm not convince they're right) that "standardizing" on Windows reduces their overall costs. And I suspect that the "prosumer" market doesn't care about exchange integration as much as business does.

These statements, as well as the inexplicable differences in software versions between existing POS devices, e.g. 755p and Centro seem to indicate that Palm doesn't know how to coordinate OS and application development tracks with device releases. I thought this was due to legacy issues with POS, but perhaps it's deeply ingrained in their way of doing things.
    There are different reasons for issues with OS upgrades. Palm doesn't own POS anymore, so they're limited to some degree in what they can do. And Frankengarnet has become such a mess that it's not really worth doing real updates beyond minor tweaks to support specific hardware and fix relatively minor bugs with each new device.

Similarly, Palm doesn't own Windows. They're dependent on MS delivering something workable, and then trying to customize it around the edges. Not owning the whole shebang greatly limits both what Palm can do, and the difficulty of making any changes.

One great benefit to POS2 (or whatever) is that Palm will own it from the inside out, and control it from the inside out. That makes real updates far mor technically feasible.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    what's an enterprise device anyway? Other than deployment, they already have active-sync working on good old POS.
    If ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 works on POS in any way/shape/form, I have to hear more about that. Certificate-based pairing of the phone with the user account... built to be the opposite of open...

Apple can license ActiveSync for its own mobile platform, so why not Palm? Maybe if you are already busy making Windows mobiles, it's harder to see the point of doing that.
    A good friend of mine is carrying a BB Curve and a Treo 700p. He doesn't trust VersaMail for work, but he wants to play games and text his wife (a Treo couple). Is he a prosumer?

I'm happy to carry only a Centro, I use it at work and privately. Am I a prosumer?

Is an iPhone user a prosumer? I don't get it.

The new OS should allow users to carry one device to do everything or else it's a step backward.

Apple can license ActiveSync for its own mobile platform, so why not Palm? Maybe if you are already busy making Windows mobiles, it's harder to see the point of doing that.
    Agreed. I've always thought it was a mistake to go WM. They lost differentiation and focus.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I don't think Palm envisions itself as a 3 OS company. Just three tiers of devices if the current interpretation of EdC around here prevails. Palm OS Garnet is so long in the tooth that it looks like a saber-toothed tiger. Surely Palm is milking it right now to keep some kind of revenue stream until the alleged Nova arrives in devices. Future entry-level devices can surely be ported with a lite version of Nova if that strategy prevails, and more importantly if Nova itself survives.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    I don't think Palm envisions itself as a 3 OS company. Just three tiers of devices if the current interpretation of EdC around here prevails. Palm OS Garnet is so long in the tooth that it looks like a saber-toothed tiger. Surely Palm is milking it right now to keep some kind of revenue stream until the alleged Nova arrives in devices. Future entry-level devices can surely be ported with a lite version of Nova if that strategy prevails, and more importantly if Nova itself survives.
    The trickle down strategy works well. We can see it with car manufactures. (For example, BMW focuses all new tech on the 7 series, then moves it down to the 5 series and 3 series once it is proven)

Now that my wife has had a Centro for a couple months, I can see that Garnet is a perfectly good OS for the entry level smart phone user.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    (p.s. I think they should call a 3rd line "Nova," just because it sounds cool)
    Bad choice for a company that needs all the help it can get to recapture market share. "NOVA" means "Won't go" in spanish. That's bad ju ju IMHO.

Does anybody know how you say "Actually functions properly" in spanish?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Bad choice for a company that needs all the help it can get to recapture market share. "NOVA" means "Won't go" in spanish. That's bad ju ju IMHO.

Does anybody know how you say "Actually functions properly" in spanish?
    TREO
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Selling Windows phones is a terrible strategy for Palm. Palm can't out-spend the big guys when it comes to handset engineering, so Palm needs to leverage its one key asset -- a loyal user base that likes PalmOS.

Windows mobile phones are a commodity. Anyone can make them, and once someone goes Windows Mobile, they'll have no loyalty to Palm anymore.
    Just remembering from a Palm presentaiton from last year. The Palm OS as it is used in the Centro now will die off. Its only function is to push the smartphone market down, and buy development time while the new OS takes its place in time.

WM was (is) to be mainly an enterprise focused piece. Keeping the big company focus, and giving insights into using and implemneting current innovations via ODM relationships.

So yea, the Palm OS as the Centro has it will die. Get over it. Nova will come and eventually be placed over it. Palm *wants* and *needs* it to happen this way. Due to carrier issues and other aspects of development, it just cannot happen faster than what it has.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Nothing to get over.....
    Of course, everyone has differing opinions. Mine only happens to be that I'll be a bit like one of those who still owned a Mustang when Ford released the Mustang II. And, a bit like a 1950's bomb shelter building family, in that I now have 3 650s.....all with modified ROMs, 2 of them are back in the box I bought them in. (Later use, when they're nowhere else to be found). The other has been on my belt in an Otterbox for the past 2 years, and still looks brand new.
    The idea here is that if, like me, you're a person who does not wish to get rid of your Palm OS device, you certainly don't have to.
    I think lots of companies (MS, Apple, etc.) like to do the scare tactics thing....trying to convince us that our current OS is going to magically fail upon the release of a newer one, or that we're going to be left behind in this life...failure of our jobs, our family and our friends, if we don't upgrade. (Even the word seems to have a sneakiness about it, since it is often inaccurate.)
    If you like your Palm OS device as I do, with many of the 50,000 available apps for it, keep it, but guard against ever losing it by getting several more devices, and backing up your software and data. Also, be sure to keep a hard copy of all of your registration codes.
    Last edited by Pete Lorenz; 06/28/2008 at 12:13 PM.
    I just love my 650. I can surf on my laptop using it when wifi isn't available, I can read pdfs on it, listen to music with it. It wakes me up in the mornings (Butler does actually), keeps me amused (Bejeweled 2 and Text twist), keeps me secure (thank you Callfilter and Profiles), keeps me informed (A-lex dict is the bomb), keeps me in touch (IM-like SMS just rocks), and I can take pictures when I don't have my digicam with me. All in all, barring the occassional resets, it keeps my life bearable. I understand Palm's strategy of wanting to penetrate the Enterprise market by coming up with WinMo devices, but what I'm really waiting for is the new OS. Maybe they'll get everything right this time around (but, you really can't please everyone). If that happens, I would be happy to just be called a Palm "consumer."
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It does make sense.
    Except for the fact that Blackberry rules the corporate handheld game, not M$. If Palm becomes another "me too" WM device then they are doomed to failure. There are already many other WM devices that are far superior to anything made by Palm.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12