Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I've convinced 2 friends to dump bb and go with Treos. Both got the 755p and I am very jealous.

Initially, I didn't think much about the 755p because I felt it was simply a better looking 700p, but now I want one, not just for the looks but for the tactile feel.

My question is twofold: First, how long before there is another PALM OS TREO? I wouldn't want the 755p for just a few months.

Second, I am reading a lot about the 800w and the 850w. I have never used a windows OS so I'd like to know if anyone has migrated from Palm OS to Windows OS and liked Windows OS better? Palm OS is so easy for me.

Thanks,
    Sean
    There isn't going to be another Palm OS Treo - Thank God! Don't get me wrong, I love(d) my Palm devices but the stability issues with the Treos are too much.

My understanding is that the next PalmOS phone will be Linux based and is due in 2009.

I'm waiting desperately for the 800w, I don't really want windows but the 3-12 resets/day are killing me.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    Second, I am reading a lot about the 800w and the 850w. I have never used a windows OS so I'd like to know if anyone has migrated from Palm OS to Windows OS and liked Windows OS better? Palm OS is so easy for me.
    I've used a palm since the 90s and had the same worries as you... would I like the windows OS... would I regret not getting a palm... is the FUD about windows OS true...

I pulled the trigger on a 700wx after testing two palm devices and could not be happier. Actually, I had nothing to lose on my 700wx deal, so that made it easier....

Anyway, A 700wx is very smooth and not that bad at all... it is very, very stable.. mine only resets when I reset it.

I dumped that disaster they called a palm 650 after it reset on its own many times.... then kept sending my mother to voicemail. The 700p reset right after I turned it on... lol.... gee.

Only time my 700wx has provide any trouble was after that weather program install... I removed it and smooth sailing... I have about $120 to $150 worth of software installed... car stuff, password program, business stuff, etc....

On a palm I'd never buy that stuff and install it... on windows, you don't worry, everything is fine....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I have had a 700P for a couple of years. It is my business phone. If I left the business tomorrow, I would buy another 700P on Ebay and use that until next year. The 755 is pretty nice, but the miniSD and the battery life negatives for me. I am a power user with lots of programs and rarely have a reset, maybe once a month.
    Man, you guys are killing me. I just purchased a 755p from Verizon. I have an HP iPaq hx4700, which has alot of extra software on it. Used it for a few years, and wasn't crazy about the lags, and freezes on it, even tried the new Windows mobile upgrade on it. I also missed the small program size, and ease of finding software on my old palm.

So I go out and get a T/X on sale at staples. What a great device. I put a ****load of stuff on it, stable as hell.

So now I decide to take the plunge of a pda phone, but just can't imagine dealing with the windows operating system. I looked over both models, but went for the 755.

Now I'm reading all these posts on here and all over the internet, and I'm walking on eggshells with this now. It's only been 6 days, and not even a hiccup. And I'm loaded up already with most of the apps I will need on it. I'm just waiting for the bomb to go off.

I wonder if a majority of the stability issues, are due to compatability of all the junk some of us load on here, but alot of you say "on a brand new reload I still get resets".

I have 30 days to change this, is there anyone besides gapost, that has no major issues with the 755? I have no problem dumping the extra money on the 700wx.

I also wonder how many of you with all the problems that occur on the palm OS, have dropped the device, or got it "slightly wet", left it in a car,with the widows rolled up all day when it was 95 outside, or any other abusive actions that you forget to mention. I'm not accusing, only suggesting. If it was so freakin unstable, why would everyone keep buying the treo with the palm OS?

The 700wx really hasn't been around long enough, battle tested so to speak, to know if it really is so much better, right? Or am I wrong?

Please throw all suggestions this way, as I need to make a decision, as I am already attached, and will have a tougher time, switching over to the 700wx.

Sorry for the long post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifeguy View Post
    The 700wx really hasn't been around long enough, battle tested so to speak, to know if it really is so much better, right? Or am I wrong?
    I've had mine for 16 months in June... I call that "long enough"... don't know what you consider long. lol

In all fairness, I've never handled a 755... never wanted to. That could have been a great device for palm... I'll never know.

My experience has always been, after a week or so you know your device is bad. If it is reseting, you know. If it is sending people to voicemail, you know. If not, keep it and take the chance....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I agree with Theog on this one. A week of steady use tells one all you need to know about the device. Two days after I got the 650 I knew it was bad, real bad. I lived with it for a while and went with the 700P, which for me was stable. I then got a Centro for my wife and she liked it immediately. Two months later I got a Centro and like it. I have had 3 WM devices and disliked each one. I am waiting with baited breath for the 800W.
    The PalmOS has always been good to me. I just replaced my 3 years old 650 with a 700p a couple months ago only because the 650 got crushed at a worksite. I've had no problems with either phone other then an occasional reset due to my stupidity as I like to play with different programs. A couple of friends of mine have different treos (one has a 755 and another a 700wx) so I have been exposed to some of their problems. The 700wx is nice but not as simple to use and the battery life is not as good. It also uses more of the treo's memory and tends to lag when multitasking. The 755 to me doesn't seem to far different from my 700p. The tactile feel and the internal antenna is nice but the mini-sd (why palm did this is beyond me!!!) can be a pain if your upgrading from an older phone but other than that speed and memory are the same as the 700p. If you can hold out till 2009 for the Linux Palm OS then I would hold on to the 700p provided its been good to you. If you want a 755 for the next few months then there is always EBAY.... Just my 2 cents
    Just to make it clear, I have the 700P. I wouldn't trade it for the 755 because of the difference in battery life and the smaller SD card. Those are negatives for me. Otherwise, the 755 is very nice and arguably very stable.
    If I were you, I'd wait...if you can. I had a 700p and switched to a BlackBerry Curve. I mainly did it because I wanted something new to play with, my 2 year upgrade thing was up, and I was too impatient to wait until next year when the next Palm OS device is supposed to launch.

My 700p never had any problems, and if it were a bit thinner, I would have kept it a lot longer. I got tired of the bulkiness, but switching to a 755 won't help much with that, as they're pretty close to the same size.

As for stability issues, I had mine loaded with a bunch of programs and never had a reset. When I did take it into Sprint for a hardware issue (something loose inside from a drop or something), the guy was blaming it on all the programs on it and said they're not meant to have 3rd party apps. I personally never had any stability problems though.
    I'm waiting for the new iPhone. It already has Activesync. If it has 3G, A2DP, and GPS, then I'll jump ship.

I'll pass my Treo 650 to my 11 year old, so all that investment in 3rd party POS applications won't be wasted...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Ahh, if I could go to AT&T, I'd get the iPhone also. Currently, I get 25% off my bill with Sprint. At close to $200/month, that's a pretty hefty savings that I wouldn't get on AT&T. I also think the monthly cost would be a tad higher, even without the discount.
    I agree with the previous statements about the 755. While I personally like the antennaless design, I couldnt do with the mini SD and shorter battery life. Other than that Id go for it no probs. Supposedly from what Ive read on the forums people(for the most part) have had nothing but good things when switching from the 700 to the 755.

One thing you might want to consider if you are on the Sprint network is the 755 upgrade for the 700p's posted by forum member Kocoman.

Ive never really had any problems with my 700p's but the 755 upgrade made my already decent 700 even better.

Only times I really have resets is either app related or something Ive been doing to it.
    I agree with OLD HATCH...I too did the 755 upgrade hack to my 700p and had excellent results. My phone is stabile with no lag time. Could be the answer till the new Linux Palm os comes out...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    FWIW, I started with a Treo 300 and then owned the 600, the 650 and now a Centro and a 755. The only unit I had any problems with was the door breaking on the 300. Since then my units have been flawless.

I have some aftermarket programs but not a ton of them and I have had a 2000 minute plan for a long time, it gets a lot of use.

My favorite by far is the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    The PalmOS has always been good to me. I just replaced my 3 years old 650 with a 700p a couple months ago only because the 650 got crushed at a worksite. I've had no problems with either phone other then an occasional reset due to my stupidity as I like to play with different programs. A couple of friends of mine have different treos (one has a 755 and another a 700wx) so I have been exposed to some of their problems. The 700wx is nice but not as simple to use and the battery life is not as good. It also uses more of the treo's memory and tends to lag when multitasking. The 755 to me doesn't seem to far different from my 700p. The tactile feel and the internal antenna is nice but the mini-sd (why palm did this is beyond me!!!) can be a pain if your upgrading from an older phone but other than that speed and memory are the same as the 700p. If you can hold out till 2009 for the Linux Palm OS then I would hold on to the 700p provided its been good to you. If you want a 755 for the next few months then there is always EBAY.... Just my 2 cents
    As you can tell from my sig, I've been a Palm OS user for a loooong time. I also get about one reset a month. The thing is battered, but has character. I just don't see any compelling reason to upgrade at this time.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    I've had both and while I see little difference between the two, I prefer the 755. The battery life is pretty much the same, and since my mem card was just a micro SD in an adapter before, the transition to mini wasn't a biggie.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Wait. I wouldn't trade for the 755p.

my 755 resets daily, just sitting there. Also, it will reset when I make a call right after waking it up.

I agree with not wanting a windows mobile phone, but the 700p is probably better than the 755.
    I think with resets and what not, it depends on the actual device you have, not the model number.

I had a 650 and a 700p, and never had any problems with regards to resets or lags or freezes. I had quite a number of applications on there, but wasn't a super heavy user. I did get a 700p as a refurb replacement once and that gave me problems. I promptly returned it and get a different refurb that was working great.
  20. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I got a 755 as a warranty replacement for my 700P a couple of months ago.

Pros:

- Nicer package - the stickier coating makes it harder to drop. I don't I've dropped it yet.
    - The lack of an antenna and a somewhat different shape makes it feel more compact relative to the 700P than the difference in measured size would lead you to believe.

Cons:
    - Much less stable. Installing the same set of apps led to a phone that crashed constantly and required several apps to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Lately (knock on wood), it has been pretty good. Other people have found the 755 to be more stable, so it probably depends on the combination of apps you have installed.

- Uses a mini-SD card, so my relatively new 8GB SD card was no longer usuable. A 8 GB micro card in a mini adaptor solved that problem.

Now that I have a fairly stable device, I'd say I like the 755 better, but I don't think I would have paid much to make the switch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast