1.    #1  
    I'm just curious, does the word "Treo" have any meaning? I am a treo lover and have been for sometime, but never have I thought to ask that question till now. now that I've thought of it, I REALLY want to know.... just curious
    Brandon
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandiJ View Post
    I'm just curious, does the word "Treo" have any meaning? I am a treo lover and have been for sometime, but never have I thought to ask that question till now. now that I've thought of it, I REALLY want to know.... just curious
    Brandon
    You got me curious as well. I can't say for sure, but the etymology for
    tree/wood
    was the only reference I could find (OE = Old English, if I recall correctly).

(My Latin days are long gone, but at a quick glance in the online dictionary I don't see anything that could become treo.)

IMO, 'treo' looks like it ought to be a word. Not like iPhone, that looks like more of an XPerience. Or Windows Mobile, which sounds like a construction firm.

-TC
    In this context, I believe "Treo" refers to the functionality of the device - phone, internet, & PDA - a trifecta of function, if you will.
    Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    i think ill go with Andrew's answer, sounds more reasonable to me
    Maybe its because it was three people behind it?
    Hawkins/Colligan/Dubinsky
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    In this context, I believe "Treo" refers to the functionality of the device - phone, internet, & PDA - a trifecta of function, if you will.
    It makes sense that Handspring was happy to engage in some wordplay and probably meant to spoof a new homonym of "trio" one way or the other; I'm not suggesting the word was chosen because it meant 'wood'. Just in case that wasn't obvious. =)
    Last edited by tdcrone; 05/19/2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Missed my preposition. Very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    Maybe its because it was three people behind it?
    Hawkins/Colligan/Dubinsky
    I believe this is more of the case... read it somewhere.
    I think it was somewhere on PIC or in the book Piloting Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    probably meant to spoof a new homonym of "trio" one way or the other
    IIRC, that's exactly how the name originated.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Treo:

1)phone
    2)pda
    3)web browser for email, text and internet

3 tools functioning within 1, if you will.....

..... and I will....
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    When Handspring made the Treo it meant to take the place of a pager,pda and cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by iberiamedic View Post
    When Handspring made the Treo it meant to take the place of a pager,pda and cell.
    I'll 2nd iberiamedic. Read this somewhere. Can't locate link though...
    i my treo | my fav app: mobiTV | my fav portal: Icobase.com
    Nah, I remember handspring's original web site displaying the treo as a pda, phone web functions all in one. I started with the treo 300 through to the 755.

Never saw anything whatsoever about a pager. At all. lol.
    Yes, I remember. Treo to replace:

1) Phone
    2) Fax
    3) Webhosting

But for some reason Logmein's list makes more sense... I might go with his... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    This image will probably disappear soon.... http://i9.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d6/8a/0d88_1_b.JPG

Treo is for "talk organize connect"
    Yep.

1) Phone = talk
    2) Pda = organize
    3) Web = connect

Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Yep.

1) Phone = talk
    2) Pda = organize
    3) Web = connect

Treo.

Indeedle.
    Treo comes from "trio", which means a group of three. So, Phone, PDA, Web, like others have said :P
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!