1.    #1  
    Thinking about picking up a Centro or 680 online (zendoo or ebay), and I was wondering, do I need to pick up a data plan? If I just text/call and avoid using the email, maps or web brower applications at all, will I be charged for any data? I already have unlimited texting, and I just want the phone for it's QWERTY keyboard. Any foreseeable problems?
    Call AT&T and have them block internet access. The upside is no possible chance of using it but you will not be able to send or receive picture messages.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I have had both. I would go w/ the 680. Better keyboard and better screen.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I have had both. I would go w/ the 680. Better keyboard and better screen.

I'll second shucks' opinion on this. The keyboard on the Centro is such a pain to type on, I'd go with the 680. Will be much more comfortable for you.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The 680 is an older model. at&t doesn't really sell the 680 anymore. Right now, only the refurbished ones are available on at&t's online store. I would get the Centro because it's a newer model. You just need to get used to the keyboard. Once you master typing on the smaller QWERTY, you will love the Centro.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    I can't stand the Centro's keyboard. Go with the 680.
    Can't you simply order the unlocked version from Palm and use on GSM carrier such as ATT?
    Go with the Centro if you're really set on a PDA phone, but if all you are looking for is a keyboard, doesn't AT&T offer any qwerty phones? They would make more sense since you won't get a data plan.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    680 Pros:

-Larger screen
    -Larger, much more comfortable "smile" keyboard
    -Larger, better stylus with even better aftermarket replacement designs available
    -Larger stock battery with ability to have up to a Seidio 1600mAh OEM-size battery. Centro maxes out at 1350mAh.
    -Better build quality and (arguably) better styling
    -Larger variety of accessories & peripherals (affordably) available on the open market
    -Can use a fullsize SDHC card so you can swap between your digital camera and use in a PC without need for a micro to fullsize adapter (this is a huge bonus, IMO)

Centro Pros:
    -Brighter/crisper LCD
    -Newer, currently supported device
    -Supposedly better voice quality & volume
    -Slightly newer, more stable version of Garnet
    -Much better software bundle (DTG 10 etc)
    -Google Maps My Location capable
    -Better camera resolution & quality
    -Louder speakerphone volume
    -Lighter weight & smaller size

So overall the Centro has more positive attributes and is likely the better choice for a casual or beginner user. But for a "classic" Palm OS user, power user or heavy typist, the 680 is the only way to go with its larger screen, keyboard, stylus and battery capacity.

The Centro is a better "phone" with PDA capabilities. The 680 is a better "PDA" with phone capabilities.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I had the Treo 680 and now a Centro. I like the smaller size and lighter weight of the Centro. The keyboard is a challenge. I have relatively small hands. I "peck" on the Centro keys with my fingernails to type. My typing speed & accuracy is much slower on the Centro than I used to do on the 680 and the 600 before that. I do a lot of reports on my device. I miss the keyboard and key design of the 600. The Centro screen is sharper, but I personally found it easier to read on the larger screen of the 680 and even the low-res screen of the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormouth2416 View Post
    Thinking about picking up a Centro or 680 online (zendoo or ebay), and I was wondering, do I need to pick up a data plan? If I just text/call and avoid using the email, maps or web brower applications at all, will I be charged for any data? I already have unlimited texting, and I just want the phone for it's QWERTY keyboard. Any foreseeable problems?
    You have to purchase a data plan if you purchase a smart/android phone. Prices vary by carriers.
    No problems necessarily, just take good care of your phone & im pretty sure nothing will happen, besides the normal wear and tear.
    I still use my Centro on random trips, but be careful about data - if you hit google maps or something by mistake, you can suck your plan dry...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.