1.    #1  
    First off, what a great forum! This is my first time posting here. There is really a ton of great information on this site.

Unfortunately, after doing a fairly exhaustive search, I was unable to find an adequate answer to a question I have. And I apologize if this is a fairly primitive question. It is in regards to email access for the Treo devices.

I was simply wondering if it was possible to have email access in "real time" from the Treo devices. By real time, I mean: each time an email is received, are you alerted. Or does one have to turn on the phone, then open some browser and then log into an email account each time one wants to check their email? I'm not sure if the answer depends on the carrier to which the phone is attached.

To put things into perspective, my brother has a blackberry device which alerts him each time he receives an email. He can also immediately answer that email.

Although the blackberry would meet my needs as an emailing device, it fails to meet various others. For instance, I will be starting my medical residency this summer and I would like to have a fairly powerful PDA device attached to my phone so as to be able to run various medical applications. I'm getting a bit sick and tired of having to carry around two separate devices (a phone and a pda).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    If your email is through an Exchange Server, you can get push (realtime) email with Versamail (Versamail comes with the treo). IF you only have regular POP or IMAP email, you can set Versamail up to check your email every X minutes (I think the lowest is 5 minutes). Chattermail will allow some more realtime checking with IMAP provided the IMAP server uses the IDLE command.
    1 - Use EAS (versamail, chatteremail if you have the plugins)
    2 - Use Chatteremail with online account mode (Gmail IMAP for example stays logged in and gives you push email)
    3 - Use SME as mentioned, which fakes push by SMSing your phone when you get new email, which triggers email pull.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

I am currently with Sprint and will probably stay with Sprint for the foreseeable future. So the Sprint Mobile Email is definitely a promising route.

I do, however, have some follow-up questions.

1. In order to use the push service on an exchange server, does this require having access to a dedicated email server? More specifically, is this the type of server businesses use to distribute all their email? I will be purchasing the phones for both the wife and myself, so they will be used on a non-business basis.

2. Also, in order to use both chattermail and versamail, do I need to use an exchange server? After googling both chattermail and versamail, it appears that both of these applications only run on the Palm OS. Am I correct in saying this, or are they available for Windows Mobile, as well? I am looking to get a Palm Treo 800w (if and when it becomes available), which I believe runs on WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwink182 View Post
    1. In order to use the push service on an exchange server, does this require having access to a dedicated email server? More specifically, is this the type of server businesses use to distribute all their email? I will be purchasing the phones for both the wife and myself, so they will be used on a non-business basis.
    EAS does require a server, but there are free services that you can get for this (or paid ones), such as Mail2Web Live. Then you have your non EAS email auto-forwarded to your Mail2Web Live account = push email on all email accounts.

2. Also, in order to use both chattermail and versamail, do I need to use an exchange server? After googling both chattermail and versamail, it appears that both of these applications only run on the Palm OS. Am I correct in saying this, or are they available for Windows Mobile, as well? I am looking to get a Palm Treo 800w (if and when it becomes available), which I believe runs on WM.
    Only if you are using an EAS account, which is optional. You can still use IMAP or POP3 if you want, but you will have to go the Mail2Web Live route I mentioned if you want push email on those types of accounts. I wasn't aware what phone you were actually using. If you are using WM it comes with outlook and has EAS supports built in which works very well.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks so much papped for clearing that up!