Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm contemplating the iPhone that's due in June.

What Palm needs to come out with to keep me is a phone that:
    -- Runs PalmOS. I love the Palm apps I currently have, and this is what's kept me loyal for so long.
    -- Runs on GSM networks. I travel outside the USA, so being stuck with Sprint/Verizon won't do.
    -- Supports 3G data. Hopefully this doesn't necessitate a major rework of PalmOS -- programs like pTunes already multitask, and make the phone app do this too.
    -- Add GPS support.
    -- A decent camera and WiFi would be nice, but are less critical.

I don't care what it costs -- $700 and I'll buy it. But without all four capabilities above, I'm likely to jump...

To keep other people loyal, Palm should also do the following:
    -- Create an online store for phone apps
    -- Give new phone purchasers "credits" for 10 apps, then split $100K among the app vendors who offer their apps for 1 credit. ($1.2M/year to give a bit of juice to the fading Palm developer community is worth it!)
    -- License a handful of pretty apps to include on the phone (hint: new phone buyers want some eye candy to make their friends jealous -- Palm just doesn't get this; Apple does). Maybe some apps like MobileClock and Bejeweled?
    -- Create a handful of skins for the phone & launcher apps. (See above about
    -- Offer an on-line backup service that's ready to use. Don't charge extra for it -- it's a loyalty thing.
    -- Consider merging with Motorola. MOT knows how to make nice hardware.

If the iPhone is 3G GSM with GPS and Palm (and possibly even has a hack to support tethering) doesn't match it, I'll be leaving Palm for the first time in nearly a decade. But I'm *want* to stay with Palm and just hope that it'll happen...
    At this point it would most likely have to be VGA as well, even moreso if it was in the high price range.

I'm already jumping ship to Motorola though, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post

-- Runs PalmOS. I love the Palm apps I currently have, and this is what's kept me loyal for so long.
    -- Runs on GSM networks. I travel outside the USA, so being stuck with Sprint/Verizon won't do.
    -- Supports 3G data. Hopefully this doesn't necessitate a major rework of PalmOS -- programs like pTunes already multitask, and make the phone app do this too.
    -- Add GPS support.
    I've got my Centro for about 1.5 months, and my feeling is kind of different from you.

+ Palm OS is pretty crappy. It doesn't even have a direct switch among running applications. I'd say that's the basic requirement for any "OS". The lengthy way is to go through multi-step home-button, and the shorter way is to set up a favorite button. The number of "real" (one-press) short-cut buttons is so limited.

+ Although it has a camera, I've never expect a phone camera can give you decent picture. Simply, a phone camera is not made for photographing; it's made for toying. A decent camera itself is more than $700.

+ I'm pretty happy with the 3G data rate. Is there a need for having both WiFi and 3G on the same phone? It's just like to have a wired and wireless network connection on a laptop. I can image it's justifiable for a laptop, but for a cell phone, I'm not a big fan to work on the Internet in such a small display.

I think that centro is acceptable for its 3G usage, and that's why I've kept it.

For future, I'd love to have a large foldable display and a flodable keyboard. Ideally, the display can be as large as 4x4 inches when it's unfolded, and the carrying size is as small as the current size, around 2x4 inches.
    Last edited by bitcalc; 05/10/2008 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
    + Palm OS is pretty crappy. It doesn't even have a direct switch among running applications. I'd say that's the basic requirement for any "OS". The lengthy way is to go through multi-step home-button, and the shorter way is to set up a favorite button. The number of "real" (one-press) short-cut buttons is so limited.
    It is easier to navigate from app to app through hardware keys though than WM. Assuming you use a 3rd party app to assign hw buttons you can assign pretty much all your commonly used apps to a hw shortcut. Between that and not needing to close/manage apps I think it's fairly even between WM Palm on this.

+ Although it has a camera, I've never expect a phone camera can give you decent picture. Simply, a phone camera is not made for photographing; it's made for toying. A decent camera itself is more than $700.
    Yup, not to mention it's 1.3m when even 2.0m camera phones take crappy pictures. Also there's no room really for a good lens, so no matter how high the megapixels are it will take crap photos in comparison.

My MAJOR qualms are:
    1 - Crappy usb/serial cable. Any other device using USB 2.0 is insanely faster and can natively be used as a mounted drive.
    2 - No BT 2.0, this is pretty basic also
    3 - Slow loading apps from SD card that are large in size. WM is so much faster at this it's sick.
    4 - Palm JVM is dead
    5 - Versmail is THE stock email app and you can't store emails/attachments on the SD card. Same problem with Blazer.
    6 - The default Palm launcher SUCKS at using apps from the SD card and category management. They need to take a hint from some 3rd party launchers out there.
    7 - The default file manager sucks. At least include Filez natively or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
    A decent camera itself is more than $700.
    More then $700?? Maybe if you're a professional photographer. Otherwise cameras in the $200-300 range are just fine. Any casual photog who spend more then $700 for a camera is either stupid or has lots of money to **** away.
    My understanding of Garnett is that it is incapable of handling 3G. Same with WiFi, and these are 2 killer features of almost any modern smart phone. The Palm OS is dead, has been for years. It's just that nobody told it to lie down! Developers see little incentive to write apps for the Palm OS, and rather than start from scratch, Palm has decided to give us Windows Mobile (not a fan) and to slap band aid after band aid onto Garnett. You can patch a turd all you want: it's still a turd.

I'm sure everyone saw the Blackberry announcement this morning. The Blackberry 9000, a.k.a. "Bold" is official. Look at the feature list! http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...lly-announced/

I'm seriously considering going back to Blackberry for this. Or maybe the Nokia E71 (T-Mobile 3G) when it drops. Either way, my Treo 680 is my last Treo unless they do something drastic. And if I have to wait for 2009 for that, I'm a memory.
    BB data plan is too expensive. It costs as much as my entire plan, data and minutes.

That reason alone is going to at least keep a lot of Sprint users from going to a BB at all.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    It is easier to navigate from app to app through hardware keys though than WM. Assuming you use a 3rd party app to assign hw buttons you can assign pretty much all your commonly used apps to a hw shortcut. Between that and not needing to close/manage apps I think it's fairly even between WM Palm on this.
    I end up assigning the applications I use frequently to the quick-launch buttons on the phone, so I don't find this to be a problem. Likewise, multitasking isn't something I want to do on a phone.

I've tried Windows Mobile, and it was awful. And I mean AWFUL. I don't know why Palm keeps making WM phones -- I assume Microsoft is paying Palm some money as a "Embrace, extend, extinguish" kind of thing.

Yup, not to mention it's 1.3m when even 2.0m camera phones take crappy pictures. Also there's no room really for a good lens, so no matter how high the megapixels are it will take crap photos in comparison.
    Palm's cameras are crap, but so are most other phones. I'd be delighted if Palm added a camera that actually took decent photos, but it's not a requirement for me.

My MAJOR qualms are:
    1 - Crappy usb/serial cable. Any other device using USB 2.0 is insanely faster and can natively be used as a mounted drive.
    I agree, that would be really nice...

2 - No BT 2.0, this is pretty basic also
    3 - Slow loading apps from SD card that are large in size. WM is so much faster at this it's sick.
    4 - Palm JVM is dead
    These aren't as big a deal for me...

5 - Versmail is THE stock email app and you can't store emails/attachments on the SD card. Same problem with Blazer.
    Actually, you can do this. When viewing the message, tap on the icon for the attachment itself (NOT the attachment name). It'll let you save it to the SD card.

6 - The default Palm launcher SUCKS at using apps from the SD card and category management. They need to take a hint from some 3rd party launchers out there.
    7 - The default file manager sucks. At least include Filez natively or something.
    I don't install enough applications that memory size is a problem for applications, and I use FileZ, so I'm OK with things as they are, though I'd agree that these are things Palm should do...
    Actually, you can do this. When viewing the message, tap on the icon for the attachment itself (NOT the attachment name). It'll let you save it to the SD card.
    It doesn't let you store emails for the accounts on the SD card though. Also, in order to download the attachment, first you have to download it to your email client, then save it to the SD card. This means that at least initially, you end up storing it on internal memory anyways.

Palm cameras are indeed crap (like most other phones). The problem is if you have a crap camera (especially 1.3megapixel) AND no flash, now you have a really, really crap camera.

I've tried Windows Mobile, and it was awful. And I mean AWFUL. I don't know why Palm keeps making WM phones -- I assume Microsoft is paying Palm some money as a "Embrace, extend, extinguish" kind of thing.
    I would guess it's due to developer support.

One other thing that I like about WM and not about Palm is actually the accursed Registry. You can hack A LOT of WM just with a simple regedit. WM is fairly lacking by default, but with some tweaks like using OpenDNS and increasing browser connections (which Blazer will not allow) my PocketIE flies. I realize most users probably won't care about this or even bother hacking their phone, but I use it a lot and it makes a big difference to be allowed to change things.
    Last edited by papped; 05/12/2008 at 02:06 PM.
    I'm pretty happy with my Centro. Only one thing missing "Soft Reset Hole". Not because of Palm, but because of 3rd party apps.
    JohnLar your right with your wish list. And it will cost $$$.
    As far as WinDoz & RIM, not for me.
    For a $99 Centro you can't expect it to do everything.
    My son has an iPhone, yes it has WiFi that works great when your in range of a server. Otherwise he has to go on the internet just like Palm users. Oh by the way he bought the cheap 8GB @ $399... Ouch.
    Like I said, I'm pretty happy with my Centro.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post

-- Add GPS support.

I don't care what it costs -- $700 and I'll buy it. But without all four capabilities above, I'm likely to jump...

To keep other people loyal, Palm should also do the following:
    -- Create an online store for phone apps
    -- Give new phone purchasers "credits" for 10 apps, then split $100K among the app vendors who offer their apps for 1 credit. ($1.2M/year to give a bit of juice to the fading Palm developer community is worth it!)
    -- License a handful of pretty apps to include on the phone (hint: new phone buyers want some eye candy to make their friends jealous -- Palm just doesn't get this; Apple does). Maybe some apps like MobileClock and Bejeweled?
    -- Create a handful of skins for the phone & launcher apps. (See above about
    -- Offer an on-line backup service that's ready to use. Don't charge extra for it -- it's a loyalty thing.
    -- Consider merging with Motorola. MOT knows how to make nice hardware.

If the iPhone is 3G GSM with GPS and Palm (and possibly even has a hack to support tethering) doesn't match it, I'll be leaving Palm for the first time in nearly a decade. But I'm *want* to stay with Palm and just hope that it'll happen...
    All that and A2DP + AVRCP
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I want the next Palm "PHONE" to have a decent "PHONE" in it!!!!

Both my wife and I have Treo (650 and 700p). I can't stand it when she calls me from the school bus pickup spot. The kids getting off the bus are loader than she is! On a recent trip with her girl friends they decided that her treo had the worse phone in it (compare to blackberry, moto, and LG phones - I don't know the model numbers, sorry).

The volume for both speaking and listening is too low without a third party app.

Make the next phone loud, cancel out the background noise, make bluetooth rock solid, support BT2.0, and make bluetooth loud.
    The 755p and Centro are already better in that aspect (particularly the 755p which has a clearer speakerphone).
    Aside from multi-tasking, memory protection is needed so individual apps don't bring the device down. I'm sure it's coming in the next version.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Oh gosh where do I start! I have been a Palm user for only two years but in that time have seen the wireless age flourish. Within the last couple years Apple, HTC, BB, Moto have all been spitting new devices out left and right with some impressive improvements. Palm on the other hand, not so much. I am a POS user so the thought of the 800W doesn’t really excite me. Even if it had POS, I would still likely pass due to minor add-ons.

The rumored improvements such as GPS, Wi-Fi, EVDO RevA in one device are all nice and dandy but nothing NEW or GROUND BREAKING. These improvements are just being developed to stay current with competition and the ever changing market.

Innovation is what I need! Take what is already available from other devices and ADD TO IT! All though I love my Treo I am about to jump ship maybe look into the Samsung Instinct.

I use my devise for everything! I need something that can handle my every day life. Palm is slacking in this department. The pics of the 800W looks like a silver Centro with WM. I hope Palm can reinvent their devices. New form factor new OS and cutting edge technology with a UI that kicks ****!. Articles suggest 2009 will be big for Palm. I hope there right or I am moving on.
    ^^ Not to mention the hardware quality of all said manufacturers seems higher than Palm...
    you guys are soldiers for willing to wait to 2009. i have been loyal since the treo 600 (i have a 680 now) and i'm sorry but i can't take it anymore. i have been waiting for a modern palm os treo (GSM) and palm has said screw me for several years now.

so i'm out, getting the iphone v2 or the htc diamond. good luck.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    You are the soldier, trusting that those devices will just work because they look cool.
    can't get any worse. i'm not getting it because it's 'cool'. i'm getting it because it has modern features that any pda phone should have in 2008 that my 680 doesn't have.

one of the reasons that i skipped iphone 1 was because it didn't have a modern radio. why buy a phone in 07 that has a radio technology from 05-06?

and even the weakest htc phone is better than a 680. the only reason why i haven't jumped shipped before was because i was waiting for a new treo with palm os, not winmo. it's obvious now that waiting is futile and that i need to roll with a more progressive manufacturer (apple, htc, etc).
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    What "modern features" specifically? How is the "weakest" HTC "better"? You're being vague and touchy feely about all this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast