Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do any of you have any friends or business aquantences that have a Treo, Centro or Smartphones and they just refuse to use the IM, TXT or email function of the phone?

In fact when you send them a message (IM, txt or email) they do one of two things.
    a. they call you instead of responding to your message.
    b. They don't respond to your message.

I hate that.

For example, I have a contractor that I work with. He has the phone setup so that all his emails are pushed ti his device. But, he won't respond to any of the emails on his device. He will respond once he gets back to his home office at 7-8pm.
    Its the same way with text messaging. He just won't respond. I don't get it.

Get a dumb phone and stop wasting money. Then at least I will know I have to call you.

I'd rather send messages than talk. I'd send messages when I am occupied and not in a position to talk. I send messages, cause thats why I have a Centro. (smartphone)

I know this contractor friend is not the only one that does this. I see peole do it all the time. It's kind of werid. IMHO

I don't get it.. Why do people spend all this money on the smartphones and internet plans an not use them??!!

Please Explain.
    It is easier to call than text or email. Sometimes the back and forth exchange can be delaying so the tendency to call is more efficient.

I favor email over voice because it is self documenting and I can think out what I write. Text are minor stuff non-critical exchange of information.
    I agree with Ronbo. My device is doing ChatterEmail from around 6:30 am to about 10 pm every single day. When an email comes in I look at it and if I am busy and have to respond, I call. Often times the other party does not have PUSH and the wait, well that to me is down time.

Ben
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    For example, I have a contractor that I work with. He has the phone setup so that all his emails are pushed ti his device. But, he won't respond to any of the emails on his device. He will respond once he gets back to his home office at 7-8pm.
    Its the same way with text messaging. He just won't respond. I don't get it.
    When I was a contractor, I had serious problems with this. At the time I had a BB, and I never really knew how to bill for time that I was, for example, feeding the kids dinner/waiting at a stoplight/picking up my son from school but also answering e-mail. I wound up under-billing, as I just didn't charge for any transient e-mail work at all.

Tax implications of home-office deductions, 50% of work at, etc. probably don't help. I got out when I realized I didn't know how to bill... =)

In general I'd say there's something to be said for knowing you have an e-mail and wanting to wait for a convenient time to respond, versus not knowing if such-and-so information is available yet. I respond to e-mails on my Treo, but I admit that I usually wait 4-6 hours unless it's something very short.

-TC
  5.    #5  
    Wow, I MUST we the exception. I truly respond and live on my Centro.
    I'd rather not wait to respond to anyone. I will wait to respond to customers that need detailed questions answered. But for the most part everything is on my phone.

I also consider it rude when people don't respond to a txt.
    I also consider it rude when people don't respond to a txt.
    I do as well.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  7.    #7  
    It amazes me that people will take the time to look at their phone, seem the message and then put it away.......
    Talk about a waste of time?!
    Most of the time it boils down to, does the incoming message take priority over what I am doing right now. 90% of the time the answer is no.

Personally I loathe text messages and pretty much refuse to use it unless that is the only way to get the information. A phone call is a lot more personal.
    Usually when a text message comes in I am doing something and my hands are tied (i.e., driving, typing on the computer, moving things around the house). So I have to call back using my BT headset. Sending a text message would slow me down.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  10.    #10  
    I find this interesting.
    I view txt messaging as a delayed yet instant way of communication. I know (hope) the other party is instantly able to communicate with me. However if there is something really important I am working on ,I will delay messaging back.
    But, that delay is no more than 5 min, any more than that and it is rude. Most people message and hope for a response with in 5 min or so. Anymore time than that and they don't even remember why they messaged you.
    Others will send txt back and forth all day and that's how they communicate.
    Calling someone who sent me a txt message is weird (unless instructed so in the text message.). I look at it like this. They sent me a txt cause they don't really want to hear my voice or they are busy and just need a quick response.
    My $.02
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Dunno about being rude...just personal preference, really. Some people just don't like talking on the phone much. Some people don't like txt messages.

I have friends that respond to txt messages right away...I have friends who don't. But I also know the people who don't, won't...so it's no big deal.

TXT messaging never caught on here in the states like it did overseas where voice minutes are/were very expensive but texting was next to nothing. Here in the states voice minutes were/are so plentiful....and the texting was/is comparitively expensive. Most people don't even bother to put txt messaging, let alone unlimited txt messaging on their phones.

Save yourself some irritation (and the high blood pressure) and just accept the fact that some people just aren't going to want to TXT.....and move on
    My Dad had this catch phrase for life in general:

'Do unto others as they would have you do unto them.'

So my etiquette is to always respond with or in the same medium as the message came in . . . . txt for txt, email for email, or call for call . . . . . unless I feel that some new information I might have dictates a change . . . . .
  13.    #13  
    LOL, that's an option. Just get a dumb phone.
  14.    #14  
    Perry, I totally agree.

Hey I think the bible stole that quote from your Dad. :P
    I think the bible verse was 'as you would have done unto you' . . . . .

but my Dad took it a step farther. . . . . . . . maybe they like their eggs sunny side up . . . rather than the scrambled you like . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    So my etiquette is to always respond with or in the same medium as the message came in . . . . txt for txt, email for email, or call for call . . . . . unless I feel that some new information I might have dictates a change . . . . .
    I can dig that.

LOL, that's an option. Just get a dumb phone.
    There is a lot more to a smartphone than just email and txt messages. Those functions are only about 5% of why I use a treo.

I try to only check my email once every 2 to 4 hours. Interuptions from txt messages and emails cause to much of a disruption to work flow. (Something I've had 3 time management lecturers tell us.) It takes something like 10 minutes to get back into the flow you were in prior to checking your email. Food for thought.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    . . . . . . . . maybe they like their eggs sunny side up . . . rather than the scrambled you like . . . . .
    Scrambled man I am. Close enough.

There is alot more to smartphones that txt and email, agreed. I do quite a bit with my Centro, most of it is not in the txt/email area.

But, I don't see how someone calling to say. "hey, did you send me that email." Isn't that a waste of time?!

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.
    But, I don't see how someone calling to say. "hey, did you send me that email." Isn't that a waste of time?!
    It is. Texting has the added value of making conversations/dissimination of information much shorter and quicker. Especially if there are times when you need to send just a quickie for an FYI.

Regarding email, I have a quick message saying, "You've got mail." to let people know that I sent them an email so they may check it at their soonest convenience. They can shoot back, "Thanks" and that's that. I can move on.

Had I called, the phone call could easily turn into a 10 minute conversation. Sure maybe it takes 10 minutes to get back to work, but I still have the eight that I saved by texting which consumes all of about two.

Just tell them to use JOTT, they call the 800# record his/her message, & JOTT will send it to you in an email or text, now everyone's happy plus JOTT is FREE!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast