1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I am new to this whole Treo thing, and I wanted to know which would is best/easier to operate? From asking around most state that the Windows Operating System is better as far as resolution, upgrades etc., but the Palm OS is easier to operate. I simply need this organize my life because I am tired of carrying around a cell, and scheduler. What to do? Please HELP!

Which has the voice recognition???...
    I've used a Palm device for the past 3 years or so and love both its ease of use and the vast amount of programs available for it. I've played around with some Windows devices, and we have one at work (for scheduling stuff), and it seems to be either more difficult to use or just something I need to get used to. Since you're looking for something just for personal organization, I might suggest the Palm device. If you can wait though, there SHOULD be a new one, with a new OS, coming sometime either late this year or early next year (I hope). It should also have the same ease of use, but may have more features.

Now, some cons for Palm OS.... It's only available on the Treo and Centro. Centro's too small for me, and the Treos are too bulky for me. If you go with Windows, you have more hardware to choose from. That's the main reason I'm thinking of leaving Palm. I'm looking towards a Blackberry though, but those are usually more expensive to maintain per month.
    Have you done a search for this topic? There are bunches of threads that all ready cover what you are asking. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by biturner View Post
    Hello all,

I am new to this whole Treo thing, and I wanted to know which would is best/easier to operate? From asking around most state that the Windows Operating System is better as far as resolution, upgrades etc., but the Palm OS is easier to operate. I simply need this organize my life because I am tired of carrying around a cell, and scheduler. What to do? Please HELP!

Which has the voice recognition???...
    Fast and dirty answer:

Windows with wm 6.1... that will hold you for a while... Palm os is not worth the investment if you keep your phone any amount of time.

In addition, I've found my windows phone 100% more stable than any of my palm phones ever dreamed of being.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    No such thing as an easy answer I'm afraid. The truth is that most smartphones will handle the minor requirements that you mention. You should also consider a Blackberry handset as well. The newer 8830 or 8130 are both excellent devices. While I personally own a Treo 700P on VZW, I also have access to an XV6800 on VZW as well as an 8830 so I am familiar with all three OSs.

You did mention voice recognition and to put it in context you should be aware that the voice recognition on any of these devices is limited. I would say that the *potential* for a more comprehensive voice recognition system exists with the Windows Mobile OS, Blackberry being very good for voice dialing and Palm OS being relative weak (no voice dialing over Bluetooth).

In any event voice recognition is nothing like it is on a desktop. You can't dictate notes if that's what you're hoping for. There have been a smattering of attempts by some vendors to do this, none have been successful.

As far as ease of use, I think that the Palm OS is incredibly easy to use, with Blackberry being a close second. Windows Mobile OS comes in last for ease of use.

As far as being the most powerful, I would say Windows Mobile comes in first, with Blackberry a solid second and Palm OS at the back of the back.

The Palm OS is not going to be enhanced and there isn't going to be much in the way of new applications being created for it. Blackberry and Windows Mobile, on the other hand, will see a lot of new applications in the future. My expectation is that you will see a lot more on the Windows Mobile side simply because they have a more open development environment.

But if your needs are really that basic, you won't be disappointed no matter what direction you take.
    I would probably say Windows even though I myself prefer Palm. From the bit of reading I have done, what seems to often be the case is that people who get acustomed to Palm OS find Windows rather bulky regarding ease of use. I find myself in that category.

HOWEVER,

My wife, who is not tech savvy, has a Windows device (Verizon XV6800) and loves it. In the mere few weeks she's had it I've heard no complaints from her. She previously used the Zire 71 (Palm OS), but I think because she did so on a very basic level the transition wasn't a problem for her.

If you are going from nothing (or little) to something, I think there is plenty of room for adjustment for whatever you get.

HTH
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    My wife, who is not tech savvy, has a Windows device (Verizon XV6800) and loves it. In the mere few weeks she's had it I've heard no complaints from her.
    Now that is impressive! I've been playing with one for the better part of a month and a half and while I recognize it's a powerful device, I'm still not a big fan at all.

Now I'm not trying to stereotype women at all, but I would assume that a woman would be even less likely to enjoy working with a phone as bulky as that and as user unfriendly as it is. Most women I work with (I'm in I.T. for a living) hate the larger phones and those that do like them only deal with Blackberry handsets. Good for her!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Now that is impressive! I've been playing with one for the better part of a month and a half and while I recognize it's a powerful device, I'm still not a big fan at all.

Now I'm not trying to stereotype women at all, but I would assume that a woman would be even less likely to enjoy working with a phone as bulky as that and as user unfriendly as it is. Most women I work with (I'm in I.T. for a living) hate the larger phones and those that do like them only deal with Blackberry handsets. Good for her!
    My nieces love theirs... I don't think it has anything to do with being a woman... I know a lot of guys that don't like bulky phones... or rather phones with a bunch of "technology" built inside.

Matter of fact, where I complain of size, they smile and hold up their purses.

The windows mobile os is not that bad... I still don't get why people complain about it. It works just like the palm OS imo. Fairly easy to click on start, go to programs folder, go to your program and click on that program. lol

Funny to me....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Have you wandered down to the cell company to see what they have? I have looked and considered a Windows device. I had a 700W and had issues due to the lack of memory. If you want something easy to use, the Palm OS is about as easy as it gets and regardless of what some people say, it just plain works. Fewer steps to get to the same place, one might say. I had concerns about the Centro; however, I consider it to be a reliable device that works very well in a work related environment. The amount of software for the OS is vast and frankly, other than "multi=tasking" and "multi-waiting," there is nothing Windows offers for most users other than WiFi and similar functions.

Ben
    I've had one Palm PDA then a 650 and a 680 dating about 5 or so years of Palm history. I wanted something more powerful, so I took the opportunity to grab a Tilt at a cheap refurb price, which is a Win Mobile 6.0 device.

It's laggier, over slower, much more cumbersome to use, and very inconsistent with the GUI and how things are ran.

Examples. the "Ok" button sometimes means minimize, sometimes it means close, sometimes it means "Save" and there's no other way to close a settings window...

Another example is installing programs. Sometimes they show in the Programs, sometimes they don't. If they don't, you have to launch them via a File Explorer or a third-party launching tool.

And this "sometimes it's a cab, sometimes it's a PDA exe, sometimes it's a Windows exe" thing is highly annoying too.

But WM does have more powerful programs and apps available, except for email. There just is no decent Chatter replacement.