Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Don't forget, the carriers subsidize that cost. MSRP is I believe $399 for the Centro, so about $150 less than a Treo series, more or less.

I suggest reading the transcript for their Q3 report. They are well aware of the "lower profit margin" and are riding it out till they release their new WM Treos will which begin to off-set these losses.

They plan on returning to profitability in early 2009. In all seriousness, all these "problems" of Palm are well known to them and I suggest that others should read it to get the straight answers as to their long-term plans as they have bee fairly clear and upfront about their current and future positions.
    I have very little confidence that palm will ever recapture the presence they had in the enterprise market; new OS or not. That leaves the consumer market, which is getting very crowded. I think its safe to say that Palms greatest years are behind them.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have very little confidence that palm will ever recapture the presence they had in the enterprise market; new OS or not. That leaves the consumer market, which is getting very crowded. I think its safe to say that Palms greatest years are behind them.
    Really?

I'd never be so bold to predict anything in such a market. Smartphones are just starting to hit consumers--this market is going to explode in the next few years.

"Smartphones accounted for 11 percent of all mobile phone sales in 2007 in the United States and this is expected to increase to 35 percent by 2011." (IDC)

Palm is also a tiny company (~1,100 people)--so for them to return to profitability does not take dozens of devices, just a couple.

Palm has been very clear:
    • WM Treos for Enterprise
    • Palm Nova for consumers/pro-sumers/small business

The notion that 11%+ of the market for consumer smartphones has been tapped means that competition is over is very, very short sighted imo. Who knows who will be where in the market in 2 or 3 years.

If Palm didn't have a plan (Nova), didn't work well with MS and hadn't hired 3 Apple execs, I'd say your "little confidence" had teeth, but noting the previous points, honestly anything can happen to Palm in the future.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/10/2008 at 05:29 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    We won't know anything until the next line of WM phones comes out. Palm's future rest solely on those devices.
    So windows mobile is Palms enterprise answer. I cant speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, windows mobile is getting its **** kicked by RIM in the enterprise. WM is just a very difficult platform to support in large organizations. When I first started at my company most mobile users used the palm os, then they switched to windows mobile, now its all blackberry (we will be supporting iPhones though come june). We no longer allow new windows mobile devices for non-European employees.

Even if palm blows away the competition with their new OS (and we all know they wont), they will never have the dominate market share they once had.
    I doubt they dominate the market like they did once. But the market is growing.

WM, from what i hear, was more than tolerable on a Treo. Palm does manage to marry it well to its devices. The 800W appears to have every feature you can throw at it.

Iphones are jokes for business. I couldn't imagine making a decision to switch my firm over to those. That's problematic in lots of ways with the first being the iphone creates a teenie bopper impression to start. 2 handed operation. Huge lack of features. I remain doubtful whether even iphone 2.0 would be up to the task. The only positive would perhaps making employees a bit happy, but you really want them having phones you can be more productive on.
    So windows mobile is Palms enterprise answer. I cant speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, windows mobile is getting its **** kicked by RIM in the enterprise. WM is just a very difficult platform to support in large organizations. When I first started at my company most mobile users used the palm os, then they switched to windows mobile, now its all blackberry (we will be supporting iPhones though come june). We no longer allow new windows mobile devices for non-European employees.

Even if palm blows away the competition with their new OS (and we all know they wont), they will never have the dominate market share they once had.
    Re manageability - WM is about to become a whole lot more manageable, certainly in the enterprise.

http://msmvps.com/photos/restoredpic...6/425x295.aspx

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Re manageability - WM is about to become a whole lot more manageable, certainly in the enterprise.

http://msmvps.com/photos/restoredpic...6/425x295.aspx

Surur
    Im not just talking about remote policies and configurations. The extra end user support, usability calls to the help desk, and frequent device replacement was the main reason we dropped WM. Give an employee a blackberry, with little training they were up and running. Give an employee a WM device and prepare for support calls. Also, you simply cannot compare enterprise technical support between RIM and Microsoft (atleast their windows mobile division).

We got sick of dealing with the "how do I do this...." type of support call.
    Im not just talking about remote policies and configurations. The extra end user support, usability calls to the help desk, and frequent device replacement was the main reason we dropped WM. Give an employee a blackberry, with little training they were up and running. Give an employee a WM device and prepare for support calls. Also, you simply cannot compare enterprise technical support between RIM and Microsoft (atleast their windows mobile division).

We got sick of dealing with the "how do I do this...." type of support call.
    Of course WM device is more features rich, therefore users are trying to do more in their device. Unlike the BB device, most users will only use it as email device.

Actually what you mentioned is the user experience. The same thing happened to our organization, we provided the BB to WM users or Treo user and most of them returned the BB device to us. Does it mean WM or Treo better than BB? (Individual preference. No comment)

Recently we encountered problem in a few BB devices. We called the service provider and we were asked to check our BB server and email server. We found that that everything looked normal because other users did not have problem. The service provider told us their service was normal, the problem was due to our server configuration or RIM. As a result, no party admitted the problem. The funny part was the problem gone by itself after a day. For WM, when users encountered sync problem. We only need to check the mail server and the phone reception, if everything is normal then we only need to turn off and turn back on the phone or soft reset the device.

For me, I am using a Treo 750, a Centro and BB Curve. I don't see BB is better than other two device.
    Doesn't everybody see the obvious? You will pull for what you currently use! Once you become unhappy, you change and will then rave about that one! Sure there are questions about this or that, profitability, size, market share, features, etc. Ultimately you will speak with emotion about what YOU like. I'm no different: I use a 650 (dinosaur) and am happy with it...: Is it perfect? No. Does it do what I need? Yes. Would I like it to have more **** (memory, speed, wifi,blah,blah,blah)? Of course. I had an iphone for three months, a BB Curve for another 4 and am back to my old 650. The only reason I'm considering a 700p or 755p is for the volume problem, other than that I'm happy!

Anyone steer me to a Palm Nova review?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12