1.    #1  
    The Centro is the only Palm phone to make the top 10. It scored 6th, although it was only a few ratings points behind the leaders. Palm better be working on a true Fruit killer (Apple & Blackberry) in the next year or it may be their demise.

And don't think I'm a palm hater either. You can see based on my signature, I'm all about the Palm OS. But the next Treo had better be perfect or my friends trying to get me on Windows Mobile devices may win me over.

Read the countdown here. http://tech.msn.com/products/slidesh...mentid=5489213
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    And the problem is, even the top dudes have their problems. There is no perfect device. I have never considered Wi-Fi to be important. GPS? possibly, but I have yet to need it. Ben
  3.    #3  
    For me it's a matter of, the technology is out there...what are you waiting for? Palm was always on top of new ideas and new technology and now they can't even keep up. I was temped to keep my 650 until Wifi, GPS and Stereo Bluetooth, but changing providers allowed me to go to the 755p. I'll admit, the processor speed, high res screen and higher speed wireless are nice, but there's very little WOW factor anymore.

Palm OS 6 may blow my doors off but it's seeming more and more like Vista...so much hype and such a long wait for simply everything you were expecting in the next gen OS.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    Palm OS 6 may blow my doors off but it's seeming more and more like Vista...so much hype and such a long wait for simply everything you were expecting in the next gen OS.
    Long wait, definitely.

Hype? There is no hype when Palm has barely said a peep on it--they're not making promises on anything, but at least they are still "on schedule" according the latest conference call.

The only hype is from forums and blogs

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There is no perfect device. I have never considered Wi-Fi to be important. GPS? possibly, but I have yet to need it. Ben
    That is accepting mediocrity.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    No, it is knowing that no device is perfect and not everyoneagrees on what is necessary.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Long wait, definitely.

Hype? There is no hype when Palm has barely said a peep on it--they're not making promises on anything, but at least they are still "on schedule" according the latest conference call.

The only hype is from forums and blogs
    I'm expecting BIG things from the former head of the iPod and iMac businesses, the former head of hardware product development at Apple, and the inventor of the iPod.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I'm expecting BIG things from the former head of the iPod and iMac businesses, the former head of hardware product development at Apple, and the inventor of the iPod.
    Oh me too,

I'm just saying there's a difference between "hype" and "expectations"

Hype for me would constitute Palm coming out and saying "our OS will blow everyone away" or "will be universally compatible with X", etc.

You know, marketing stuff where they promise you the world. MS is pretty good at this (not with WM necessarily) but with waving amazing new technology in front of you at trade shows but not releasing it...

AFAICT, Palm is just quiet on what this OS will do...

I was just reinforcing your point that the hype comes from forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I was just reinforcing your point that the hype comes from forums.
    ahhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    You don't realize how helpful GPS is until you have it! You may not think that WiFi is necessary, but I find that EVDO isn't what it's cracked up to be. Most of the time, my data speeds compare to dial up.
    Haha, I considered GPS as something that makes me feel dependent on these tech devices. It's almost always a temptation to always use it even if you know the way.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    And the problem is, even the top dudes have their problems. There is no perfect device. I have never considered Wi-Fi to be important. GPS? possibly, but I have yet to need it. Ben
    That is accepting mediocrity.
    Or possibly understanding the difference between using a smartphone as a tool as opposed to waving it like one?

If you don't need a feature why pay for it, carry the extra hardware or suffer the reduced battery life???
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    My wife has a Centro and I am still using my 680. Having set up, used and played with her Centro, I believe it is a perfect example of "build it and they will come".

To me the most compelling aspect of the Centro is that the hardware and the software seem to be well integrated. It 'works' and that to me is more valuable and compelling then a crap load of features that don't work with the software or are not implemented well in the hardware.

For example, my wife had a 680 and could never leave it unplugged over night (neither can I) because with its idle battery drain issues it would be dead in the morning. Not so with the Centro, with the same software set up, she has a healthy charge when she forgets to put it on the cradle overnight. That small thing, is an example of the device working for you, not you for it and makes the experience more pleasant and more productive.

If Palm can start to get those types of issues right again on a consistent basis then they may well get their mojo back because they will be different and better that their competitors.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    I totally agree. The Centro is fantastic and a great way to usher out that OS. It's what I wanted the Treo to be finally.

I really wouldn't mind a form factor like that to continue with the new OS as i'm sure it will have appeal. But we all know widescreen is taking over. I'm all for losing the key board i suppose as Palm has its WM version for businesses.

I suspect palm will have:

high speed...and will make me happy at sprint.

Browser. They know the competition out there now.

email, video, camera, text, IM, gps, slingbox, stereo BT, etc. Maybe even compatiblity with old palm apps as well as new ones. They need to tag a pockettunes like app to an online music/video store.

Yet, even with all that, palm will have to do something to make it stand out (i'd already be sold). Whether its something special to have online storage/backup..syncing, streaming etc. Something that makes it unique to palm.

I play world of warcraft occasionally and would love to see a mobile app for that. Not one to play the game, but where you could access it enough to see your toon or "chat" online. A ventrillo app would be nice too. Since i have an iphone as well, i wouldn't care who comes out with these...

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/02/13...ng-considered/

http://www.ventrilo.com/applications.php