1.    #1  
    I use Chatter on my 755p. Has anyone ever tried to decrypt PGP/GPG messages on PalmOS? A quick google search only shows some really old links about an old port of PGP to the palm handhelds which doesn't seem to work on the treo's.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    hi tracerrx

I have looked for years for an app that would do that, and never found anything.

you might however be interested in the freeware app, CryptDrive, by the living legend Alex Pruss, discussed on 1src here

It works very well, and allows you to create the equivalent of PGP containers on your Palm. While at the moment there is no desktop communicability, Alex mas mooted making it compatible with the open source PC app, TrueCrypt.

For its purpose, there is nothing else available that even comes close to Alex's app, commercial or otherwise.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks TRgEOff, thats not what I wanted to hear. Have you ever tried the PGP for RIM phones?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I've also looked for that sort of application, but have never been able to find anything, either. I've read comments to the effect that the encryption/decryption process would be too intensive for a Treo's processor, but some folks apparently have a PGP Mobile service that does file encryption on a Treo. I'd love to know what the trick is that lets PGP Mobile work but not an email encryption program...
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerrx View Post
    Thanks TRgEOff, thats not what I wanted to hear. Have you ever tried the PGP for RIM phones?
    Nup.

I think it's strange there's no-one who's done it properly for Palm. I had a friend who did a port of GPG to work off a pendrive, and he said the app was pretty simple, so I dont really think it should tax the PalmOS too much. Ive read another report where a PGP-oriented developer supposedly looked into it but found PalmOS too flaky for his liking. (If your Treo is connected to a Windows PC, you can run that GPG port off the Treo's SD card also).

Next time i post a question in the CryptDrive thread on 1src, Ill try to remember to ask Alex's opinion on this point. You never know with him- instead of answering, he might just whip up an app overnight!
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 03/26/2008 at 11:33 PM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    This thread seems overtly stale, but none-the-less... GPG needs to come to the Pre and it needs to get integrated into email. This one item would add so many security capabilities to the device it would be GREAT!