Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone do this? With almost everything avalible via itunes. I am failing to see the use of home internet service like Comcast, cable tv via Comcast and my DVR. They all seem to be getting very expensive and not of much use, I can go to a coffee shope with free wifi an download all of my music and tv shows in a hour or so and I save $50+ a month.

Do any of you just use your Centro/Treo as your internet and mobile source for everything?

What do you all think?
    Sprint would cancel me in a heartbeat if I shunted all of my Internet traffic to its data network... LOL
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I currently don't have a desktop in my condo (I'm an oddball, yes) so for approxamitely the past 2 years or so, my 700p (Verizon) has been my primary internet connection.

I wouldn't say I do ALL things 'net related on my Treo, but I would say that the vast MAJORITY of my internet experience occurs through my Treo (approx. 95% on an average day).

Keep in my mind, my 'net needs are pretty basic (check e-mail, research stuff, shop, posting this reply to you right NOW, etc.). You can do most basic things with Blazer. But when I need to say, print out some online document, then I'll go the library, or use my parent's desktop (which is where I back up my Treo's data).

I do plan on getting a desktop or a laptop soon, if for no other reason than to be able to backup the data on my handheld.

Regards,
    Brent
  4.    #4  
    I have 2 laptops, now days most of my shows r downloaded via DVR to mac and then I watch them on my ipod touch. I don't have time to watch tv the conventional way and I find myself using my Phone as a modem or browsing, shopping and posting stuff on it.
    What is Sprints data cap?
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I have 2 laptops, now days most of my shows r downloaded via DVR to mac and then I watch them on my ipod touch. I don't have time to watch tv the conventional way and I find myself using my Phone as a modem or browsing, shopping and posting stuff on it.
    What is Sprints data cap?
    I dunno... It is 'unlimited' but we all know how that tends to be a misnomer. I've heard stories of people getting cut off.

Anyhow, I download Gigs o' data a month between the four users at my house so I wouldn't want to chance it.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    If all your doing is checking email , texting and searching the web a few hours a day its cool BUT if your using it all day and using programs like PDA Net to connect to the web using a Treo/Centro they will cancel you so fast. tons of storys on here about this. Unlimited does not mean "Unlimited" . "Unlimited" means unlimited usage under normal net user conditions. Otherwise they want you to pay per usage.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    To use the Treo as a tethering device, you're supposed to have a tethering plan. PDANet & the tether mode hack violate the terms of service of any plan. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the download cap, more with them realizing that it's not 'Treo' usage and cancelling you completely.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  8.    #8  
    I'm not really talking about tethering. I may do that. But all in all wifi is free and avalible in most places now.

I think i'll give it a shot.
    Give it a short. Last night there was no power in my area for 3 hours and I used PDANet to get my work done - it was great.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Sprint would cancel me in a heartbeat if I shunted all of my Internet traffic to its data network... LOL
    I imagine Verizon would do the same for me (though I'm not quite familiar with their data plan).

That said

- My wife and I attend school online and it simply is easier (particularly her--who isn't tech savvy) to have a typical ISP. We can download our documents to our desktops/laptops, open them and work with multiple windows open with relative ease.

- I believe it would be much easier to download the things I need to download direct to a PC (software, updated Linux distros, Ubuntu updates, etc).
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    My wife and I attend school online
    I, too, attend school online. I finished my B.S. in October and am starting my M.S. in April.

That's one of the many things that sucks down bandwidth in my home...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I, too, attend school online. I finished my B.S. in October and am starting my M.S. in April.
    Being nosey, might I ask what in (I suspect something to do with computer science looking at your signature)?

Right now the program I am enrolled in is for Business Administration; however, due to a position change at work I may be able to switch to either a computer-related degree or Economics (since the company is footing the bill, they get the final say).

Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    Being nosey, might I ask what in (I suspect something to do with computer science looking at your signature)?

Right now the program I am enrolled in is for Business Administration; however, due to a position change at work I may be able to switch to either a computer-related degree or Economics (since the company is footing the bill, they get the final say).
    Yep... My B.S. was in Information Technology / Visual Communication. My Masters will be a Master of Information Systems.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Eeek...I'm done with School for the Time being.. Just completed my BS in Law Enforcement...Still Recovering from all that Hwk. My last paper was 28 pages long on Racial Profiling-Consent Searches of African American Males-In Relation to Drug's and Contraband.....god that paper was a pain..but I learned such alot of information and I got a B+ on it...

B
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kg6bki View Post
    Eeek...I'm done with School for the Time being.. Just completed my BS in Law Enforcement...Still Recovering from all that Hwk. My last paper was 28 pages long on Racial Profiling-Consent Searches of African American Males-In Relation to Drug's and Contraband.....god that paper was a pain..but I learned such alot of information and I got a B+ on it...

B
    Heh... Congrats.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Yea because of where I live comcast wants $59.00 for their Cable Internet...with my $30 Sero and PDAnet I get by just fine for AIM and Email...and Job Hunting now that I got that $30k Degree...lol..Now time to look at different Police Departments
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Yea because of where I live comcast wants $59.00 for their Cable Internet...with my $30 Sero and PDAnet I get by just fine for AIM and Email...and Job Hunting now that I got that $30k Degree...lol..Now time to look at different Police Departments
    I wish you luck on your job hunt. If you find any PD's needing a good IT manager let me know... ;-)
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Yea because of where I live comcast wants $59.00 for their Cable Internet
    Wow!!

Right now, I am paying roughly $30 for my internet (although, it was a one-year deal with the former ISP who is now Comcast).

19.    #19  
    I am going to unplug my router and give it a shot this week.
    I'll be using my centro for small internet and my coffee shop 4 major stuff.
    I'm going to try that out sometime in the near future. I don't think I'll be surprised to see I'm just as productive on my Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast