Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let me see, Palm misses the mark AGAIN in their third quarter.

Palm Releases Financial Results for Q3, 2008

Palm 3Q Earnings Below Expecations

CLUE: Palm, you need to take better care of your existing (soon to be former) customers. You need to get a competitive OS and hardware platform immediately.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!
    Someone please tell me why the Blackberry is burying Palm ?
    My wife and I have tried both and we both have Palms.
    Okay, I'm aware of some bugs and glitches, but overall why is the Blackberry so popular, marketing ???
    Ease of use out of the box. Wide support by IT departments.
    Updating the hardware and software for more consumer use didn't hurt either.

It's getting so only die hards support Palm and it's old OS and somewhat old hardware.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Like the other thread indicated: it's all about web browser and email client. Otherwise why people want an expensive smartphone? For music? Come on. For organization? Dumbphones do that quite well these days.

Amazing, after so many years Palm still have not killed the stupid Blazer team and the email client (what's its name?) team. BlackBerry at least has native java support to easily add opera mini and gmail.
    Palm has possibly the best email client for ANY mobile system in Chattermail (which they now OWN), and they still haven't been able to sell it as a solution.

They should be burying RIMM, but RIMM continues to innovate on form factors and features (in the 650's heyday, Palm had the more innovative devices while RIMM was still arguing that there was no need for an SD slot even), and RIMM's marketing dept is completely schooling Palm's (and M$'s mobile device marketing for that matter).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Anyone buying palm stock? remember buy low, sell high. lol

Funny thing is I was reading about how bad palm was two years ago while taking a grad course. Heck, the material in the book had to be a year old.

I'm surprised palm is even still around. I doubt if anyone would be surprised to visit Palm.com and see a black screen. Lights out, Baby.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by scopes View Post
    Someone please tell me why the Blackberry is burying Palm ?
    It is kind of perplexing. I was at the jewelry store just last night with the wife and the sales rep. there had a Blackberry. However, he mentioned that he liked his older Treo 650 much better. To be fair, I'll note that he mentioned he had only had it a few days. What he seemed to really miss was the touch screen aspect.

I realize that is only one person, but I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't really enjoy their Palm.

On the flip side, while I don't watch much television, I don't recall ever seeing a commercial for a Palm; however, do recall one or two for the Blackberry.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    It's all about marketing. Palm fails at it.

BBs don't even compare.

Yet it does prove even if you have a superior OS or product, you can't rest on it. Need to update it or people quickly get "tired" of looking at the same thing. Even if it is still superior to the "modern" OS's out now.

Palm did get passed up in the browser game and looks like a loser in the widescreen touch category. Something they should've been in on..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's all about marketing. Palm fails at it.

BBs don't even compare.

Yet it does prove even if you have a superior OS or product, you can't rest on it. Need to update it or people quickly get "tired" of looking at the same thing. Even if it is still superior to the "modern" OS's out now.

Palm did get passed up in the browser game and looks like a loser in the widescreen touch category. Something they should've been in on..
    They should have marketed the Treo's vastly superior capabilities when RIMM was making bricks. Today RIMM has better form factors and more features, but Palm/M$ should still be heavily marketing the OS difference.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Looks like Palm committed the same sin as Motorola: staying with an old, tired design too lone. Both in terms of physical aspects and the OS. What's changed since the Treo 600 as far as form factor? They hacked off the antenna?? Failure to innovate = death.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Looks like Palm committed the same sin as Motorola: staying with an old, tired design too lone. Both in terms of physical aspects and the OS. What's changed since the Treo 600 as far as form factor? They hacked off the antenna?? Failure to innovate = death.
    The difference I think however is that Moto really tried though, but to no avail. They made candy bars and flip phones and sliders and touch screens and QWERTY's, all to no avail. Once you are no longer hip and passe nothing can save you.

Surur
    I still think RAZR2 is a hot little item. Optical glass, metal, a big screen, streamlined design, etc. I really wish they'd advertise it like they did the old RAZR.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I still think RAZR2 is a hot little item. Optical glass, metal, a big screen, streamlined design, etc. I really wish they'd advertise it like they did the old RAZR.
    Everyone will just see the same shape as the old Razr and yawn.

Surur
    Look on HoFo, lots of RAZR2 fans there.

I actually got excited when I first saw the site for RAZR2, because the RAZR has been revamped!! It was the old version that is tired.

I think we all knew that Palm's financials would be going south... it was very obvious with the release of the Centro... at $99... a device that bettered all the previous, high priced Palm Treo's. It was completely obvious that the Centro would cannibalize the sales of the higher margin Treo's, and the WM Treos just haven't kept up with the other WM devices on the market. So, no surprises at all...

As far as Moto... The RAZR2 is actually an okay device, just way too expensive compared with its competition. For example, on Sprint, the RAZR2 is priced around $220 ($429 retail) when its competition is like the Muziq ($100/$300 retail), the Katana DLX ($100/$320 retail), and the Samsungs M510/M520 ($0/$50, $250 retail). The RAZR2 really doesn't offer anything more than those competitors -- all are thin, stylish music/featurephones, yet the RAZR2 costs more than twice as much.

The V3M and the Q had horrid quality control, lag and battery life issues. So basically the splashi-est Moto phones really weren't very good, from a technical standpoint. The latest crop are much better (V9M and Q9C) but still have battery life issues. So I'd say that Moto's problem has been the lack of truly great products at competitive prices.
    I look around where I work and see that the battle has been won with email. How many companies issue blackberries to their staff; then how many issue anything else? How many use WM and ActiveSync to enable email access; then how many are left with Symbian or POS? My company dropped access to POS last summer due to security issues.
    When you're talking the prices that most of these phones cost, you either better have the best marketing minds in consumer electronics, a killer hook, or the support of corporate IT. Guess what Palm has none of that.
    I love my 650. I love that Chatter still lets me get to email when I shouldn't. But I look at my EDGE speeds; limited memory; lack of GPS; or WiFi; or BT 2.0; or leverage of my card slot; or full size earphone jack; or mini-USB connection; and regular resets; and BT hic-cups, and lack of simultaneous voice and data, and wonder will there be a Palm solution for me when it's time for a new phone.
    Palm has had 4 years to get from the 650 to the 755 and Centro, and all they have to show for it is that they've eliminated the antenna, gone to EVDO, and increased the camera resolution.
    How many products has RIM released, or HTC in that span?
    I can't understand why Palm doesn't advertise and promote Chattermail. I think it would be a huge help in rebuilding their image.
    Personally, I think Palm should emulate the Linux Distro concept to some degree. While I am a bit late in the game here (regarding phones and PDA devices), I think the greatest thing to hit Palm (though not officially) was the option for creating Custom ROMs.

Why not develop a method whereby people can "officially" create custom ROMs? (NOTE: I include the ability to set options for various software going into the custom ROM.)

I realize that may sound like a nightmare for tech support, but let's be honest here: People find more tech support on forums such as this one than they do from the company, Yes?

That option alone would have been great for IT departments who might wish to have an option for reconfiguring phones from one employee to the next or with the most up-to-date configuration they wish to use.

As I see it, that kind of "relationship" would have benefited Palm considerably--at least I think.

Not sure if they did this or not, but they should have employed a person or two or three to do little but scour the internet (such as sites like this) and gather data on what was being talked about. Those things go directly into the development of the next models coming out. It's as simple as that.
    Last edited by DL.Cummings; 03/25/2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added a couple of lines
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    The V3M and the Q had horrid quality control, lag and battery life issues. So basically the splashi-est Moto phones really weren't very good, from a technical standpoint. The latest crop are much better (V9M and Q9C) but still have battery life issues. So I'd say that Moto's problem has been the lack of truly great products at competitive prices.
    I guess Motorola itself agrees (or its stockholders anyways...):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080326/...oxDsAddx4jtBAF
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by layla17 View Post
    I can't understand why Palm doesn't advertise and promote Chattermail. I think it would be a huge help in rebuilding their image.
    Perhaps...

a/ They bought it to kill it?
    b/ They're saving it for a killer feature for PalmLinux?
    c/ They forgot about it during the Foleo fiasco?
    d/ All Palm's management have secretly bought shares in RIM?

The short answer is, there is no logical reason!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast