Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    first of all , nice site you guys have here. looking throught the posts didnt quite get those answers that i need though.

I'm a nurse in need of a phone/ pda. i've been tinkering around too long with regular phones (currently my env that i pretty much use for texting and gaming mostly). im currently looking into the treo lineup and have been pretty much taken by them since seeing my brother, who is also a nurse, use them a lot for medical purposes.

Funny story! i pretty much introduced him to Palm because i bought him a Tungsten in Nursing school for that reason alone( which he later gave to me as a hand me down when he got rich enough to buy the 650...yay for me, f-er).

well anyways, been debating between the current lineup of Treos and been confused about a lot of features such as:

1. going on the internet - do you really need a card just to go online? Do Wi-Fi cards only allow you to do this with the Treos?

2. Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile 6 - which is easier? and which one would i be able to put in more applications since i work in a lot of departments (ER,telemetry, medsurg, and ICU)
    i know that palm has supporting software from Skyscape, but im not sure if those apps can go on WM 6.

3. extra memory - if the wi-fi card has to be there for the online capability, does that mean i wont be able to save stuff on my card, do i have to flip back and forth???

pretty much the only things im really concerned with. maybe you guys can enlighten me about at least one of the 3 things that i have enumerated.

thanks in advance. just trying to keep my sanity from going blackberry,,,and even i have a few questions for the bb community in their forum as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenka View Post
    1. going on the internet - do you really need a card just to go online? Do Wi-Fi cards only allow you to do this with the Treos?
    Treos all have built-in data connectivity through your cell phone provider. As long as you have a cell signal you have internet. There are variations on how much that costs depending on what provider and if you go GSM vs CDMA but most providers offer an unlimited data plan for a reasonable fee. Sprint is by far the cheapest as far as data goes, especially if you get in with a SERO plan.

2. Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile 6 - which is easier? and which one would i be able to put in more applications since i work in a lot of departments (ER,telemetry, medsurg, and ICU)
    i know that palm has supporting software from Skyscape, but im not sure if those apps can go on WM 6.
    There are plenty of arguments for and against Palm OS vs Windows Mobile. You can search around for more threads on that if you want, but to be honest either one can do pretty much everything the other can. It comes down to personal preference, so head to your local Sprint/Verizon/whatever store and play around with the demo units to see what you like better.

3. extra memory - if the wi-fi card has to be there for the online capability, does that mean i wont be able to save stuff on my card, do i have to flip back and forth???
    PalmOS Treos don't support WiFi cards. I think they work on Windows Mobile (someone else can correct me on that if I'm wrong) but as I said earlier you don't need WiFi for internet access. Just get an SD card as large as you want (most treos support 4-8GB cards) and leave it in there.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755